minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  So when did you decide to get a scooter?
morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

before i got into punk rock in the early 80's, i listened to the who a lot and loved the pictures in the booklet that came with the quadrophenia album. then i saw the movie, and got into the mod revival that sprung up with the post-punk early 80's. although i was always too much of a scruffy punk to be a tidy mod, i dug the music and style of the mod thing.

fast forward to college. my good freind stephanie had a '67 90 that was so cool. but then it got stolen and she was so sad (she bought a '64 GL later that she still rides). fast forward to just out of college, 1993, and i'm in rural south carolina visiting friends of the family. i see a little headlite in the window of a pawn shop. it was a '77 Rally 200. i bought it for $300 and had to take a roadtrip down there to pick up the scooter with a trailer. after putting in gas, oil and a new plug, it started on the second kick. i have been deeply obsessed with vintage vespas ever since, and i'm still riding the same bike (well, at least the body's the same...)

i'm getting old.
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Morgan and I have almost the same stories.

I was into The Who and saw Quadrophenia when I was in high school. I thought their scooters where cool but I didn't think there where any around. Then in the late 80's I was sitting at Haskells bar in Excelsior and Roger McLaren drove up on a red Allstate. I freaked out. It sounded so smooth and quite and I looked like a sculpture you could ride. I didn't say anything to him. I figured everyone asked him about it and he was probably sick of talking about it. But, I knew I wanted one.

In the early 90's I was telling my friend about how I wanted a Vespa and he said "Hey you should go talk to Sam at Cites Edge Motor Sports in Chaska. He has one in the front window and a bunch more in the back room." I said "What!?" So I'm driving up to Sam's store and sure enough there was a Vespa in the window. Cool! I go to the counter and say "Is Sam available?" Sam comes out from the back room. I tell him who I am and ask if he has any old scooters for sale. He looks at me and says "No." Crap. So we talk a little more and then I start heading for the door. Sam is watching me get into my 1971 Afla spider and comes out and starts asking me about it. "So, do you work on these?" he asks. "Ya. Some." He asks me more stuff about the car and then he says. "Follow me. I want to show you something." We walk toward the back room! He opens the doors and there are TONS of old motorcycles and SCOOTERS! Sam says I want these to go to a good home so I won't sell them to just anyone. I picked out a 1963 Allstate and pick it up the next day. I rebuilt the scooter and drove it for a while. Bought another for my wife. Bought two Lambretta's, one for me and one for my brother. All from Sam! Since then I have lost count of all the scooters I have owned. Probably 20 plus? I have worked on hundreds. My life has changed like I could never have imagined.
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
Years ahead Thrasher had a spread with Matt Hensley that had a few shot of his scoot in it

HOLY SHITT!!! THAT'S AWESOME.
i totally remembered that ad, and other Nate just found a copy of it and framed it.
Sweet...

sk8 or die!!!!!!!!!!!!

morgan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i remember sam from cities edge in chaska! he was cool. i was with stephanie when she bought her GL from him. he also had an orange rally 200 that was unbelievably mint.

that room full of old bikes was amazing...

good times.

oh, and i've only had 2 1/2 scooters. that pales in comparison to derrick's 20, but i love'em just the same.

i'm about to ride home now after a long day. pretty night.

zoom.

keep the shiny bits topside...
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Morgan - I'm pretty sure Sam still has the Rally 200 you are talking about. I saw it about a year ago at his house. He still has tons of cool stuff.
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Morgan - One more thing. (You probably know this already) Stephanie went to school with my wife Tommi.

We were looking at that Scooterworks catalog together and came across that x-mas picture of Stephanie. Tommi said "Hey I know that girl! That's Stephanie R. we were good friends in school!"

Crazy!
dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks Derrick for sharing your story. Man I wish I have the dough for a old scoot that I could bring back to life and save from the crusher like you have many times over.

Scoot on.
Dave
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm trying to remember the Hensley ad/article. Anyone remember what year it was printed? Just last weekend I came across my old stash of Thrashers and Transworlds. You're making me want to go turn the storage unit inside out looking to see if I have that issue...
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

LOREMipsum wrote:
I'm trying to remember the Hensley ad/article. Anyone remember what year it was printed?

somewhere between '89 - '93?? I think he was the cover story and I think the shoot took place in Seattle. That JACKASS Scootermonkey Chris might rememeber.

Hey Josh I think I have a Skoot and Destroy patch (told to shut down by the man(who would of thought that Thrasher would turn into the man)) left, maybe if can go 6 group rides with out a crash you can have it!

Jo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

No interesting story, just some guy I dated in college who hauled me around on the back of his white Vespa something-or-other for a few months... I probably stuck with him longer than I might have 'cause I loved that bike so much. (uh-huh, I'm shallow that way)

I don't know what model it was, I didn't know anything about scooters, but I knew I wanted one.

And it only took me 20 years.
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Dang you Matt. Those dates cover the heart of my mag collection. And I just tidied up the storage unit...
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
maybe if can go 6 group rides with out a crash you can have it!

Days without incident: 3.... 1.....0.......0...........

justkidding.

chris
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

somewhere between '89 - '93?? I think he was the cover story and I think the shoot took place in Seattle. That JACKASS Scootermonkey Chris might rememeber.

I'm going out on a limb and saying 90 It was an ad with hensley on a blue P with crash bars. That lit my fire to and then I met Matty the COCKSUCKER in like 99 or some such shit and he helped me begin the downward spiral, Dick!

Chris

jsyx
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scootermonkey officially has the best signature on the board.
i'm changing mine right now...

Matty
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
scootermonkey officially has the best signature on the board.
i'm changing mine right now...

Just because you're going to be his new daddy doesn't mean you have to be nice to him.

I heart scootermonkey