minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Piaggo Fly 150
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Neal,

I can't speak to the reliability of a bajaj since I don't own one, but I know that Brad and Adam both have been very happy with their Chetaks. My Stella has been absolutely dependable and reliable - it's started on the second kick just about every time, whether it be 100 degrees and humid, or 5 degrees and snowing. I've had no problems at all, and it just runs all the time. Of course, people don't expect their scooters to run perfectly, so I'm planning to dig in there and start working on it until I break something... but in the past 7 months and 3100 miles, it's been carefree. Only things about Stellas: their headlight is worthless, expect to spend the money to swap it with a PX halogen (about $60). And I hate the stock seat, so I bought an old metal-spring P seat, which has been better for me. Otherwise, perfect.

yoyo65
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom, thanks for the tip about Motoprimo. I think we ended up there because we didn't know what we were doing (the first scooter we bought was kinda of a last minute decision, not enough research done) and we don't live very far from Motoprimo and if I need the ride serviced , I can hop on the light rail and bus easily to get home.

Motoprimo's lack of interest in scooters just gives me another reason to learn how to fix them myself. Now I just have to find someplace or somebody around here who can teach me. Any ideas?

Moses
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

yoyo65 wrote:
HELP! My thread has been hijacked! LOL
Come on guys! Help a girl out here.

But I remember those punch cards also. An aunt used to work for Deluxe Check Printers way back in the 70's. She collected what seemed like a ton of them and made a Christmas wreath out of them. Spay painted it gold, too. Talk about tacky. I wonder when my mom finally got rid of it.

Whew. I thought I might have to conduct an intervention and use my power granted to me as a member of the AAAAA to declare this an AFZ.*

;)

*And yes, I did need to look those up. Getting old enough to look back nostalgically to the days of the TRS80 and the IBM PC Jr. ...not. NetLingo.com Dictionary of Internet Terms- Online Definitions & Text Messaging - Acronyms, Initialisms, & Text Shorthand

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I like my Chetak a lot. I occasionally get the urge to get something bigger, then I'm idling along on perfect day and fall in love all over again.

Kymco makes a number of styles. I suppose the people does have a bit of that "Chariot Style" look. If you want something racier, check out the Bet and Win series. They make them in both a 150 and 250. The 250 looks like a fun, racy ride and costs about 4k.

I hope that they find out what's wrong with your Fly. I thought that it basically was running a ET drivetrain?

nealaustin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom,
What kind of 2 stroke oil do you prefer, and I guess besides the light and seat it looks as thouugh you haven't tuned very much, hence the reliability.

Neal
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I just use the ipone full synth (strawberry scented!) 2t oil, as do most new stella owners around here. It's certainly not the best oil out there - many switch to the Motul and others - but it's been great for me. And at $10 per liter, with a liter lasting about 800-900 miles, it's very affordable.

From a performance standpoint I've left my bike completely stock thus far, though I'm planning to do some tuning over the holidays here. If you want absolute reliability, leave it stock. I'm kind of a n00b myself, so I'm sure a lot of people with a lot more experience could give you more useful suggestions. But the Tuesday Night Ride crowd, who mostly (but not exclusively) ride Stellas, and who mostly are newish riders, have been quite happy with our stock bikes. That said, Dave has changed his pipe, Jeremy has done some work on his (pipe?), and I'm planning to do some work too. There are people on this site who have kitted the top end, replaced the carb and crank, while there's plenty of others who've left theirs stock.

Maybe this should be a new thread if you want to continue discussing - at this point poor yoyo65 has had her thread go into all sorts of tangents now...