minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Lambretta Fork Links
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

So I have some progressively wound fork springs to install on the Lammy. I was able to get the left side apart but the right side does not want to budge. I've soaked it in WD40, then in Liquid Wrench for days then snapped two c-clamps trying to press the bolt out. Hammering doesn't seem to work either. The bolt rotates so my assumption is that it's frozen to the steel collar and/or the two washers inside. I thought about drilling but i'm afraid of damaging the housing around it. I also found some rust buster on the home depot webby that i'm thinking of trying. Any suggestions on how to get it apart?
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

That SUCKS! I have been there. I ended drilling mine out. It sucked so bad. Worse then the weather is sucking. I would keep trying to press it out and use lots of spray lube. Let it sit between attemps. Try moving it back and forth in opposite directions. Just be very careful NOT to damage the fork frame. Those "boxes" are somewhat weak and the disc welded to the outsides can come lose.

Sorry, I don't have a magic trick. Goog luck.
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The only thing I haven't tried is heating up the bolt. Not sure what it would do tho, other than possibly cracking the seal between the two parts with the heat expansion. My only concern is heating up and melting the upper fork link buffer. I don't think I can take it out without removing the link and spring.

I may resort to drilling. I picked up a rebuild kit from Casa so as long as I don't damage the fork itself I have all the parts to get humpty dumpty back together again.

So close, yet so far.

Thanks D.

Jamie
Derrick
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:01 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Heat might work. But, you probably will damage the surrounding paint.

The bolt is stuck in the plastic bushing, so if you heat the threaded end of the bolt you might be able to melt the plastic and break it free? I think I tried heat with mixed results. I think the heat just made the bolt stick more! I know I ended up drilling it out.

Don't worry about the buffers. Those can be replaced. You should replace them anyway.