minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  It lives
Brad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[quote="Brad"]Nov 14 - It looks like winter is coming back. Last night I washed my scooter, filled it with fresh gas, dumped in a little sea foam, and put it away. [quote]

I fired up the scooter today. So that makes about 4 1/2 months it was sleeping.

Before I started it, I changed the oil and pulled the gas tank to check it for gunk. I had a little problem with no working reserve at the end of the season last year. Being ham-handed, I snapped a piece of pot metal off of the shutoff valve when I pulled out the tank. $11 later, I had a new valve from Bob. He had never sold one before, but had it in stock from his original shipment of parts back in 2002. I also discovered that the fuel line was soft and pinched where it goes into the tank.

I cleaned out the tank, put the new shut-off valve in, put a new fuel line on ($1.17)then stuck the tank back into the body. After I had the whole thing bolted back in, I discovered the shutoff valve would not move. I had put a new cotter key in the valve, but it was to big and rubbing up against something. Once again I took it apart and put a smaller cotter key in the valve. Now it turns, the reserve works (must have been something in the shut-off valve), and it actually started.

It took me hours to figure out how to get the tank out in the first place. (clue: there is a set screw at the end of the shutoff lever. Remove that and everything lifts out). Now I bet I could change a gas tank in about 20 minutes.

I check the OHV. 7,000 miles and spot on. 50/50 chance that I screwed that up also, factory clearance is about .003-.004 (think thin like a sheet of paper). But these Bajaj's are so damned forgiving to idiots like me.

I still have to change that euro brake lever. I got a new lever last fall and now can't find it. Still have to grease it also.

If I drag my a** out of bed early enough tomorrow, I'll hop on for my first ride to work for the season. Got a new rainsuit (Frog Toggs), so I'm almost hoping for a little rain. I'm shooting for the 10,000 mile mark this year.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sweet Brad! Happy riding! I hope to see you around.

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:14 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Good for you! We could TNR tomorrow night...

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

No TNR for me, Tuesdays are always booked.

It ran about normal this morning. A little cold-blooded at 32 degrees. I had one minor fuel starvation issue on highway 88. On Bajaj's the gas tank doesn't always vent correctly. The vent is hooked up to a charcol canister (polution control equipment) under the seat. Sometimes fuel gets down the line and vacuum develops at high speed - the motor can't suck fuel. I might just disconnect the vent hose like last year, to see if that takes care of it.

I had to kick start it, the battery was low (I checked the levels in it, but didn't charge it). It was charged when I got to work, so the rectifier works.

Back on the road again : )

Matty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Aw, and here I was thinking you got the SuperGltypething going!

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:04 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
Aw, and here I was thinking you got the SuperGltypething going!

No, that's still in parts. I quit in disgust when I couldn't get a spark from the motor a month or so ago. I picked up some stuff to build an engine stand, but have been so busy with work and school I haven't gotten back to it.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Cool. Well I hope you can make it to one of the Sunday rides or something. Interested in Amerivespa?

Dave
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

No Amerivespa is to far and I'm planning a couple of backpacking trips this summer. I might take a run up to St. Cloud if that scooter group has a ride or just to see my parents. I've never done it and it looks like an easy run. Lexington north to Main St. west. Cross the river in Anoka and take the river road on the west side of the Missisippi to Clearwater and either St. Cloud or back roads to my folks house.

Still thinking about MilleLacs also, but haven't figured out a route yet. Could do in one day or camp in Kathio State Park.

Duluth in the fall.

MinnMax has also posted their ride schedule here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minn-Max/database?method=reportRows&tbl=15

Lots of options, just not that much time.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Duluth would be great! I am excitted about the around lake Milacs thing... wanna have a planning session or two?

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, I'm excited about both Mille Lacs and Duluth. What are the dates for those two? I remember there being some discussion a while back, but I'm feeling lazy and hence not looking it up.

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think that we were talking Saturday, June 3 for Millelacs and the weekend after labor day (possibly Friday, Saturday and Sunday) for Duluth.

MinnMax was going to do a Millelacs assault on the 10th I think.

Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad wrote:
I think that we were talking Saturday, June 3 for Millelacs and the weekend after labor day (possibly Friday, Saturday and Sunday) for Duluth.

MinnMax was going to do a Millelacs assault on the 10th I think.

Sounds good, I think I'm in for both.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Me too..... yippie!!!!

Dave