minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  cool
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

ninahale wrote:
Yeah, we saw those and took the brouchure also. Pretty cool. Sidecars might be for losers - or for people with kids or dogs.

Or for people who might want to ride all winter, despite ANY crappy conditions that Ma Nature deals out. Sidecars still beat driving a cage, IMO.
K
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

For anyone still interested, or just stalling from completing their TPS reports, here's some really cool videos from the official Ural website.
My only question: WHAT is up with that Blues music sung in Russian???
K

http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies.htm
nate
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

People with kids and dogs are losers!

I'm intrigued by the concept of turning the sidehack wheel into a drive wheel. That's available on the 'upper end' Urals, right? That's kind of made me ralize that a Sidecar is something you kind of have to commit to, and not something you can just slide on and off with a couple of cotter pins several times a week.

Lev. 15:17
Kevin K
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I believe the Troyka is the only model where the sidecar is (somewhat) easily removed. The reason most rigs aren't set up like that is there's a fair amount of "dialing in" when putting a sidecar onto a bike: "lean in" and other geometrical things that need to be just right or the rig will handle horribly. So yeah, it is kind of a commitment.

The driven third wheel is kind of cool, but can only be used in snow, or off-road where traction is at a minimum. Why? Easy--no differential.
Also, on the 2WD rigs the "chair" (sidecar body) sits a lot higher up since it has to clear the axle leading to the third wheel. This translates to a higher center of gravity.
Bottom line: most guys with hacks just run a standard rear wheel drive only and get by just fine, even in deep snow. Although I do love the clips of the 2WD rigs Off Roading it.

K (loser with a kid and a dog)
Spikehead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
That W650 would look classy with a classic sidecar...

Why yes, yes it would.
Brad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Kevin K wrote:
IThe driven third wheel is kind of cool, but can only be used in snow, or off-road where traction is at a minimum. Why? Easy--no differential.
K (loser with a kid and a dog)

So these rigs have a solid rear axle? Wow. So they must handle like my old honda ATV, you had to lean OUT when going around a curve (to lift the inside wheel off).

Cool.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad wrote:
So these rigs have a solid rear axle? Wow. So they must handle like my old honda ATV, you had to lean OUT when going around a curve (to lift the inside wheel off).

Cool.

Almost. The rig is 1-wheel drive unless you engage the outer sidecar wheel, and Ural's documentation makes a point that you should *never* do this on pavement, as it will make the rig impossible to steer. So normally, no - it's just single-wheel drive.

Spikehead
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad wrote:

Cool.

Wait, I thought they were uncool. <checking notes> Yes, that right... - uncool. -'Course that's only until I get one again.

The Ural's driven sidecar wheel can be engaged or disengaged ("on demand" they call it), but once engaged there's no differential or viscous coupling in the system to my knowledge. If this is true, the rig would need to be run on a "soft" surface in 2wd mode. Anyone used to old-time four wheel drive systems would be familiar with the short and long term consequences of not doing so. (Bad Things.)