minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  Events  ~  Amerivespa/Lammy Jammy
Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

OK, it's 925 miles from my house to Denver. I need to average 38 MPH to get there in 24 (Earth-time) hours. So just for fun, here's a couple things I need to figure out:

1. What kind of MPG can I expect? Do the P200 and Stella get approximately the same gas mileage? This will determine how much fuel I'd need to carry. My goal would be a range of about 250 miles, which would mean 3 stops for gas.

2. How much oil does a P/Stella hold? What is the rate of consumption at, oh say 50-60 MPH? Yes, I know that the P would likely be able to cruise at just under 60. The Stella might be happier at 50. If I can't get a range of 250 miles on a tank of oil, then it's pointless to try for a 250 mile range for gas. Or could a guy just pre-mix and not run the oil injection?
-K

Last edited by Kevin K on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Stellas in stock form get from 65-90 mpg. On the Duluth run I was getting close to 80 MPG, so with the standard tank and nothing else, you can get about 150 miles.

My oil consumption varies greatly, but I've never had a liter of oil last less than 600 miles. And the best I got was about 900. My last liter lasted about 650 miles. The autolube provides more oil at higher speeds and/or greater throttle, so at WOT for a full day you'll be going through it pretty quick. Still, I can't imagine less than 500 miles.

I think that practically speaking you're not going to be able to get from here to Denver in 24 hours without a catheter. Even short stops are going to be very detrimental since your average speed when rolling will just be about 50 mph.

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah I don't think you'll have to worry at all about oil and keeping the autolube would be nice. The Stella will probably get you better milage.

What route would you take?

Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

OK, some basic math: If I could run at 50 MPH the whole way, non-stop, it would take me 18.5 hours to get there. Of course, that isn't possible but here is a realistic scenario:

50 MPH + 3 gas/oil stops at 15 minutes each + 2 separate 1 hour power naps would put us there in 21.25 hours. Throw in another 2 hours for misc. stops and we're there in under 24 hours. Totally do-able!
-K

Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
What route would you take?

I haven't figured out a route yet. I do know that I would want to run on the Interstate after dark. Even with a halogen conversion the stock headlight's not that great, coupled with the fact that running two lanes at night just plain sucks--especially if traffic in the oncoming lane consists mostly of semi's. Which, at night, it usually does.
-K

Matty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Don't forget you may be going against the wind and it's pretty much all uphill so that will slow you down a bit too. You should totally go for it though!

Route would be tough, don't know if I would feel safe doing 50 in a 75mph zone across Nebraska, would need some bright lights in the back for sure.

What day would you leave?

Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Not sure what day I'd leave. Probably a day before everyone else so they can pick me up on the way if I break down! <G>

Instead of extra lights on back, I would make sure that the 3M relective strip on the back of my Aerostich is visible. Plus, my gear bag (that would go on the rear rack) has some decent reflective striping as well. The plus side to that is that if you're on the side of the road (flat tire, dead battery, had to pee, etc.) you're more visible. And I know that you can see the 'stich from at least a mile away. I was also thinking of adding a second battery and pilfering one of the driving lights off of the K. Maybe a gel MC battery mounted in the glove box and connected to the main battery.
So much to think about....

So who else is going for sure?
-K

dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I totaly thought about it and I am kinda wanting to go. I would stick to the back roads thou and cut across the top of Iowa into nebraska....

Lets have a planning meeting!!!

Dave
Brad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:32 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The Duluth Run was 380 miles in two days. We were semi-pushing it on the way home (190 miles, about 47 mph speeds) and it was 6 hours with gas, lunch and a stop at a motorcycle shop. I'm guessing that 300 miles per day would be realistic if you were serious and your bike ran perfect (iffy for any scooter of a 30 year old design, even a new one).

I'd figure three days for the 925 miles, if all went well. That's if you plan on sleeping, eating and going to the bathroom and you are not Hodge.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:45 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I would do it in 2 days or you could ride on through and crash at the hotel.....

Dave
Matty
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

If it helps the people who have ridden to our rally from Chicago say it took them 11-12 hours hauling ass the whole way.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Anyone intrested in riding there and then renting a uhaul back?

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

When is it?

Kevin K
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

July 27-30. http://www.amerivespa.org/
-K

trishie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

you're not going to get 250 miles per tank. probably more like 150, tops. and that's assuming you feel safe getting to empty before fueling up. unless you're also carrying a gas tank, I would likely make it a goal to fuel up every 100 miles, or less, especially in Nebraska and Colorado. sparse populations in the West mean you get gas when you can, not when you want. So that would be more like 7-10 gas stops (at least).

Nebraska I-80 speed limit is 75 in most places. that means a lot of the traffic is going 80-90 MPH. I for sure wouldn't feel safe there on a Stella or P. I'd prefer US 34 and/or US 30 -- still pretty direct but slower speeds, more like what you'd be able to keep up with. Of course the downside is you'll go through more towns, traffic, and lights. On the other hand you're for sure dead meat traveling I-80 esp at night.

I predict a P200/Stella trip time of 28-30 hours. more getting there, less getting back (uphill vs downhill). Even doing that in just two days you'll be pretty wiped out. It would be awesome if you did the trip, you'd definitely be in the running for furthest ridden. (but does a stella even count at Amerivespa?)