minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Quadrophenia DVD on sale
Adam
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

In case you're still looking for the perfect gift to give your scootering friend...

The
Quadrophenia DVD is on sale at Amazon.com for $12.47 plus shipping.
DriveIn
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:13 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

You mean the US version with the missing bits and pieces? Did blockbuster get their hands on this one too? Does the region 2 DVD version still have more bits than the US version? I haven't checked, just seem to remember the UK tape version had more bits than the US tape version.

nealaustin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hi Adam

Tom told me that you have a Bajaj. He said you are happy with it. Did you upgrade the headlight to a halogen. I understand that they are somwhat dim.
Let me know why your choice was better than the Stella. Tom kinda Poopooed the Vespa scooters due to the lack of a serious sevice here in the Twin cities.
What the heck does that Chetak look like without the spare on the back? I posted the same reply to Brad in his daylight savings post.

Thanks, Neal
Brad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The Chetak comes stock with a halogen. The Legend comes with a standard bulb (go figure?).

On the legend, the tire was tucked under the cowl. I know that some Chetak owners have done the same thing by moving the little cowl toolbox.

I have 6400 miles on my Chetak. The only time I had trouble with it (eating plugs/ignition) was when I put a direct hits kit on it for a little more power. It's back to stock now and runs great. Sean had one here with a POC pipe and it had 10,000 on when he left town.

The difference between a Bajaj and a Stella:

The Stella (LML) is like a standard Vespa with some enthusiast pieces bolted on at the factory, the front disc and and reed valve setup. The Stella is a traditional, high reving two stroke. Many of the traditional Vespa mods also work on the Stella (expansion chamber/pipe, cyclinder kits). Though as with Vespa, this is done at your own risk : )

Bajaj has an anti-dive front, but drum brakes. They have a pretty new 4-stroke powerplant, so no mixing of gas and oil. Being a four-stroke, it pulls like a tractor through the RPM range, is great on hills, but is a coupled of mph shy of the Sella on top end. There are not very many things to do to the powerplant, maybe add a poc (Pride of Cleveland) pipe.

You can get many of the body assessories (cowl guards, windshield, mirrors, chrome) for both. I might have purchased a Stella if it was available when I bought my Bajaj, but now have become attachedto the Bajaj , so I don't feel compelled to trade.

When I look at the two, I see the pretty but higher maintenence sister (Stella) vs. the almost as pretty but reliable sister (Bajaj). You're lucky in that we have a reliable dealer here for both.

Look to the Bajaj group on Yahoo for more information. Al Kolvites, the owner of Bajaj USA posts their regularly. As with Stellaspeed, take everything you read with a grain of salt.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bajajscooter/

Oh yeah, to be fair and tie this back to the original thread, the guys in Quadrophenia would buy the Stella, because it's two-stroke.

Adam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:29 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Hi, Neal.

Not much I can add to Brad's thorough and accurate assessment of the Bajaj Chetak. I bought mine new at
Scooterville in August of 2004. I find it a blast to ride and quite reliable, though I've only put about 1,500 miles on it so far. Performance wise I have kept it stock, however, the folks on the YahooGroup Brad mentions have a few trics you can do. (Pun in there somewhere.)

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess that is the only thing I would disagree with Brad on. I have come to like the look of the Chetak over the Stella, particularly the standard rear spare tire carrier. What I do wish was that the Chetak had the front disc brake of the Stella, but the 4-stroke engine was more important to me and the drum brakes have been just fine.

For 2006 there were suppose to be a number of changes to the Chetak as Bajaj planned on blending it with the Legend and offered only the one model in the States, however, the truth changed. Seems the 2006 Chetak have landed on U.S. shores and it is the same as the 2004 model. A bit more on the story can be found at
BajajUSA.com.

Good luck in choosing your scooter.

Brad
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Adam wrote:
[size=11]Hi, Neal.

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess that is the only thing I would disagree with Brad on. I have come to like the look of the Chetak over the Stella, particularly the standard rear spare tire carrier. What I do wish was that the Chetak had the front disc brake of the Stella, but the 4-stroke engine was more important to me and the drum brakes have been just fine.

For 2006 there were suppose to be a number of changes to the Chetak as Bajaj planned on blending it with the Legend and offered only the one model in the States, however, the truth changed. Seems the 2006 Chetak have landed on U.S. shores and it is the same as the 2004 model.

My main gripe about the looks of the Bajaj center around the plastic hubcaps. I checked out getting rid of them, but can only get a chrome lug nut cap for the front (the rear is a different size). POC makes baby moons for the bajaj now, but I haven't broken down and ordered a set yet.

I thought that the planned 2006 model looked alright, but apparently all of the 2004 folks on the Bajaj list were relieved when the changes were not made.

As Adam said, to each his own!

