minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  An End to my Broken Clutch Cables
dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hello All,

Some of you will remember my recent rash of broken clutch cables. The first clutch cable broke around 1900 miles. The next one lasted about 2 weeks or so and it let do on the Duluth Blister Run. What PITA to be change the cable as people watch on and it is 90 degrees in the sun.... It wasn't a big deal really. I had a spare and maybe it was a bum cable... Well I got the beast on the clutch again and 1 week later, tonight it breaks again. WTF I say to the stella gods. Well anywazs, I was 4 blocks from home. I made ok and so did the bike....

I loaded the wifey and kid into the car and head to the nearest scooter store (scooterville). Lo and behold, scootervillian, is there and the place is dead. I got some advice on replace the outer and inner and managed it in about 10 minutes or so.... not as bad as I thought. I did find the culprit, a cut outter cable. The shifter barrel had cut through the outer and I can see the metal spiral reinforcing... not good...

Lessons I learned:

1.) is you are snapping inners quickly, time to replace the outer and inner cable.
2.) It is a Mo Fo to get the speedo cable on again. I wouldn't recomend taking the headset cver off unless you really need to. Note: Disreguard if you have freakishly small fingers.
3.) When you take of the cable nub on the clutch side, be careful if you have to unscrew the bolt as there is a little "jesus" piece in there. As in, oh jesus, where the fuck did that go? So off to visit Bob again before the TNR...

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Excellent! I have to say, this has been a fun year - a whole bunch of us bought new Stellas around the same time at the beginning of the riding season, and we've been progressively getting more confident and competent at working on them. Just today I disassembled my headset to do the halogen thing, and the big lesson i learned is that the speedo cable is a bitch, but otherwise the headset's not so bad.

While I was in there I noticed that the outer on my clutch cable has a sizeable gouge in it from the shifter - this was at noon, before I knew about your experience, so it's just serendipity that this was in the same day. My inner seems still to be in fine condition, so it's not a pressing issue for me, but yeah, I'm going to have to replace my outer fairly soon too. It's because we live in the middle of the city and ride in stop-and-go traffic a lot, shifting constantly. I have an inner ready to go in my glovebox - your Duluth experience made me buy that - but perhaps I should get a new outer too...

See you tomorrow night! And the halogen's beautiful...

jsyx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i guess i have freakishly small fingers...
you guys didn't just take off the headset out of curiosity??(or to lube yer cables?)

Kevin K
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh. Reading the title of the post I assumed you had finally gone with a handlebar/rod linkage Vespa.
My bad. ;)
K
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I Wish I had a handle bar vespa, but alas, no. Well it is not too hard to change the outer cutch cable. The hardest part about it is getting the end down the headset and then through the body opening around the engine....You really need some strong tape. I used electrical tape wich is really sticky and streches a lot...

Yes Josh you have freakish fingers. :-)

My cable broke where the cut was located Tom. I bet your isn't long for this world either. Be careful!

Dave
Adam
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Glad you found the culprit to your clutch cable issues, Dave. Thanks for the information. As they say, a word to the wise is sufficient.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well I got a new pinch bolt. I am going to make it to the TNR! Yippiee!!!!

Dave
My Pal Foot Foot
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:36 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

A little trick for you all. Push some of the speedo cable up from where it connects to the drive pinion down at the bottom. The extra two inches really help. And it has been established elsewhere, it is good to have arms, and I guess fingers like a 8-12-year-old.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks! What worked best was to have the wheel pointe forward and then pull as much slap up as possible, but it still was a pain...

Dave