minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Level-headed Ride To Work conversation
some_dude
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:24 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
This is a big world and there are many scooter people out there. I can do without a few. Gary is a good example.

I second this sentiment. I know I did my fair share to contribute to the exchange with this guy, but now I have moved on. I hope Gary can do the same, if not I'll ignore him here like I am ignoring his blog. He, of course, can feel free to ignore me also. I can live with that.
Gary Charpentier
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:41 am  Reply with quote
Training

I'm going to keep this as short as possible. Let's start with the obvious:

"Scooter Nazi" was the wrong term to use. I derived it from the "Surf Nazis" I encountered while learning to surf in So. Cal. during the early 1980s. These "locals" defended their home breaks viciously, and looked with disdain on anyone who came to legally use the beach for it's intended purpose.

As any journalist will, I did my homework on scooters and scooter culture before I chose to use one for this Ride to Work project. I was warned that the "dedicated, traditional scooter community" would frown on my using a Chinese-built, "tupperware" scooter for this endeavor. I wasn't about to do this on a metal-bodied, small wheeled, shifter scooter. So Vespa, and Stella, etc. were out.

Honda and Yamaha, heck, even TGB wanted nothing to do with my project. They sell to people who will ride their scooters in moderate weather. They didn't feel like they needed the publicity. So I approached Baron, and the rest is history.

For this, I saw some abuse in the scooterbbs, right off the bat. Well, so what? Every "community" has their percentage of purists, who will denigrate anyone who doesn't do their thing in the prescribed fashion. I have no time for those people. But calling them "Scooter Nazis" was a little over-the-top, in retrospect.

For that, I apologize to any reasonable people who thought I was referring to them.

Why did I do it? Simply because it "flowed" with the rest of my "brown hole, E-G" satire. I am a student of the gonzo school of journalism, pioneered by the late, great Hunter Thompson. I involve myself in the story, and let it go into the hyperbolic if it feels right. This is entertainment, not reportage.

Derrick, you and I need to talk. You think you know something about my relationship to MMM, and you are spouting a bunch of uninformed, twisted gossip to that effect. I am willing to set you straight.

"Gear Whore"... Et tu, Gus? C'mon, you know me better than that. Or are you the source of Derricks misinformation? I would be profoundly disappointed if that were the case.

So, I will check back periodically to see if anyone wants to continue this discussion. The comments to my RTW blog will continue to be moderated, because Ride to Work is a rider advocacy organization, not an arena for personal attacks and bickering. I made a mistake there by poking fun at fellow riders, and it won't happen again.

Ride well,
=gc=
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Gary Charpentier wrote:
I am a student of the gonzo school of journalism, pioneered by the late, great Hunter Thompson.

Well, Hunter was a good writer, and you could tell when he was being sarcastic. Maybe you need more drugs.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Gary, about my MMM comment. That was the first time I mentioned it publically and I did only because I thought is was relevant. I don't think I was "spouting a bunch of uninformed, twisted gossip." It was a simple question.

Maybe you would like to answer it.
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I wasn't going to post on this anymore but I'd just like to say that even if you wrote that about a motorcyclist I would have said the same thing. For someone who promotes 2 wheels so much why would call this person a poseur and Nazi just because they didnít wave? And what really got me were your comments, that you later deleted, that got even more personal, even ridiculing his Stella, all because he didnít wave? Iím no fan of the Barron but then I donít particularly like Stellaís either, what he rode wasnít the point. Do I get a kick out of it when I would ride my classic BMW and never once got a wave or nod from someone on a new BMW? Yes, would I publicly humiliate the guy? No.

Gary Charpentier
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:34 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Derrick wrote:
Gary, about my MMM comment. That was the first time I mentioned it publically and I did only because I thought is was relevant. I don't think I was "spouting a bunch of uninformed, twisted gossip." It was a simple question.

Ya know, you're right. The first one to put this out was My Pal Foot Foot with:

Quote:
Is that guy saying that he writes for MMM on the radio?

Then someone named Spikehead said:

Quote:
Brad wrote:
...I'll be following MMM Backroads Diary writer Gary Charpentier as he...

That would be former MMM Backroads Diary writer...

