minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Funky shifting on my Allstate
kennylibido
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey Derrick,

One of these times I want you to give the ole' Allstate a spin and tell me what the heck is happening with it's shifting. I can draw the shifting out slowly and it goes real good. However, if I don't do a slow release, it acts as if it wants to pop a wheelie. I'm not talking about popping the clutch either - it's always been wonky. I've driven Lisa's Allstate and it shifts like butter. Any ideas as to what's happening?

I ask because I'd like to get the problem corrected in the event that I want to sell it. Now that Rochelle and I are remarried, we need to figure out which bikes to release into the wild.

Rochelle loves the Lambretta's looks and seems to be hot on maybe getting the new Twist-n-go Lambretta when they come out for the ease of riding. Looks like we might sell the Stella, Allstate and Bajaj when that time comes.

Joe.
nate
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm not saying that "it happened to me so this has to be it!" kind of thing, but- assuming your clutch plates are clean and basket is straight and the springs are alright...

On My P200, I was having a hell of a time getting it to let out slowly. I could ease it into gear very very occasionally, but most of the time it'd jerk into gear and launch. The engine had just been rebuilt, with all new clutch plates and springs.

There's a brass collar that goes around the middle part that sticks out of the clutch basket. Mine had a hairline crack, so it was rotating too much under pressure. Pried it off and pressed on a new one (in a parking lot, no less) and it's been shifting like buttah ever since.

Just one of those quirky things to look for, if you ever tear it apart. I probably would have overlooked it.
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

When I got that Allstate originally, the clutch plates had sit for a while in a certain position causing (theoretically anyway) oil to soak and thicken one area leaving other areas dry. I always blamed this for the occasional lurching and erratic unpredictibility of that clutch. The P200 does it as well if I leave it sitting a while.

I'm not sure what the cure is, other than new clutch plates. You might try repositioning the clutch periodically when being stored. I belive it does get smoother with frequent usage. You are right about the WHEELIE if you aren't expecting it and come off the line strong.

Maybe someone else knows if this oil deal is a myth or a real happening.

MW
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Do you have your original engine? If so, I think I have the clutch plates if you want them. I can't speak for their condition, but I don't think I remember them being that bad.

Heck, I have an entire kit (by kit I don't mean "make it go fast" I mean a completely disassembled engine in a box).

I also have the old crappy clutch that Derrick gave me when he replaced the one in my current engine. I don't know why, but I have it.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

First, make sure the clutch cable is working smoothly. They can bind and release causing that sudden grabing.

If the cable is good, I would pull the clutch and check the contact points on the basket. They can wear and make grooves on the sliding surface which will cause the grabing problem as well. Also, replace the steel plates and cork plates while you have it out. Pulling the clutch should be done by someone who know how to do it or you can get into all kinds of trouble.
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Mojo Willy wrote:
You are right about the WHEELIE if you aren't expecting it and come off the line strong.

We're talking about an Allstate right?!?

kennylibido
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Maybe I can bring the thing to you and you can tinker with it over the winter Derrick. I simply do not have the ability or know-how to do the job. Of course, I'd pay for your services.

Let me know what you think.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

No problemo. I have done many clutch rebuilds with the engine in place. Just PM me when you can drop it off.