minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Scooters on sidewalks downtown?
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I sent the Mayor and a few Council members a email this morning about parking scooters on sidewalks. Only one reply so far, in the negative.

Sorry Jeremy,

I don't support allowing larger scooters, I had one too for along time,
to park on the sidewalk as sidewalks downtown are already too narrow in
many places for good pedestrian access, which is the main purpose of
sidewalks.

Motorcycles and scooters can park in/at parking meters all over downtown
and do so regularly, in fact many just park in an occupied meter at the
front or behind the already parked cars. As for inside parking, my ramp
at Laurel Village allows scooters and motorcycles so I suspect some
others do too in addition to those who do not. I am sorry you have not
found a good place to park but I do not think allowing larger motorized
vehicles on sidewalks is the answer.

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 7:49 AM
To: Goodman, Lisa R

Councilmember Goodman:

I am a Minneapolis resident and a scooter rider. My girlfriend works downtown, and at least twice a week I ride downtown and meet her after work for dinner, a movie, or maybe a show. Up until now, I have ridden my 50cc scooter (which, according to the state is a "moped") and parked at a bike rack or on the sidewalk.

I recently purchased a 150cc scooter (now a "motorcycle") from Minneapolis dealer Scooterville (www.scootervillemn.com), and found that I could no longer legally park on the sidewalks. That wouldn't be as big of a problem, except for the fact that I have found no parking ramps where scooters/motorcycles are allowed.

Councilmember Goodman, with gas prices being what they are, there are only going to be more scooters on the road. If they can't park in places like Downtown, Dinkytown, and Uptown, I'm afraid that we'll not be able to continue to go to such places.

I respectfully request that Minneapolis code be changed to allow larger scooters to park on the sidewalk. I'm not sure what the cutoff would be (size of frame? size of engine?), but I would really like to see this happen.

Yours,

Jeremy Stomberg
2311 Como Avenue SE
Minneapolis MN 55414
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

So if you get a ticket for parking between two already parked cars at a meter, she'll pay the ticket right?
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Don't ask don't tell USED to be the order of the day

Thanks for wrecking it for ALL of us man...
fnirt
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

They were ticketing down here in the warehouse district last year, even. I think they were looking closely at plates, as my moped'd Vino was exempt. I found a lot that's nice and close to my building that's pretty cheap.

I was okay with sneaking the Vino in somewhere on a sidewalk, but the Stella really is much larger. I'm willing to trade sidewalk parking for the speed though.

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Most Minneapolis ramps are $4 for motorcycles. The city has a monopoly on the ramps and the profits go towards funding the police.

Now the police are ticketing motorcycles on the sidewalk. It's a conspiracy I tell yah! You really have to rely on that clerk that can't tell between a moped and a motorcycle when you register....

wheeled
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have talked to the Mayor he liked the idea. Who is this Lisa and who is next up the food chain. lets not wimp out. please post Lisa's info. Ed
wheeled
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

so let the counsel woman know we vote. It is up to us to educate the SUV driving masses.
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa is the Council member for the south part of downtown. She lives in Laurel Village, so she can take the skyway and never ever have to go outside.

I also sent it to Mayor Rybak, Paul Ostrow (my Councilman in NE Minneapolis), and Dan Niziolek (Uptown). I still have not recieved any response from the rest of them.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Matty
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:55 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I might be in the minority here but I don't think scooters should be allowed on city sidewalks, they are just too big. When those laws were passed mopeds really weren't that much bigger than a bicycle so it made sense, they could actually fit in a bike rack or chained to a meter with out interfering much with pedestrian traffic like this http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/72983804.html . But now there is no way they fit in a bike rack and really take up a lot of space when locked to a meter. I think if you are going to push the issue push for 2 wheel only parking areas on the street. Take away one or two metered parking spots and make them motorcycle only.

-Matt[/url]
jsyx
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

that is the ticket...
I've seen some restaurants/bars doing that and it's much better for everyone.

Brad
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

You can't lock to a parking meter, you get a ticket for that (at least that's the rumor). I see scooters locked to various signs and posts and bike racks.

Working on creating more parking might be the way to go. Maybe the restaurant owners would go along with this, for the ambiance.

How would we differentiate between a scooter and a harley for parking? They're both motorcycles.