minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Hello, Everybody!
baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

As a new member of this board, I would like to introduce myself. I'm the owner of Baron Motorcycles in Plymouth, MN. I know that this board is predominantly Vespa/Stella and I'm not even sure if I'm welcome here since I sell Chinese bikes, but if this board is for all Minnesota scooter riders, I will be happy to answer any questions about Chinese bikes that you may have.
Spikehead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:49 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
As a new member of this board, I would like to introduce myself. I'm the owner of Baron Motorcycles in Plymouth, MN. I know that this board is predominantly Vespa/Stella and I'm not even sure if I'm welcome here since I sell Chinese bikes, but if this board is for all Minnesota scooter riders, I will be happy to answer any questions about Chinese bikes that you may have.

Hiya _____, and welcome!

All brands welcome here.

Mike
nealaustin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:17 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Howdy and welcome. I saw your site a couple of weeks ago and was intrigued about a twin cities company that imports Chinese scooters. At the time I looked I was fairly open to any kind of scoot. But after reading the experience of users on other boards the idea of buying Chinese sounded like stripping naked and rolling in poison ivy. If your scooters are good you have an uphill battle because of the shoddiness of others.

Neal

Brooke
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nealaustin wrote:
Howdy and welcome. I saw your site a couple of weeks ago and was intrigued about a twin cities company that imports Chinese scooters. At the time I looked I was fairly open to any kind of scoot. But after reading the experience of users on other boards the idea of buying Chinese sounded like stripping naked and rolling in poison ivy. If your scooters are good you have an uphill battle because of the shoddiness of others.

Neal

Far be it from me to come to the defense of crap scooters, but I think a lot has been improving and a few operations have been actually giving parts support. I checked out a CF Moto scoot (like the baron sells) and so much has improved over the last 3 or 4 years. They may be ugly, big, heavy and generally not my kind of thing but the quality of the wiring harness, plastic and general engine build seemed ok. The one that was apart was from the owner changing the oil and not putting the drain plug back in tight and riding until the motor went or something. I still don't think they are up to KYMCO quality but improvement is a good thing. Now the price is going up for the "good" mainland china bikes due to the costs of warranty and parts support and just making sure it's a good product in general (in addition to DOT/emission certification) so I can already see a trend that will probably put the prices closer to the more proven/established brands and then the quality and support will have to equal them if they want to compete.

I came across a page with CF Moto stuff on it from Tulsa Scooters that I thought was a fair assessment and this is from people that are trying to sell them:

"Chinese scooters are all over the board in quality. Most are still very questionable at best. But just like Japan in the 60's and Taiwan and Korea have been more recently, the Chinese are beginning to produce some very well built scooters with material quality rising as well."

from http://www.tulsascooters.com/malaguti.htm

In terms of buying a new scooter the saying of getting what one pays for is generally applicable. And keep in mind that it's no one else's fault if a person sways from this in either monetary direction.

In general, I just wanted to post this to defuse a potential tiresome thread of Chinese scooter/Baron bashing and less than honest or helpful arguments.
nealaustin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm not saying that they are all crap and I bet Baron is trying to get the best quality that he can. I just don't trust them enough yet. And each time some yokel imports a piece of trash from mainland China it will make it harder for the quality scooter importers from China to compete.

Neal

baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:32 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

If anyone is interested in seeing the bikes, you're welcome to stop by our shop. We are a full service scooter dealer, not just a box pusher. We also have our own EPA certification as well as CARB. We import our bikes directly from the factories and have very close working relationship with them. I know this sounds like spam, but most objections to Chinese scooters that I've heard so far were related to not having service and poor supply of parts. We're local and we have full supply of parts, so stop by and say hi. You're welcome to inspect the quality of bikes so that information you're getting is not second hand. We do not allow test rides in the winter, but as soon as the ice melts, everyone is welcome to test drive the bikes (provided that you have a motorcycle endorsement). We also offer scooter towing service and winter storage in a heated warehouse.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sounds like spam?

On the Chinese product thing. I am in the market for a guitar amp and was looking at the new Vox AC30CC2's and was supprised to find out they are being made in China. I was reading customer reviews and it was just like reading Chinese scooter reviews. So much so, I found it funny. Most people were disappointed. Some people loved them. I think Brooke is right. The quality is coming up but the price will follow as well.

Hey Mr. Baronscooters, I've been waiting for someone to ask but I think most people would rather avoid the subject. How do you like being a sponser for Gary?
baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Noob

I like being sponsor for Gary very much. Anyone who decides to do a crazy thing like this deserves being sponsored. I also like reading his blog... his writing style is very good.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
his writing style is very good.

* spits out orange juice *

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Matty
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brooke wrote:
Far be it from me to come to the defense of crap scooters, but

Man I was so looking forward to a 2am cocktail fuel brookespeed rant...

Lisa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
baronmotorcycles wrote:
his writing style is very good.

* spits out orange juice *

That and he's making such good pals in the scooter community?

Seriously, you do have to try pretty hard to NOT make friends in this crowd. His efforts have been really outstanding in that area.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It was only 9:45 PM.

Must have been before Brooke left for the bar.
Ritchie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:42 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;
Egan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

mmmm chinese Spam. So good.

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
If anyone is interested in seeing the bikes, you're welcome to stop by our shop.

What's the location and hours for Baron?

Thanks