minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Have a happy Hanukkah.
Sam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:52 pm  Reply with quote
Training

There are some non-christians here on minnescoota. It would be nice to respect them, and not do a blanket "Marry Christmas" a more correct "Have a happy holiday season" or something to that effect may be better.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:59 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Um, I'm not a Christian and neither is my girlfriend, yet we don't get all bent out of shape when someone wishes us a Merry Chistmas, Happy Hannukah, Joyous Solstice, Respectful Ramadan, or Krazy Kwaanza.

Just flow with it, baby. People who wish you a Merry Christmas aren't being rude or trying to piss you off. Come in off the ledge.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

"Merry Christmas" is wishing one well...

I can understand the feeling that one is being pushed down by the dominant culture; but at the same time, well-wishing is well-wishing. I understand there's a difference in that Christianity is the dominant cultural direction (we call that "hegemony" in the historical field), but I think very few people would be offended by an offer to have a happy hannukah, for example. It's not like they're wishing non-Christians to have a bad day - they're wishing everybody a merry christmas. There's really nothing wrong with that - good wishes are good wishes, even if not knowingly inclusive of every possible societal direction.

Brad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Christmas has be co-opted by commercial interests hawking consumer goods. It's not even the high point of the Christian Calendar. That would be Easter. And that has been co-opted by a giant rabbit distributing colorful candy eggs.

So I gleefully proclaim, Happy Holidays! I hope everyone is getting a nice break.