Maybe you would like to answer it.

Absolutely. Here's the gist of it: If you check the last "Backroads Diary" column, you will see that I went on "Educational Hiatus" for awhile. I had to take engineering courses for my day job, and they precluded me from taking the kind of trips necessary to continue my column with the same level of quality.

Also, "Backroads Diary" was costing me more money to write than I was getting paid to write it. MMM have a limited budget, and Victor said he couldn't afford to cover my expenses.

The point is: At no time did Victor or myself terminate my employment as an MMM staffer in writing. My official status is: On Educational Hiatus

Anything else you might have heard is pure gossip... as far as I know.

So there it is Derrick. Now that I look back, I realize that I was always Your Hero. I hope that this doesn't sully our relationship.

Ride well,
=gc=
Gary Charpentier
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:38 pm  Reply with quote
Training

433 wrote:
Gary Charpentier wrote:
I am a student of the gonzo school of journalism, pioneered by the late, great Hunter Thompson.

Well, Hunter was a good writer, and you could tell when he was being sarcastic. Maybe you need more drugs.

You may be right.

=gc=
Gary Charpentier
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Matty wrote:
I wasn't going to post on this anymore but I'd just like to say that even if you wrote that about a motorcyclist I would have said the same thing. For someone who promotes 2 wheels so much why would call this person a poseur and Nazi just because they didnít wave? And what really got me were your comments, that you later deleted, that got even more personal, even ridiculing his Stella, all because he didnít wave? Iím no fan of the Barron but then I donít particularly like Stellaís either, what he rode wasnít the point. Do I get a kick out of it when I would ride my classic BMW and never once got a wave or nod from someone on a new BMW? Yes, would I publicly humiliate the guy? No.

OK, first of all, I didn't humiliate the guy. Had I known his name, I wouldn't have put that out there. It all goes back to the satirical nature of the whole piece, and the flow. This was something I thought was amusing; That the whole Harley superiority complex had bled over into the scooter world, and that maybe there were brown holes wandering around, disguised as scooterists.

Secondly, if that were my own site, I would have sat here and pounded out answers to each and every comment. But I don't own that site, and RTW doesn't need that kind of negative publicity. I had to delete the worst of them, and in anger I think I also deleted some reasonable comments as well.

Some of you folks are so close to this, and so waiting for me to fail or crash or whatever, that you aren't reading the blog in it's intended context. You simply want me to go away, and that's too bad. There is some resentment out there because this isn't one of your guys getting his mug on the news for doing this. RTW put out the press release, not me.

I actually read this board for a long time, before I started this project. I can see that you are all decent, intelligent people. I am really, truly sorry that I offended you. But what I read on that other thread, attacking me...OUCH!

So, where do we go from here?

=gc=
Justin242
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:40 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Gary Charpentier wrote:
So, where do we go from here?

=gc=

Group Hug!

Can't we all just get along?
nate
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
There is some resentment out there because this isn't one of your guys getting his mug on the news for doing this. RTW put out the press release, not me.

You might be reading a bit too much into the obsession with being on the news. I think the umbrage that people were taking was due largely with the fact that you decided to 'satirize' some guy on a scooter that didn't wave at you. If you're going to make a funny joke, it's easier (and perhaps smarter) to satirize the guy that's got several scooters (or motorcycles) that he keeps parked in his garage at home because he's simply too lazy to make them road worthy, much less attempt to take them out in the not-so-questionable road conditions. Pretending to be indignant over another fellow Ride-To-Worker seems to kind of be opposed to what the original goal of your blog was. (Assuming that the goal of the blog was to ride to work, and not garner as much media attention as possible.)

Why would the scooter community feel put upon by a motorcycle guy that has deemed it a noble project to ride a lowly scooter for the winter, extoll the virtues of scootering, and then satirize the first scooter rider he saw that may or may not have brushed him off? That'd be utterly ridiculous!

Lev. 15:17
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Man that guy needs to get a fucking blog...
kennylibido
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:38 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You guys are mean. I kinda like the Carpenters. They sing nice songs.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Man who posted my picture on the board.

Dave
kennylibido
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Which one?
dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed