minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Fuel Stabilizer
Sam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:28 pm  Reply with quote
Training

How important is fuel stabilizer when storing a scooter. Mine is currently in a heated wearhouse with the fuel shut-off and the motor run dry. I know that fuel changes with time, but will a few months in constant tempture matter?
Spikehead
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sam wrote:
How important is fuel stabilizer when storing a scooter. Mine is currently in a heated wearhouse with the fuel shut-off and the motor run dry. I know that fuel changes with time, but will a few months in constant tempture matter?

It might - why gamble?

I've riding and storing motorcycles since 1976, and this past spring was the first time I've had carb gumming issues - even after using both Stabil and Sea Foam at the end of the riding season. Unless you really have a burning desire to learn how to field strip your scoots fuel system, use a stabilizer.
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I use Stabil in all of my vehicles that get parked for the Winter, and they all start up in the Spring. Even the K, which gets sporatic winter usage, gets it. Gas gets shitty over time. Stabil is cheap piece of mind.
As always, YMMV.
K
SCOOTER529
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:36 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

The best buy scooter parts are in www.scooterpart.net .We are offer over 900 parts of mini pocket bike( Fs509 Fs529 Fs529A MT-A1 MT-A2 MT-A4 Luck7 x1 x2 x6 x7 x8 ),chopper,scooter(e&g),dirt bike. It is include:tire,bearing,rim,carburetor,cylinder,foot peg,coil,body shell,gearbox,Air filter,chain,spark,fork,frame,clutch,inner tube,sprocket,brake,brake disc,piston,piston ring,gasket,gas tank..............

Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey, great parts! I could us some new parts.

Looks like they have a good price on NGK plugs!
DriveIn
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:09 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Use the fuel stabilizer. Fuel goes bad rather quickly. I drain the tanks on the lawn mowers, and use the fuel in the snowblower in winter. Old fuel sucks. Used to have to check the diesel and gas tanks where I worked once a week to take samples. Especially the day before a delivery to make sure the fuel in the tanks wasn't already going bad. If it was, they added a biocide or whatever was needed. They usually delivered a fresh load every 15 days if the tank was low or not to keep the tanks fresh. Diesel fuel was the worst since it grew algea rather quickly. Fuel really starts to go bad in about 30 days if untreated. The refineries only need to get the fuel out the door, so they use the minimum treatments needed, it's up the customers after that to treat the fuel.

Justin242
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:45 am  Reply with quote
Training

I have a question maybe somebody could answer for me. I drained my tank and think I ran almost all the fuel out. I mean it couldn't get it started after I siphoned out the fuel (I also had my first mouthfull of gasoline in the process). My question is if there is old gas in the lines is that going to gum eveything up? Also, I looked in the tank and there is maybe a couple of table spoons of gas I could not get out with my syphon. I think I'll need one of those syringes to pull that little bit out of the tank. Could that little bit of gas spoil a whole fresh tank when I fill it up in spring, or am I simply being too anal retentive about bad gas? Thanks in advance.
Egan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:48 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

yes

nate
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

i agree

Lev. 15:17
Justin242
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Do you guys mean yes on the bad gas spoiling a tank, or yes on being too anal retentive about it?
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

My recomendation is to store vehicles with the tank as FULL as possible with gas that has been stabilized. This is my method of limiting the exposed area inside the tank where condensation, and therefore rust, could form. On vented systems (like vespas) I seal the vent with tape.

The motor should be run long enough with stabilized gas in the tank so that stabilized fuel reaches all nooks and crannies of the lines, carb, etc. Then I close the fuel valve & run the motor til it runs out of gas, hopefully burning all the fuel in the lines & carb. I feel this minimizes the chances of gummy-fuel-so-motor-won't-run-in-the-spring syndrome.
Stumpy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What about starting it and letting it run a couple time a month with just your regular gas/oil mix (if you mix)?
Justin242
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:43 am  Reply with quote
Training

some_dude wrote:
My recomendation is to store vehicles with the tank as FULL as possible with gas that has been stabilized. This is my method of limiting the exposed area inside the tank where condensation, and therefore rust, could form. On vented systems (like vespas) I seal the vent with tape.

The motor should be run long enough with stabilized gas in the tank so that stabilized fuel reaches all nooks and crannies of the lines, carb, etc. Then I close the fuel valve & run the motor til it runs out of gas, hopefully burning all the fuel in the lines & carb. I feel this minimizes the chances of gummy-fuel-so-motor-won't-run-in-the-spring syndrome.

That is a very good idea. I had never thought of that. Although I have my scooter in the living room of my house and I wasn't really comfortable with having a couple gallons of gas in the house. I'm also glad I removed the fuel because I would end up starting the damn thing in the house when I was drunk. It pissed off my ol' lady AND the cats.
some_dude
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Justin242 wrote:
Although I have my scooter in the living room of my house and I wasn't really comfortable with having a couple gallons of gas in the house. I'm also glad I removed the fuel because I would end up starting the damn thing in the house when I was drunk. It pissed off my ol' lady AND the cats.

My suggestions were made under the assumption the vehicle is stored in an unheated, uninhabited space. In your situation I agree with you 100%, for all reasons mentioned.

Your comments reminded me of when my brother lived with a bunch of knarly Hogly Ferguson riders many years ago. In winter they all stored their cycles in the house. It was sure bet that every time they had a party (every Friday night), they would end up firin' them up to entertain everyone present. Good times.