11%  [ 2 ]
Hybrid - Saint Paul Start but end at Betties
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

fnirt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

So I've been noodling the new route for the TNR and wanted some feedback. So I'm attempting to set up a poll here. Thoughts? My Saint Paul route would start at the Monument at the river and Summit and end... Dunno where. Would be nice to end at a coffee shop. I grew up in Saint Paul, so I'm trying to come up with all of the cool nooks and crannies for this route while still keeping it simple. Hopefully will be fun.

One of these Tuesday's soon I'll show up at Betties and we can talk about it if anyone is interested.

TNR?

The TNR is a static route every tuesday night, ideally predictable enough that folks can join in on the ride halfway or at certain landmarks. The idea for 2006 was to make the route start/be/end in Saint Paul, since last year so many people huffed over from the Capital City.

(TNR = Tuesday Night Ride)

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Here's a thought: start or start and end at Betty's. Logistically, you're closer to St. Paul then the '05 meeting place at Lake Harriet, so you have the option of doing either a Minneapolis or St. Paul (or both!) route. You are also close enough to the river to hit River Road pretty easily.
Just my .02.
K

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Betty's to Grumpy's NE then back to Betty's sounds pretty good to me. Or if that's too long of a ride just going to Elsies would be cool too.

nate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Or the Perkins on Robert Street to the Liffey and back! that'd keep it all saint paul.
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
Betty's to Grumpy's NE then back to Betty's sounds pretty good to me. Or if that's too long of a ride just going to Elsies would be cool too.

Yeah, Minneapolis is the only place to live/ride, especially NE.

You know - I keep hearing about this St Paul place, I think I may even have seen it from 94 once on my way to Wisconsin. Some day I may go exploring & see if I can find it. I hear that it's closed evenings and weekends though.
Matty
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:20 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

nate wrote:
Or the Perkins on Robert Street to the Liffey and back! that'd keep it all saint paul.

Betty's to ChuckE. Cheese's?

nate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:22 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Seriously though, You could probably do something like Swede Hollow coffee shop (are they open tuesday nights) and cruise up the parkways northways, past como and ride to betty's. And then make your way back down the river road to summit to grand and end at the grand old creamery for ice cream. Woo woo.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

some_dude wrote:
You know - I keep hearing about this St Paul place, I think I may even have seen it from 94 once on my way to Wisconsin. Some day I may go exploring & see if I can find it. I hear that it's closed evenings and weekends though.

Once I arrived at the Children's Museum with my daughter at 4:00. As I left at 5:00 at their closing time, I actually watched St. Paul employees roll up the sidewalks and place them under blankets for the night. They turned off the lights in the skyway at exactly 5:00. Not exactly the way to reinvigorate a city, especially since Minneapolis gets more entertaining all the time.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom--St. Paul usually stays open later on Rollergirl nights.

Another TNR thought: MacKenzie's (on Hennepin in downtown Mpls.) hosts Two Wheeled Tuesdays every, um, Tuesday. Once a month they even have free BBQ. Could be an occasional spot to end the ride at.
K

Spikehead
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

fnirt wrote:
(TNR = Tuesday Night Ride)

Why not mix it up with alternating Mpls. and St. Paul rides every other week? Doing the same ride every week seems too damn much like commuting to me.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well, the cool thing about the TNR is that it's the first entry into the scene for a lot of people, and having it at least start in the same place every week makes it easier for people to find us. How about alternating routes starting at the same place every time?

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
michelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

exactly. having it start at the same spot is important... just like the 1st/3rd sunday things @ luce. the second you start changing the departure time, location... things get confusing. people don't always have access to this board to check last minute updates & then they might miss it.

anywhoo... i like the idea of starting in st. paul & ending at betties (or some version of that). it works for both cities & people in them.

actually, come to think of it, it doesn't much matter to me. i just like to ride.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsyx
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

how about switching it to friday night, and ending up at midway for import night!!! Who doesn't love hanging out in the parking lot outside midway bowl? shit is poppin'!
i'm trying to rig up a trash can chamber on my exhaust, but it keeps scrapin' up the ground. plus, the tint on my windscreen is peeling off! dammit.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

jsyx wrote:
how about switching it to friday night, and ending up at midway for import night!!! Who doesn't love hanging out in the parking lot outside midway bowl? shit is poppin'!

In theory, that would be good. But I think the numbers would be a lot lower for Friday nights - too many spouse / children / travel obligations for the weekend, especially in the summer. Tuesdays are good because just about everybody has to work on Tuesday and Wednesday, so they're in town. And it's hard for one's spouse to argue that Tuesday night is the special night when you have to go to a show or whatever. So it's usually free.

And I agree with Michelle and others, the starting point has to be the same every week. Also, though there weren't a lot of people over the course of the season last year who joined us en route, the fact that people could do so was kind of cool - that would be my objection to have two different routes. And honestly, though I can see the commuting comparison, the repeated route never really got boring, for two reasons - (1) The seasonal changes, weather, sunsets, etc. kept it different week to week, and (2) we were riding in a pack of scooters! That's nothing like commuting. And the group was different every time too.

I guess my first preference would be to leave it the way it was last year. My second would be to have a different stable route for this season. Lake Harriet is just such a great place to meet up though.

Spikehead
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

433 wrote:
...having it at least start in the same place every week makes it easier for people to find us. How about alternating routes starting at the same place every time?

I'm sorry, that is is what I intended. (And I agree - the same start time/location/departure is important.) I was only suggesting an alternating route.