minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  cold weather gear
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
If you know how to bolt on performance parts but you don't know how to tune a carb

Hey I resemble that remark!

I layer my gloves too. I get thin capaline glove liners then I have two sets of gloves: one lighter, like fleece with a layer of something that cuts the wind; then I also have a heavier set that is water and wind proof. I always wear the liner then switch out the outers as needed.

Typically if it is less than 40 I don't commute unless it will be much warmer later in the day, but I am good to go for quick jaunts year round with that set up.

I have about a 10 mile commute at highway speeds for most of it and I think the latest in the season I have been able to ride to work is just after Thanksgiving, maybe the 28th or 29th of November.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:43 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have a three-mile commute on the river road when I'm keeping it short - or ten miles in good weather - so I'm hoping to be able to commute for all but the days when it's (1) snowing; (2) covered in ice; or (3) really extremely cold. I'm really curious about those wrap-around grip warmers Kevin K found - but I wonder if I'd have to put the scoot on a tender each night... What do people think about the usefullness of one of the full windshields that also provides a fairing for the hands? I'd definitely want to be able to take it off easily and quickly, as it would suck any time it's even bearably warm...

Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom, I was going to mention the Tender. Set it up next to where you park the scoot and plug 'er in. The plus side is that the connector is the same for most of the electric vests so it serves a dual purpose. An alternative is to rig up a MC gel battery inline with the Stella battery. This could mount inside the left cowl (if there's room) or possibly in your top case.
I have run my K bike all winter with a Tender for the past few years, and it stays plugged in when I don't ride it.

Another item to consider for those interested in electric vests: a Heat Troller.
It's sort of a thermostat for heated clothing. The beauty of it is that you can dial up how much juice is going to your electric clothing, so you only draw what your really need.

Another item that will help comes to us from the ATV world. It is a pair of covers that you put your hands into and can still control the scoot. They make look a little funky, but they will keep your hands warmer.
K
Grant
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:46 am  Reply with quote
Training

Tom Lindsay wrote:
What do people think about the usefullness of one of the full windshields that also provides a fairing for the hands? I'd definitely want to be able to take it off easily and quickly, as it would suck any time it's even bearably warm...

Yes, they look dorky but they will extend your riding season by quite a bit. I am not sure what the Stella one is like for hand protection, but the GT one is pretty good. It gave me another 10-15 degrees before I needed the chopper mitts (compared to getting by with regular gloves). It also blocks most of the cold air coming right at the rest of you.

The only down side is that most of them son't seem to be designed for easy on/off operation. Well, and they look well, large...
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:53 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

These guys make hand grips, Rye has the full set up for his P and seem to work pretty good.
http://www.tucanourbano.com/eng/f_termoscud.htm

morgan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

wow! thanks again for all these ideas. but i should have been more specific in my first post: i already know about the "wisdom of the layers" people! i'm talking about going a bit beyond that...

fyi, what i've been doing over lo these many years for cold is very much the kind of layering that a couple people have been describing:

thermal undies, top and bottom, thick socks, boots, jeans, long-sleved tee (i have a silk one that works great), sweater, neck gaiter, leather jacket (too short for real cold weather, and this year the top snap broke. arg.), leather gloves with some thinsulate lining and a short gauntlet.

this'll take me comfortably to around 40 degrees, but under that, it just doesn't cut it for me, and many more layers is just too much fuss, especially for commuting, and it's too bulky for riding comfortably. in my opinion.

what i'm talking about is something like the full-on aerositch suit with the zip-in lining and armor and all. i was just wondering about less expensive versions of the same thing, or used stuff, or something cheaper.

i've looked a bit now, and i found some that were cheaper than aerositch, but they're still pretty spendy for the features i'd like. i think i just have to accept that i can't afford what i really want this year. maybe i can save up for next year.

i might get the silk long underwear this year though. they seem like a great thing for cold weather riding. they're so thin you could actually wear them under regular long undies without much more bulk and binding. they all seem to come in at around $40 a set where ever i looked. that might get me a few extra riding days right there...

i need new gloves, too. mine were too cheap and they wore out quick. i'm going to go above the bar pour this time on the gloves...

sorry all you die-hard minnesotans, but i hate the cold. i grew up here, my whole families from here, but the older i get, the more i hate that damn cold. someday i'll move somewhere warm (my work keeps me here) and not have to worry about strapping on tons of stuff to decrease the physical pain of stepping out doors. and then i can gloat like chris and grant. <grin>
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Maybe global warming will bring that weather to your door step....
morgan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:36 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yeah, bring on the global warming!

i'm going to go buy every aerosol spray can i can find and shoot'em all right at that ozone layer!

yeeehaa!

...or i could just move....
Brad
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

morgan wrote:
what i'm talking about is something like the full-on aerositch suit with the zip-in lining and armor and all. i was just wondering about less expensive versions of the same thing, or used stuff, or something cheaper.

i've looked a bit now, and i found some that were cheaper than aerositch, but they're still pretty spendy for the features i'd like. i think i just have to accept that i can't afford what i really want this year. maybe i can save up for next year.

For my jacket I just went to Bob's Cycle,tried on the gear, then bought what I wanted from Ebay for 1/2 the price. I had to wait a bit for the right size to come up and the color wasn't exact, but I what I wanted cheap I'm looking for a mesh jacket for summer now.

There will probably be some good deals out there on winter clothing in the spring. Dennis Kirk had all the summer stuff on sale when we stopped there in September.

DriveIn
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:49 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

A pair of slightly oversized Carhart Insulated Bibs from Fleet Farm or wherever. A pair of extra warm sorels, the big black ones with the tall gaiters. A slightly long winter coat with a collar and heavy canvas outershell. Plus something warm for the neck. I had someone local make a batch of neck warmers for me. Use mine all the time. Gave the rest to family as christmas presents a couple years back, most used gifts I ever gave them. Need to have another batch made, wearing mine out already.

morgan
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad wrote:
For my jacket I just went to Bob's Cycle,tried on the gear, then bought what I wanted from Ebay for 1/2 the price. I had to wait a bit for the right size to come up and the color wasn't exact, but I what I wanted cheap I'm looking for a mesh jacket for summer now.

There will probably be some good deals out there on winter clothing in the spring. Dennis Kirk had all the summer stuff on sale when we stopped there in September.

good idea. i may try that. thanks.
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:36 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

wow.
i just skimmed three pages of how to bundle-up for the winter, and despite living in minneapolis my entire life, i do exactly the opposite of everyone else. I'm still wearing the same stuff i've been wearing all summer!!! except for my trusty scarf!!! In fact, the last two days i switched from a nylon windbreaker to a jean jacket!

Quote:
The ride to work this morning was pretty chilly. The worst part was my nuts were super cold. If you would have tapped them with a ball-peen hammer, I believe they would have shattered!

dude, don't ride in a skirt when it's this cold in the morning!!!

dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Maybe that's why you can't get it up. Frozen too many times. :-)
Cold as Ice running through me head....
Dave
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey Morgan!

All you need is a PARKA!

Who cares if your warm as long as you look good.
kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You psychos.

I'm looking for a place that will winter store my bike starting October 31. Scooter Works doesn't do this like Scooterville in MN does and they don't know anyone who does.

Is it worth my time to phone motorcycle dealers or does anyone have any ideas? I'm garaging the Bajaj in a ramp that is open to the elements and I'd like to get it into a heated facility if possible in order to save the $110.00 monthly I'm paying the garage.