minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  cold weather gear
morgan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i know i'd ride more in the colder weather if i had better gear.

i haven't done a whole lot of checking yet, but the prices for the really nice, new, all-weather aerositch stuff is pretty daunting.

is there any good way to get stuff that'll keep you comfy when it's really cold for less $$ than that top-o-the-line stuff, or do you pretty much get what you pay for?

just curious about what you all year riders use to keep warm...
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Look for snow mobile gear. Neck gaitors and balaclavas really help to keep the wind out. Good gloves or mittens make a huge difference. Long underwear layered with regular pants and a fleece shirt round out my cold weather gear. Of course the NB51 parka with liner goes on top of every thing else.

If you are talking a little more money, a full face helmet is a must. As crappy as they look a wind sheild really helps too.
morgan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

thanks, good thoughts. i've already got the full face helmet. i hadn't thought of snomobile stuff...
ron
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:19 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

long johns, jeans, boots, neck warmer and good leather jacket work well enough for me.

Haven't found any gloves that don't leave me stiff little fingers though.

Has anyone ever tried the battery-powered heated gloves? I was thinking of getting some of them.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Were you born here? If so, you should have it ingrained: LAYERS.

On top, I wear a tight longsleeve shirt, loose t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, jacket, coat.

Bottoms, I have these great flannel-lined jeans (they're from the Land's End at the outlet mall that are good down to about 35, any below that and I wear lined jogging pants (the windbreaker outer material does more than the cotton inner material, I think) over them.

Wool socks over cotton socks, with boots that tuck into your pants.

I usually wear the hood on the sweatshirt upand put the helmet on over that, but I think I'm going to have to get a full-face helmet (especially seeing how nice the Stella is running in the 30s and 40s, I'm going to ride her until there's snow on the ground). Necks are hard, because virtually anything that provides decent protection seems to restrict movement.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

When I was in Paris I saw a lot of the scooter aprons, and I was going to try and find somewhere to buy one; but I never got around to it, and now I'm back. Has anyone used one? It seems like they'd be the perfect winter-riding accessory for Minnesota scooterists. Opinions? Idea of which are the best and where to get them?

As for general riding gear, would I be a fool to wear a long scarf when I'm riding? My ride in this morning was really only very cold for my neck and hands, and I'm thinking I should address those two before it gets really cold, but a scarf would probably do a lot if it's not too dangerous...

Spikehead
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
When I was in Paris I saw a lot of the scooter aprons... Has anyone used one?

I have one for my Scarabeo 150's. Works great. You're welcome to stop by and check it out sometime.

Scarf=bad
Neck gator=good
IMO
Spikehead
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

morgan wrote:
i know i'd ride more in the colder weather if i had better gear.

is there any good way to get stuff that'll keep you comfy when it's really cold for less $$ than that top-o-the-line stuff, or do you pretty much get what you pay for?

just curious about what you all year riders use to keep warm...

What kind of riding we talkin' 'bout here? Short trips or several hours? Side streets or interstate? What kind of scoot?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Spikehead wrote:

Scarf=bad
Neck gator=good
IMO

But then I can't wear my Arsenal scarf to piss off Ritchie!

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
Spikehead wrote:

Scarf=bad
Neck gator=good
IMO

But then I can't wear my Arsenal scarf to piss off Ritchie!

Yeah, my scarf I was going to wear is a CFC scarf... As long as it's not FUCKING Manchester United...

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Forgot about long johns this morning.

You can find decent deals on winter motorcycle jackets, it's still nice to have the armour in it. Make sure it has a nice removable liner and you can cinch them up at the wrists, and the longer ones are better.

Hands are the harderst, where did you see the battery heated ones Ron? The bulkier the warmer but on bikes that shift they really suck. I haven't found the perfect pair yet.

Actually the hardest thing was not having my glasses ice up, had to win the Cold Weather Challenge with out wearing them.

Those lap aprons are for wimps! (sorry spikehead)

morgan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:13 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

let me try and get all in one here:

i've spent most of my life here, so i know all about layers, but i was just looking for specifically good riding layers. i don't do winter sports, and i've never invested in any super-thin, lightweight kind of cold weather stuff. i've just got a lot of wool and cotton and fleece and puffy junk like that. so when i "layer up" for winter it leaves me feeling too bulky and floppy for riding. through the years i've always just giving up riding at the point my clothes had to be too thick to ride comfortably.

i guess now i'm a bit older and have a bit more $$ (but not a ton) to throw around, i wanted to "gear up" a bit more for winter riding and get in some more jollies each year. i just don't want to spend a thousand bucks to do it...

oh, and for spikehead: i've been putting in around 2k a season, mostly commuting 15+ miles a day through town with a couple out of town long distance trips thrown in whenever i can. i'm riding a '77 vespa rally 200 with a 2003 stock lml 150 engine installed.

i've thought about the skirts, too. and someone at work told me to get silk or synthetic silk long underwear like hikers use. they ball up to the size of an egg so you could store them on board, even.

as for scarves: if you're riding a stella or vespa and that scarf got loose and caught in your flywheel = trip to hospital. i saw a shop rag get caught in a flywheel once. yikes! danger will robinson! no dangly things.

thanks for the ideas...
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Neck gaitors and wind triangles work great. Aerostich and NOJ come to mind (check Midwest Cycle for NOJ). For really cold weather I recommend a balaclava.
I have had good luck with a pair of Alpinestar texile gloves. They have a thin layer of Thinsulate, gauntlet plus they're water resistant to boot.
When it gets REALLY cold I'll switch to a pair of leather snowmobile gloves (VERY bulky)
Just my 2 cents,
K
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

and check out this place http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm they give really good personal reviews of what they sell, not just what's written on the tag like most places.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, so this morning's commute was pretty cold. With a turtleneck, flannel, and leather jacket on top, pants and longjohns on the bottom and heavy socks I was okay everywhere but my hands - my motorcycle gloves are better than bare hands, but not really adequate. Is there any way to get heated gloves and/or grips on a stella without using a second battery? I think that there's about 20W to spare on a Stella when you're running...

But man does the cold weather lean out the engine! Be *careful* with the revving guys! It was 38 degrees when I left my house this morning, and I accidentally was able to rev to 26 in second on my stock stella - usually I come fairly close to revving out in each gear, which means 10, 20, 30-35 are my usual shift points. But this morning those points were nowhere near revved out. So I'll have to keep a closer eye on the speedo until I'm used to it. Brings new meaning to "lean winter months".

So I'm thinking about an apron and either a full windshield or a small windshield and those mitt things on the grips. But wouldn't it be great to have heated grips? And I think I'll buy a neck gaitor - what shops are good for winter gear?