minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Terrible Scooter Accident
Justin242
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:01 am  Reply with quote
Training

Car Crashes Into Minneapolis Beauty Salon

One man is in the hospital and another's being questioned by the police after an ugly accident in Minneapolis. It happened earlier tonight at the corner of 35th St and Penn Ave North. Police say the driver of the car broadsided a scooter, seriously injuring its driver. Seconds later, the car slammed into a beauty salon.
Luckily no one was inside at the time. Investigators are trying to determine if sun glare was a factor in the accident.

http://www.kmsp.com/news/story.asp?1648922

Hope he's okay, does anybody know this person?
nate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I love the fact that the headline is "Car slams into beauty salon!"
And not "Car seriously wounds passenger on two wheeled vehicle!"

That poor beauty salon.
kennylibido
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

More importantly, what is the scooterist's condition and is he/she anyone we know?
Brooke
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

That sounds not far from Spikhead, Ritchie or Moses. Someone give them a shout.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Also C City Records lives around there, I think.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Moses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Present, accounted for, and healthy.

Ritchie? Spikehead? CCR? Give us a head's up.

Any word on the scooterist yet?

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I saw this on the news last night. It was some kind of twist and go. Cheap Geely or something...
Spikehead
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Moses wrote:
Ritchie? Spikehead? CCR? Give us a head's up.

Wasn't me, but I can actually understand how this one could have happened. The sun sets directly in-line with the direction of westbound traffic in this area at this time of year. It's VERY hard to see where you're going if the skies are clear.

I'm very wary of westbound traffic when I'm out on the roads in the evening hours.

My condolences to the family of the beauty parlor. Grrrrr...
Ritchie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:00 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Wasn't me,I'm still alive and kicking.
Burk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:47 am  Reply with quote
Noob

wasn't any of the Geely riders.... at least that I know...
I hope who ever it is- they survive to ride again....

for what its worth:

When I started riding last year, my buddy who is a very experienced motorcycle rider sent me this link:
http://motorcycles.about.com/od/msftrainingandsafety/p/saferidingtips.htm

and said "pay attention to number 4"

4.) Beware of Oncoming Left Turners: Beware of oncoming motorists turning left in front of you at intersections. This is the leading cause of death of motorcycle riders. I'm deadly serious here. I have personally lost many friends to this accident. If you only remember one tip here, let it be this one. Slow down before you enter an intersection. Have an escape route planned. Stay visible. Don't travel too close to cars in front of you. Position your bike so it can be seen by the left turner. Eye contact is not enough.

The blind driver taking a left in front me does seem to be one of the top problems with driving in the city.... and direct sunlight in the eyes of west-bound traffic doesn't help matters either....

wheeled
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Assume Drivers Can't See You: Ride assuming that you and your motorcycle are totally invisible to motorists. That means you must never assume that drivers can see you. The odds are, they can't so believe it yourself and always have an "out" for dangerous traffic situations.

2.) Maintain Safe Spacing: Leave plenty of space in front and back and to the sides from all other vehicles. Be an island. Stay away from traffic as much as possible. This gives you more visibility and more time to react to situations.

3.) Anticipate Trouble: Anticipate trouble situations and know what to do when you see them. Analyze what vehicles are doing and try to predict the outcome. Then make sure you're ready to avoid a bad traffic situation.

4.) Beware of Oncoming Left Turners: Beware of oncoming motorists turning left in front of you at intersections. This is the leading cause of death of motorcycle riders. I'm deadly serious here. I have personally lost many friends to this accident. If you only remember one tip here, let it be this one. Slow down before you enter an intersection. Have an escape route planned. Stay visible. Don't travel too close to cars in front of you. Position your bike so it can be seen by the left turner. Eye contact is not enough.

5.) Ride Your Own Ride: Don't try to keep up with your friends who may be more experienced. Know your personal limits. Ride your own ride.

6.) Watch Out for Curves: Beware of taking curves that you can't see around. A parked truck or a patch of sand may be awaiting you.

7.) Don't Give In to Road Rage: Do not give in to road rage and try to "get even" with another rider or motorist. If you follow these tips, most likely you won't fall victim to road rage. It's better to calm down, slow down, and collect your thoughts first. Then continue on and enjoy the ride. That's what we're all out there for in the first place.

8.) Don't allow Tailgating: If someone is tailgating you, either speed up to open more space or pull over and let them pass. Life is too short. Remember that a bike can stop faster than a car so you don't want a truck on your tail when you find yourself trying to brake to avoid an accident. Also, don't tailgate the vehicle in front of you. Oncoming drivers can't see you.

9.) Don't Be Blinded by Sunglare: Beware of riding your motorcycle into sun glare. All it takes is turning a corner and finding the sun either directly in your face or passing straight through your windshield. Some helmets have shields to block the sun. Face shields help somewhat. But sometimes you just find yourself blinded by the light. Slow down, pull over, shield your eyes and look for a way to change direction.

10.) Avoid Riding at Night: Avoid riding at night, especially late Saturday night and early Sunday when drunken drivers may be on the road. It goes without saying that you shouldn't drink and ride. Going bar hopping? Leave the bike at home and find a designated
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Most experts agree that it's safest if you never ride. Never leave the house even.

;)
Burk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:45 am  Reply with quote
Noob

11). Avoid running a Gymkhana on a Silverwing.

minnetonkajoe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

12). Never ride alone or with other people.

fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger