minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Hello, Everybody!
Spikehead
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kevin K wrote:
Spikehead wrote:
It would be interesting to do a similar test on one of the Baron 150 or 250cc offerings to determine if we're really the misinformed, ignorant bastards our wives say we are.

So, Baron sir... are ya interested? Between GC's daily rides, and solid showing in a 24hr demo, I think the rabid critics would be rendered toothless.

I hearby volunteer my services for Scooter Test Deux.

Mike Etlicher

Ahhh yes, the mighty Kymco. I am feeling a wee bit nostalgic myself. Perhaps a Bun Burner Gold is in order? Shall we round up the usual suspects?
K

Let me speak wit' the Baron first. Prolly in the next few days.

Um, Baron... we gots to find a different name for you. "Baron" is too close to "King" - and I keep picturing you as the BK King. I think we can all agree that is much, much too creepy to continue.

<shudder>
dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
I keep picturing you as the BK King. I think we can all agree that is much, much too creepy to continue.

How about that BK commerical where the guy wakes up and the king is in bed with him.... Way creepy. I don`t think I will eat there again....

Dave
nealaustin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

dmarquis wrote:
Quote:
I keep picturing you as the BK King. I think we can all agree that is much, much too creepy to continue.

How about that BK commerical where the guy wakes up and the king is in bed with him.... Way creepy. I don`t think I will eat there again....

Dave

I suppose they believe that anything that sticks in your head is good advertisement; but yeah, that ad was creepy on so many different levels - beyond the obvious, it always seemed to me that it had this kind of stoned-out vibe to it. This guy wakes up with a giant cartoonish playing-card king sitting in his bed with him, and he annd the dude are laughing without saying anything...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

To: Denizens of the minnescoota.com message board
Fr: 433, CEO/CFO/SCHMOE
Re: The Burger King:

http://theburgerking.ytmnd.com/

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:36 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kymco scooters are amazing. They have their shit together. They are the best modern scooter company period!

Here's my preference list. Favorite first.

Nothing beats an original mechanically rebuilt vintage Italian scooter. The BEST styling, simple great design, fun, and totally reliable. I would ride my Vespa SS180 or my Lambretta TV to California and back no problem. People that say they are unreliable have never experienced a properly rebuilt one. These are really the only bikes I love.

The Stella is next. Of course a "vintage" guy would say that. But if you don't want to rebuild your engine but love the vintage look, the Stella is it. It's better than an old P200 and I don't really like the new Vespas. I know I will piss alot of people off (sorry JD) but the new vespas look like Barbie bikes. Plus, I can't stand what Piaggio has turned into. Talk about a company run by pre-modonnas!

The Kymcos are the best modern scooters period. Unbelieveable reliablity, great model selection, decent pricing... what else could you ask for in a modern bike?

Then there are a bunch of middle of the road stuff. Some interesting stuff but nothing that stands out.

Sorry, Baron but the Chinese stuff is at the very bottom. I guess if you are the cheapest basterd in the world and like to be disapointed they would be O.K. Not to mention being ready to spin the wrench ASAP. I can't see how the "parts assembly" method of building a scooter can work well. 80 plus scooter manufacturers making all different qualities of the same bike? Crazy! Imagine the back alleys in China. There must be scooter parts pushers just crawling all over.

I'm sure I missed something but that's it in a nut. Of course this is my opinion and everyone will differ.
nealaustin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:46 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derric, whatever floats your boat. Thank God that we have the choices that we do. My choices would be Piaggio, Vespa, Stella, Kymko and I agree with you on the chineese. They sell too much anyway. Just go down to your local Target and that's all you will find. Mainland Chinese crap!

Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Where is the Fly made?

Isn't it the Chinese wing of Piaggio?

Just kidding. I don't know. Probably asia somewhere. Maybe China. I know they signed some sort of manufacturing deal.
Brad
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

It doesn't really matter what we think, our grandkids will all be taking mandarin chinese as a requirement in High School.

I imagine what we are going through must be about how Great Britain felt after WWII - bankrupt and the end of the empire. It's pretty scarey when one of the largest sectors of your economy is entertainment.

I'm not convinced that I'd want to by a Baron "Fashion" (who names these things anyhow?), but I admire the way they participate in the world economy from Plymouth Minnesota. We need more of that.

Brooke
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[quote="Derrick"]. I can't see how the "parts assembly" method of building a scooter can work well. quote]

Once again, far be it from me to defend crappy scooters but, you're kidding right? How did KYMCO start again? I don't think they made those parts for people to use as door stops.
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I understand that Brooke. But Kymco is a relatively "made in house scooter". It's not a piece meal thing that is "quality" (or not) made to order by one of 80 different "assembly factories".

I don't think that comparison is fair.

Regardless, I know you and I think you understand what I am saying. At least I hope you do.
Brooke
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think it's a fair comparison to Honda, who would outsource many of it's parts to submanufacturers like KYMCO.

I think most products, even piaggio scooters are made from components from all over the world. I just don't see that aspect as all that different. I'd agree that it seems to be failure on several levels from component supply to final prep that contribute to the questionable record of scooters from mainland china but the mass production of vehicles from outsourced components is just how everyone does it. I don't see it mattering all that much if chassis is welded in house as long as the house in question maintains a level of standards that would be acceptable from their suppliers. Maybe a factory specializing in tubing bending and welding would do a better job at making chassis than a from-scratch manufacturer.
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I agree. The problem I see is that the "assembly factories" are just using what is available on the market. They are using cheap copied parts. The assemble houses are not really designing their own parts or the scooters they assemble. They are really kind of cheap frankin scooters.

When Honda went to Kymco for engines they said make them like this and to this quality. The engines were specific for Honda scooters not a copy of a Yamaha engine. Most good manufactures use subcontractors but they make them conform to their needs and designs.

It's not the same with most Chinese knock off scooters.
Egan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/trex.jpg

YEEHAW!

PS I stole this art work.I'm not that good.

some_dude
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

on a somewhat China/Motorcycle note...

The article is mostly about HD's in China, but has some insight into how China views two wheelers.

http://www.startribune.com/535/story/190482.html

Interesting quote: "some 170 Chinese cities limit or ban motorcycle use or ownership, largely because they are viewed as underpowered, cheap, polluting machines." Maybe it's due to the products they normally see?