minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  What Happened to Schwinn?
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Used to make great bikes now they are down to ripping off a copy of a copy Chinese scoot?

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php/?p=2772#more-2772

Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Same old - same old. Sell a quality name to some low end manufacturer and someone will buy it - for a while.

"How much you pay for front fork? Oh, you pay to much! I got one much cheaper.!"
scootervillain
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Sounds like TNG/CMSI got fleeced by the Schwinn folks. Also sounds like a tough legal challenge with a verbal agreement made with Schwinn.
Too bad. CMSI has put a lot of effort into providing a viable Chinese scooter product with good customer support, only to back doored by their supplier and Schwinn.
yoyo65
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:09 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm sorry guys, I didn't know. Remember, I'm new to scootering.

I bought the Schwinn because I could afford it , I liked the style and features it has and I would've thought I could trust the Schwinn name.
Yes, I would've rather had a Vespa or a Stella, but quite frankly, I couldn't afford those. Maybe someday I will be able to. I do not have a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers' liscense. At that time I was too scared to get one. Now I have my permit and am taking the course in June.

That said, it has been working very well for me. The only problem I've had so far is the turn signal locking up , makes it hard to turn off. (I already have the part order, now just to figure out out to install the new one)
Pretty minor compared to the Eton Matrix we had last year. I don't think we even got to 1000 miles on that one and the trunk broke to different times in two different spots. The head light stopped working. Leaked oil. Breaks squeaked consistently even when it was brand new.

You all have already read the problems we were having with DH's first Piaggio Fly 150. didn't even get more than 75 miles on that one.
the one he has now is working great, no problems. When I ride his (I got to take it to work last night :) thanks DH!) I can tell the difference in the quailty . I don't think the Schwinn is a poor quality scoot, but the Fly is definently a better scoot. But DH's cost almost twice as much as mine. And you need a motorcycle endorsment to ride it. Of course that has not stopped DH, he has not even got his permit yet LOL!

But Schwinn's (Actually Pacific Cycle) business practices would have me think twice about buying another product from them.
Sure, and I just looked at their website last night and they have come out with about 4 new scoots. One of them being a 150cc Graduate, which is now what I would rather have instead of a 49cc. (somebody want to help me kit it out ;) LOL)
www.schwinnscooters.com