minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Is my rear wheel supposed to fall off?
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Because it really did a good job of falling off this morning.

That'll slow down your commute.
nate
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:08 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

That's the quick release spare option. I can't afford that on my bike.

You're alright, I trust? Not having somebody else type this for you while you're dictating from a hospital bed?

How fast were you going? What was the damage to you or your bike?
I'll admit to having a morbid curiosity in the subject, because it's not improbable to me that I'd lose a tire.

Lev. 15:17
John B.
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:11 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Front or rear? Hope your OK!
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

No worries. Going along Dean Parkway on the way to work and the damn rear wheel just fell off. I was only going about 20 and slowly skidded to a stop. Didn't lay it down or anything. The cotter pin and nut fell off, I guess. I sure couldn't find them.

Worked out about as well as can be expected. My buddy lives 2 blocks from me, had not left for work yet, so I called him to go over to my house, grab my van and pick me up.

So what type of problems might arise from this? I really didn't have time to look at anything, I needed to get to work. But what can happen by sliding it down the road like that?
nate
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

First order of business would be to figure out WHY the castellated nut came off, and more importantly, the cotter pin. Make sure the axle still has an intact 'hole' for it.

Did the wheel stay in the body cavity? Was that what was bearing the brunt of the load? It's hard to get the wheel out without pulling the exhaust on purpose, but 20 em pee aitches might have helped that along. I'd probably check to see that the exhaust was still solidly in place.

I'm imagining that most of the load was transferred between the undercavity of the body and the wheel. How the wheel would torque around in there and distribute forces, I can't quite imagine. Some laterally on the engine, but probably not enough to cause damage to the rear shock or swingarm.

My biggest concern would be the rear axle- make sure the seals are still intact and it's not leaking a ton of oil out of there. At least no more than it had been previously, I guess.

Keep in mind that I'm completely talking out of my ass. No computer modelling has been done on this scenario, and I'm just talking aloud. I'm curious as to how my guesses would match up to reality.

Derrick
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:59 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What kind of scooter was it? I don't remember what you drive.
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It is a '63 Allstate. I had some guy in Tonka Bay finish the cables and wiring harness for me just a little while ago.

This was to be my maiden voyage to work on the scoot, rather than just within a couple of miles of home.
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

OH! DOH!

I always forget whos who with these internet names! Why can't people just use their names? I mean, I'm Derrick everywhere I go!

Anyway. Here is a trick for holding rear hubs on good. Clean the axle and the hub spines so they are spotless and oil free. Acetone or the like. It must be residue free. Then use red Locktite on the splines and castle nut before assembly. Also, don't forget the cotter pin. The spline style hubs without any tapers can loosen and wear. This causes to much play and the parts actually rub each other to dust. This is a common problem on old Vespars and the like. I think Nate and some others have had this problem as well.

Boy, I'm glad I didn't work on that part!

Good luck John, I mean Stumpy!
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah...I was going to switch to John as a user name for the new board, but I thought I would stay consistent.

Thanks for the advice. I will give all of those suggestions a try. You know, when I was putting the rear wheel back on after inpecting the brakes when I first got it, I was looking at the cotter pin like "you know...I should just go get a new one instead of reusing this one".

Idiot

Anybody have an extra castellated nut? I think mine fell off about 100 yards before the wheel decided to free itself.

This is really bad timing too. I'm leaving for most of the month for work, so time will be very limited in getting the thing back on the road. But I'll get a better look at it when I get home. Maybe in time for the next vintage ride.
nate
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:10 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was imagining a P series bike. I don't know if that affects my hypothesis at all, though. But it's easier to get the tire 'out' without removing the exhaust. I think.

But my tire has some serious wobble- I've put on a new hub, and it's starting to come back. It's kind of scary, but I've live d up until now.

I've reused a cotter pin in the past as well- "just for the test drive, no sense in wasting my last cotter pin if I'm going to take it off". Of course, odds of me changing the pin out after a successful drive are bordering on pretty low.

Hope everything works out for you.

Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah...the wheel was no problem. I even placed it back on so I could roll it across the street to make pick up easier. And I don't think anything happened to the exhause either. When I finally came to a stop, the engine was still running, and sounding fine.

So, I'll start with a new nut and a "NEW" cotter pin, and see where we go from there.
John B.
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:06 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Check the hub on wheel and make sure there are still splines in there and the axel didn't ream them out when it fell. While the wheel is off check that the breaks still work and you didn't loose any pieces from them.
Jess
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

http://www.gizmag.com/go/2350/

hey, you're cutting edge...
Stumpy
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Pasty white and chubby are cutting edge?

Sweet...
Jess
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:03 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

it says "futuristic" right in the article;)