minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  End o' the season
Jo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:52 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I've got my getting-ready-for-winter routine pretty well set for the People 50, but am not sure if there's anything special I need to do with the Primavera. It will be stored in a (reasonably dry) garage. Unfortunately, the offspring won't let me park it in the living room.

Anyway, the recommended routine on the Scooterworks site seems a little excessive... deflate the tires? Do I really have to?

So what I was thinking is: top off the gas tank, change the gearbox oil, roll it to the back of the garage and let it be until spring. Do I need to put fuel stabilizer in the tank, or will that just gum things up? Is it better to drain the tank entirely? What else am I missing? Anyone? Anyone?
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Top it off with fresh gas and forget about it until spring.
DriveIn
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:01 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

In all of our seasonal equipment, we drain the fuel or transfer it to something else where it will get used. We change the oil so it sits out the season with fresh oil in the engine, and all the tires are inflated to normal pressure. Then we run it long enough to run the carberator dry. If you leave fuel in, fuel stabilizer can't hurt and will probably help. Just my opinion for 4 cycle carberated gas engines. I guess for a 2 cycle, just make sure the cylinder is oiled for winter, and probably stabilize the fuel if you feel the need. I wouldn't ever store a mounted tire with less than normal pressure, even for the short term. Call it a forced habit from when working in a deisel truck shop. Either you aired up the mounted tires, or got air in your next paycheck instead of cash.

some_dude
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The problems I've had (in the past) with stored vehicles are usually fuel or critter related.

Now every toy I store for a long period gets the same treatment:

Put it somewhere that is critter proof. Keep pet food/bird food/grass seed, etc. in a sealed steel can or in your neighbor's garage. Seal up any access to the garage larger than 1/4 inch.

Fuel stabilizer in a fresh tank , then run the motor long enough to circulate it through the system. Then run with fuel valve off until it runs out of gas to empty carb bowls. Fill tank again to the brim to prevent condensation & therefore rust in tank.

Fresh oil in crankcase (or gearbox if scooter).

Batteries get stored inside in the basement but not on a concrete floor. I trickle charge them periodically, but I do not believe in battery tenders left on constantly.

Normal air pressure in tires.

That's my routine & it works for me. Your milage may vary.
yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey all! I new here and new to scootering also!
I probably have a ton of questions about storage but I'll keep it to the most important. I was trying to get some maintinence books from the Mpls Library, but they have all theirs in deep storage until the new Central Library is finished.
I have a 4-stroke Schwinn Graduate (2005).
I don't have a garage, but it will be kept in the shed in the back yard, will that be ok?
How 'bout the battery? Should I remove and keep it in the house? Will it need to be charged during that time?
Should I do anything with the spark plug?

Thank you!!!

yoyo65
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Some Dude, we just cross posted and you pretty much answered my questions! Thank you! yoyo

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
I am a 40 year old mom with a blue Schwinn Graduate. Will I fit in here?

You'll fit in just fine. Welcome.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm a 40 year old stay at home dad.

1965 was a good year!
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm a single mom - 36 (I can only say that for just under two weeks so I just have to say it).

Jo, remind your children who owns the house. Your primi would look great in the livingroom.

I put both of my scooters in the basement last year. They're staying in the garage this year, getting them up the steps was kindof a bitch.
yoyo65
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

1965 was a good year indeed!

My husband has been the SAHD since Aug when he lost his job so I think he could totally relate. He's also got a scoot, too. He's got a Piaggio Fly 150.
He is paying MotoPrimo to store his. I'd rather work on my own and store it here as long as I have the room.

Lisa, I work with another mom who has a scoot also. We could try to get together for some rides next season. My co worker and I have hit Tracy's Saloon on our scoots after work a few times over the summer. Do you take kid(s) on the scoot with you?

Ok, I'm getting this off topic now. Sorry!
I,ve got to start another thread sometime soon because my DH as already had problems with his Piaggio.

Jo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:26 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Lisa wrote:
Jo, remind your children who owns the house. Your primi would look great in the livingroom.

It might, but on further consideration I realized they'd just pile up their jackets and backpacks and dirty socks all over it, which would probably spoil the effect. 'cause closets and hampers are just too much trouble!

Back on-topic, thanks for the info everyone. I think I can deal with filling the tank. Not quite yet, but I guess that day will be here soon.

Jo
(1966 was okay too)
Sam
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:42 am  Reply with quote
Training

I hear it is a good idea to keep a vintage Scooter in a warm heated area for the winter, to prevent rubber deterioration and the such. Is this true? I was thinking about dropping my 90 off at scooterville for the winter. WOuld that be an unwise (financially) idea?
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

What does scooterville charge for the winter?
Sam
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Training

$150 I think Bob said...
fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

End of season? WTF? We've got plenty of time left, don't we?

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger