minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  New Scooter Fan...Need Help
JJSOmaha
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:18 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Hello-

I'm new to the scooter world, but wanted to ask your expert advise on a good scooter.

I'd like to purchase a new one, for right around $1,500 if not less that will last for awhile, and go at least 55 or so if need be.

Can you please tell me some good brands and models as I'm just starting out, and there are so many out there.

I'd like to stay with a retro look rather than newer, but that's not set in stone.

Thanks in advance!
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You're not going to get a worthwhile new scoot capable of going 55 for $1500, period. You could buy a cheap Chinese knockoff for that price, but you'd be forgoing all the benefits of buying new (dealer support, warranty, etc.).

If you need to go 55 then you'll need something with at least 125cc engine, which mandates a motorcycle endorsement. There's a small number of 50cc scooters that can be derestricted to hit 55 (the Kymco Super 9 comes to mind) but they also require a motorcycle endorsement.

The Vino 125, Kymco People 150, and TnG Milano (?) are about the cheapest scoots that meet your criteria, and new they're all well above your budget. I'd highly recommend you either (1) buy a used Kymco or Yamaha that meets your needs if you need to stay at $1500 or less; or (2) spend the money to get a good new scooter.

If you want to stay at or below $1500, I'd highly recommend you watch http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/ and check out the classifieds on this site, at the strib, and at the pioneer press for a good used scoot. If you want new, go talk to Bob at scooterville and see what he can do for you - it won't be too close to $1500 though.

There are some sketchy Chinese bikes out there, and if it looks too good to be true, it is. Friends don't let friends ride deathtraps*.

* Unless it's a vintage smallframe and they know what they're getting into...

some_dude
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
Friends don't let friends ride deathtraps*.

Huh? Is that a slam on smallframes?

I don't know if you have ever ridden a smallframe, and I have only put a few miles on a Stella. But I'm pretty confident thet my vintage small frame is a considerably more responsive to rider input and (for me) that is what makes one two wheel vehicle more safe than another.
Lisa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Another nice feature of the vintage smallframes is that it is easy to remember to turn off the turn signals even without the annoying beeping.
Egan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:16 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

and the batteries don't die on ya.
and the spark plugs REALLY last in them.
and people don't ask "how much was that thing?"

morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

to return to the point of the thread, tom is right, $1500 won't cut it for a good, 55mph-capable, new scooter. maybe used, but do your research first!

scoot! magazine, http://www.scootquarterly.com/, does a buyer's guide every year that's really helpful. you can order a back issue of this year's from their website.

stick with the well known and respected brands: honda, yamaha, kymco, TNG, aprilla, derbi, vespa, piaggio, bajaj... and i'm probably missing a few...

...and if you don't know for sure about a bike, post or lurk on the international scooterists BBS "illegal and bad scooters" forum: http://www.scooterbbs.com/ or here before you buy!

good luck, scooters are cool.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

some_dude wrote:
Tom Lindsay wrote:
Friends don't let friends ride deathtraps*.

Huh? Is that a slam on smallframes?

I don't know if you have ever ridden a smallframe, and I have only put a few miles on a Stella. But I'm pretty confident thet my vintage small frame is a considerably more responsive to rider input and (for me) that is what makes one two wheel vehicle more safe than another.

Whoa, I think you're taking things waaayyyy too seriously. I was trying to add some humor to my post, and that's all. It's not a pro-stella / anti-smallframe issue - I'd love to have a Vespa 90. The point is, we don't want some new scooterist having his enthusiasm for scootering destroyed by a piece of cheap Chinese crap.

If you want me to explain the motivation behind this apparently failed attempt at humor, i can. But the point here is to steer our new potential scooterist toward a reliable, safe, and enjoyable scooter such as those made by Piaggio (Vespa, Aprilia, and other), Yamaha, Bajaj, Genuine, TnG, TGB, and others.

some_dude
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
Another nice feature of the vintage smallframes is that it is easy to remember to turn off the turn signals even without the annoying beeping.

You've got turnsignals on yours? Pretty fancy.
some_dude
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
Whoa, I think you're taking things waaayyyy too seriously.

You don't know me very well. There are very few things I take seriously and stuff I find in scooter forums is not one of them. You attempted humor. I attempted to correct potentially bad information. 'Nuff said. Next topic.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

some_dude wrote:
You don't know me very well.

Do I know you at all? I'm never able to go on the Sunday rides, and very few vintage bikes have joined us for the TNR, so I bet I don't know you. But if I meet you I'll buy you a beer - I'll make it two if you ride a smallframe on a TNR...

Egan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Here ya go.

1985 Yamaha Riva XC180 Deluxe
Description $1500 FIRM. 180cc!! This is the "Deluxe" model. VERY good condition! ONLY 3774 miles, as of today (currently driven). It has all digital display, good tires, luggage rack, clear title, and current registration and tags. Email contact prefered. Sorry, no money orders or checks. Cash only! I had a scammer hit me already, but I did not fall for it. Nothing personal. Just covering my basis.
Location Norman, Oklahoma
Phone 405-292-3214

On scoot.net

Lisa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I use my arm to signal silly! If I didn't turn off the signal it would get tired. HA HA HA! I know, I'm LAME.

I rode Dan's Stella today. I HATE that damn beeping. The whole reliability thing isn't so bad though (as I prepare to go out to the garage to work on a dead scooter that's still waiting for parts).
Kevin K
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
I use my arm to signal silly! If I didn't turn off the signal it would get tired. HA HA HA! I know, I'm LAME.

I rode Dan's Stella today. I HATE that damn beeping. The whole reliability thing isn't so bad though (as I prepare to go out to the garage to work on a dead scooter that's still waiting for parts).

This can easily be remedied with a wire cutter and some electrical tape.
The beeper, that is. Not your arm.
K
Brad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[quote="Lisa"]I use my arm to signal silly! If I didn't turn off the signal it would get tired. HA HA HA! I know, I'm LAME.
quote]

On the Duluth Run I used my arm and forgot to turn off my signal (the beeper speeker is taped over). I think I went 20 miles one time with the signal on.

Actually, the beeping is pretty cool when you get about 6 stellas/bajaj's together. Sort of like a asyncronous twinkling sound.