minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Japan Scooters
dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hello All,

Well it is that time of year for the family. We are on our year Japan stint and man are there lots of scooters here. I haven;t ever seen a vespa, but I have seen some cool mopeds and scotoers thou!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C100

Of course Honda and other manufacturers make lots of scooters that never see the US mainland...

Dave
Brooke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

We got those over here in the 70's. Pick up a little magazine called MotoChamp. It's sweet. Tons of cool stuff. They make an annual called ScooterChamp as well. But MotoChamp is mostly scooters too but along with those monkey bikes, XR50-100s, NSRs and other small displacement bikes.
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

My brother had a little honda trail 70 in the 70's. We also had an ATC 90 with basically the same motor.

What was neat about these is that they had a semi-auto. You shifted, but there was no clutch. Volkswagen made a bug in the early 70's with the same sort of setup.

Our ATC 90 had a 4-speed with a hi-low transmission. I still wouldn't mind getting a CT 90 or 110 to knock around on. I think that Mojo has a couple of them.

There are chinese knockoffs still on the market, but I'm not sure what is good or bad.

LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Growing up I had the Kawasaki version of that bike. 75ccs. Rode it around in the back yard tho it was completely titled and tagged.

My dad rode it to teach summer school so I wouldn't ride it while there was no adult supervision around. The other teachers likened him to an ape tooling around on a unicycle. Small bike, but super fun.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hi all, Ya there are tons of scooters around here. Also I have seen many of the larger version looking motorcycles but with 150 cc motors.. Kinda cool. If I have my stella the max speed on the hi-way is 60KMH so I could really keep up and pass people....

I prolly end up getting arrested for speeding...
Dave
DriveIn
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:37 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Had a Rockford Tora Motorcycle in the early 70's. It was mainly used to make trips across the back 40 to round up livestock. Was taller than most others, which was much better than feeling like you were on a little tricycle with the short sized bikes like the kawasakis and others. Hated the knees in the ears short seating on the other makes of the time. Eventually traded it in on a lawnmower, well used and abused by then. Now we use a grounds keeper golf cart to check the back 40 acres, was a trade-in when Barnum & Bailey Circus passed through the twin cities a few years back. Isn't the same, much more comfortable instead with a roof and windshield and no kickstand to sink in the sand when changing gates. The golf cart is kinda like a rickshaw without the rough ride or blue smoke.