minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Hello, Everybody!
Justin242
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote
Training

I forget that some people may not have a tasteless sense of humor.

Last edited by Justin242 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Poor taste. Please remove. Thanks.

Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks. Not trying to censor but... Cool thanks for edit.

Brooke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
Thanks. Not trying to censor but... Cool thanks for edit.

Wow. You pushed and found Egan's limits... I'm shocked.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Man, if it was that tasteless, I wish I knew what it said!

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Question for bargin Jim or Mr. Baron.

How many factories are making scooters in China? I know many are made at the same factory and just rebadged for some reason. But, there must be many manufacturers. How did you find a good manufacturer? There seem to be so many.

Geely
Tank
Qiggly some thing or other?
Something different all the time.

Also, most (if not all) Chinese made scooters are copies of other brands. They are cheaper knock offs of others, right?

I would think it would be very risky to base a business on Chinese scooters. I think it is very fair to say they have a questionable history. Even today there are issues with Chinese scooters.

Please read this at your friends site.

http://www.scooterbbs.com/cgi-bin/board/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4217&forum=DCForumID11&omm=0

I know it's not labed a Baron but it is Chinese.
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

http://www.bargainjims.com/Images/Products/ProductAd.ASP?ItemCode=trex&cat=Weird%20stuff&subcat=

Dude why buy a scooter when you can have your very own trained dinasaur!!

There are some many COOL things here and oh...Scooters too.

Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wait a minute...

"Here's a brand new 8' tall real leather tyrannosaurus rex dinosaur. It measures just under 8 feet tall. It is completely wrapped in genuine leather and made in India. Look at the size of this guy... that is a 2002 Honda Accord in front of him. I think Godzilla has met his match. "

New?? now what the?? I ain't no palentolgist but I knows a fake when I sees one. That thing is not real. Be careful buying from this guy, geesh trying to dupe us with a dinasaur.

Brad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
New?? now what the?? I ain't no palentolgist but I knows a fake when I sees one. That thing is not real. Be careful buying from this guy, geesh trying to dupe us with a dinasaur.

I wouldn't worry, the dinasaur has a 30 day warranty.

It looks like a whole harbor freight/axman thing going on at Bargian Jims. Not dissing anyone, I actually bought my sandblaster from harbor freight. It's an adventure every trip, much better than the Mall of America.

Last edited by Brad on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:53 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
That thing is not real.

Yeah, what clued me in was that he's only restrained by one rope around the tail. No self-respecting T-Rex could be prevented from ravaging a Honda, and then Plymouth, with only one rope around the tail!

baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

BargainJims started its operations in 2000. Chinese scooters were not coming to US at that time yet. We were a liquidation and importing company. We saw the opportunity in scooters about 3 years ago. First we sold Geely, but then decided to import our own. It was a long road to get the bikes legal, but we've done it.

We still have some miscellaneous inventory left and that's all shown on our website. Scooters, however, are our main business. Visit us and you will see. Rexy has been in our warehosue for about 2 years now. Nobody seems to want one of these in their living room.

To answer the question about Chinese companies. There are about 80 legitimate companies in China right now. Most of them do not manufacture their own parts, but are assembly houses. They all make scooters of the same design. There are also many parts manufacturing facilities and the quality of parts manufactured at these facilities varies widely.

The assembly houses usually assemble the bike from scratch. Engine moulds, cylinders, valves, frames, plastic all come in separately. The trick to choosing a good assembly house is to visit them, look at the merchandise and see what kind of testing they do before leaving the factory. All bikes that are made for us go through a dynomometer to make sure they operate properly. The bikes are completely assembled, tested, then partially disassembled and packaged into crates.

Another important part is parts support. We know that 20% of bikes straight out of the crate wil have problems. Broken plastic is most common. We make sure that we get enough parts with our shipments to account for these problems.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks. That is interesting.

I would think there is a bit of risk in dealing with "Chinese assembly houses" on the other side of the planet. I have heard that it is very difficult to get foreign "manufactures" to maintain good quality control. Especially for such a relatively small and demanding market like the U.S. Not to mention the general instabilty/changing enviroment in China. This is however the current trend.

It will be interesting to see how the relationship and all its factors evolve.

P.S. I see Geely automobiles are on the way.
baronmotorcycles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:51 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

This all depends on the factory and buyer's relationship with it. Small factory will produce 100K bikes per year. Large one is about 1M per year. I prefer dealing with smaller factories because they listen to my input. So far they've been very responsive and accomodated our design changes.
Spikehead
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

baronmotorcycles wrote:
You're talking about 50cc bikes from 2 years ago. Yes, there were problems. As far as 150cc and 250cc bikes, they've seen a LOT of improvements.

In much the same way I suspiciously eye the Baron scoots, until I rode the People 250 as part of the MMM endurance test http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2005/77/review77.htm I was wary of all the TROC scooters. That ride convinced me that Kymco is turning out some well engineered scoots. Gus' spin around Lake Ontario on the TGB pizza wagon was an eye opener as well. http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2005/79/onroad79.htm It would be interesting to do a similar test on one of the Baron 150 or 250cc offerings to determine if we're really the misinformed, ignorant bastards our wives say we are.

So, Baron sir... are ya interested? Between GC's daily rides, and solid showing in a 24hr demo, I think the rabid critics would be rendered toothless.

I hearby volunteer my services for Scooter Test Deux.

Mike Etlicher
Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Spikehead wrote:
It would be interesting to do a similar test on one of the Baron 150 or 250cc offerings to determine if we're really the misinformed, ignorant bastards our wives say we are.

So, Baron sir... are ya interested? Between GC's daily rides, and solid showing in a 24hr demo, I think the rabid critics would be rendered toothless.

I hearby volunteer my services for Scooter Test Deux.

Mike Etlicher

Ahhh yes, the mighty Kymco. I am feeling a wee bit nostalgic myself. Perhaps a Bun Burner Gold is in order? Shall we round up the usual suspects?
K