minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Hello, Everybody!
Egan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nj

Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The last time I was in China (it's been a few years) there was a noticeable lack of motorcycles in big cities (unlike SE Asia where they're everywhere). My friends and business associates there said it was a safey issue and said "even if you can get a license, you won't live long anyway." I was in three accidents in two weeks, so I can believe it. I almost got hit by a car on the sidewalk in Beijing. I hear that there are lots more on the road now though.

There were lots of scooters and motorcycles (mostly sport bikes) in Hong Kong, traffic there is pretty civilized. Night and day from the mainland. I'd believe the cost bit though, poor people simply don't drive there.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don`t mind if the parts are just assembled, but it is the overall quality that matters. Look at cars, man they use a lot of the smae parts in the same companies model lines.

The quality thing is controlled by the company buying the proiducts. One the same line can be really high ebd stuff like NEC LCDs and then they do a run of some crappy brand LCDs that you never heard of....

Dave
baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:28 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Yes, I agree. The quality is controlled by the company buying the products. Just like in US, component manufacturers want to keep big customers happy, so if the factory is not satisfied with quality, the parts manufacturer will lose them as client.

As for bikes in the cities, it's polution control rather than safety. Shanghai, for example, allows electric bikes but not gas ones. Electric bikes are everywhere.
Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

My comments were strictly observation, no relation to the actual law, just the opinions of the people I was with and what I saw. There is very little gov't regard for safety, so I wouln't think that would come to play in any actual law. It was just weird.

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity here, but what's your background that you made the leap from selling surplus goods to making motorcycles & scooters? Even with a passion for motorcycles, it would still seem like a pretty big leap to make without a serious background in manufacturing and ops management. Perhaps I missed somethign on this thread....sorry if I did.

I'm just wondering strictly from an ops interest - what quality systems do they have in place? How can you actually tell the stuff you're getting is any good before you actually use it? It's not like you can just look at parts to see if they're any good (unless they're REALLY bad). How are you testing failure rates on specific bits?

I'm not buying a Chinese scooter (or any other new scooter for that matter) even if it's absolutley perfect. It's just not my thing. I think I own the crappiest and most unreliable vintage scooter(s) of anybody on this board and know the least about the mechanics, so I'm not looking to debate that. I'm just curious because I'm geek and I like that stuff and the whole scenario isn't making a lot of sense to me.

Thanks.
baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:52 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

The answer is, how many car or motorcycle dealers actually start their careers with background in manufacturing? I am a businessman. I rely on my mechanics to do the right thing and mechanics give me feedback for the manufacturers. Having said this, I used to be a car mechanic in my younger days and I've owned mopeds since I was 13 years old. I am very competent as a mechanic even though I do not have a degree as a mechanic. I do have a degree in business.

You're confusing an importer/reseller with the actual manufacturer. As an importer I have to rely on the factory to do a good job. This is true for any imported product. The key is how well the factory listens to our input. Factories realize that their product are not top quality yet, but every shipment we receive has improvements.
Moses
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
The answer is, how many car or motorcycle dealers actually start their careers with background in manufacturing?

umm... Henry Ford?

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
but every shipment we receive has improvements.

That sounds exactly my formal scooter quality control plan.

The most common phrases I use when referring to my scooters are, "It's not quite as bad as it was before," and the now more popular, "Someday I'm going to have a really nice scooter!"
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
baronmotorcycles wrote:
but every shipment we receive has improvements.

That sounds exactly my formal scooter quality control plan.

The most common phrases I use when referring to my scooters are, "It's not quite as bad as it was before," and the now more popular, "Someday I'm going to have a really nice scooter!"

So perhaps vintage rider-mechanics and these Chinese bike sellers are more alike than we thought? If I weren't so lazy, I'd now relink the group hug pic from the GC thread...

baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:03 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Everything is relative. When I say improvements, I don't mean that current bikes are a safety hazzard. They are very good, solid bikes. For example, we found that on some bikes the speedometer cables were routed in such a way that they had too many turns. This caused them to break prematurely. We contacted the company and now the cables are routed correctly.