Merry Christmas.

nealaustin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad

Al Kolvitis changed the picture on his website to a much more flattering one than even the Stella. Actually I think it doesnt look that bad even with the hammer on the front. Only saw the chetak once at scooteville. I'll have to get back looking again. I think Scooterville needs to get around to updating their picture of the Chetak. Their pictures of the Chetak look butt ugly.

Neal

Adam
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:52 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Brad wrote:
My main gripe about the looks of the Bajaj center around the plastic hubcaps. I checked out getting rid of them, but can only get a chrome lug nut cap for the front (the rear is a different size). POC makes baby moons for the bajaj now, but I haven't broken down and ordered a set yet....

I have to agree that my least favorite design piece is the plastic hubcaps on the Chetak, though the ones on the newer models is a bit better looking to my eyes than the older ones. My wish list include getting a pair of white wall tires and the stainless steel hubcaps that Bajaj started putting out as an add-on this past year.

And of course the low cost solution is just to run without hubcaps at all, like the Stella does.
Brad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The new ones have a nicer chrome cowl protector than my 2002 (it was black). The hammer on the front never really bothered me. Mine had a slight accident before it was sold to me and I left the new one flat black, to go with the checkerboard I put on the cowls.

I always thought cowl protectors were a little weird, until my bike tipped off the centerstand with no damage in Duluth. Now I like them.

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Adam wrote:
What I do wish was that the Chetak had the front disc brake of the Stella

Actually I'd take the anti-dive over the disc brake. The disc looks dope but I think the anti-dive functions better. Borrow a Stella and a Bajaj go 40mph and slam on just the front brake then let me know which one you like better.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nealaustin,

You'll be happy either way, and both are probably more fun than a TnG anyway! Though that's personal preference...

I do want to say that I *like* motoprimo - I just wouldn't buy a scooter from them under any circumstances. For riding gear and accessories they're awesome - my summer helmet, heated gloves, and most of my spark plugs are from there. And now that Hitching Post has left Minneapolis and moved out to the freaking 'burbs, if I ever buy that dual-sport I'd like, it will be from Motoprimo. I don't want to be perceived as smearing them.

But if you get talking with them about *scooters*, even the ones they sell, you quickly come up against an amazing amount of misinformation. I think the *EXTREMELY* expensive contract with Vespa worked out much differently (read big loss) for them than they had hoped (remember the Vespa boutique downtown? WTF?), they're now just riding out the term of the contract, and they're not putting any more effort into it than they have to.

But you can buy your stella or chetak at scooterville anyway! Have fun!

Adam
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:43 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Matty wrote:
Actually I'd take the anti-dive over the disc brake. The disc looks dope but I think the anti-dive functions better...

Really, not as good? While I've never had any problem with the Bajaj's drum brakes, I know disc brakes should have less fade when heated by use and there for be better over all. Guess I didn't take into account the suspension factor. Thanks Matt.
some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
I do want to say that I *like* motoprimo - I just wouldn't buy a scooter from them under any circumstances....
But if you get talking with them about *scooters*, even the ones they sell, you quickly come up against an amazing amount of misinformation.

Neal-

I'm a satisfied MotoPrimo shopper. If you like the products they are selling, I feel there is no reason not to buy from them.

My suggestion is that if you are getting misinformation from a person at ANY shop, you should ask to talk to someone else. At MotoPrimo, you can't go wrong with Chris (sometimes known as CT).

Most importantly, you should form your own opinion by visiting the shops & kicking the tires. It's part of the fun.
nealaustin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I am 51 years old and starting at eight years when I took apart that brand new watch I got for my birthday (Boy was my mom pissed off) or when I was 19 and tried to fix my DKW Motorcycle until now it is still the same. If I try to fix it I will really "Fix" it. My life has been filled with broken threads, cracked brackets and such. Service is something that I really should leave up to the professionals. Thats why Scooterville makes so much sense to me. If I screw something up I really need someone to bail me out. But if someone like Motoprimo is the only Vespa place and all of a sudden looses interest in Vespas because they consider them just a fad, then I'm out of luck 3 or 4 years down the line. When I was there all of the vespas were in a back room and upon expressing interest in the Fly the salesman said that it was just a stripped down model to keep up with the Chineese imports. I don't think that is what Piaggio is all about. After hearing a few scooterists here on this board it kind of makes sense that they are primarily a "motorcycle" company. I keep hearing Rock Solid, Durable, etc. together in sentances with Bajaj. For now I am really leaning towards the Bajaj although I think I may have hurt Al Kolvitis' feelings on the Yahoo board (lack of a 2005 model ?!?). You guys on this board are really great anf have given me a lot of good info.

scootervillain
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

CT departed from Motoprimo about 7 months ago(bought a Stella). Pete, Jonathan, Kevin......anyone with interest and knowledge of scooters are gone too. I can't say what their (MP)interest or commitment to Vespa is, but as long as Vespa remains in the US market they'll find local representation.

I wouldn't be concerned about parts availability on the Bajaj Chetak for a long time. Scooterworks would be on top of that curve, if they aren't already.