minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Parking 125cc Scooter
agigau_k
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Does anyone know if people with 125cc scooters can park on the side walk around the bike lock area around grocery stores, target stores...etc?

Or

Do I have to park way out backwere a large Caddy won't want to squeeze in.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Legally, no. Anything over 50cc (anything with motorcycle plates) legally has to park like a car. They can tag and tow you for parking in a bicycle spot, on the sidewalk, etc. just like a car.

But realistically, sure you can park anywhere. I park my Stella like a bicycle everywhere, and I've never gotten a ticket. Every day at work I pull up to the bike racks and park all day. Just know that you *are* breaking the law, and any law enforcement person whose wife is holding out on him might take out his frustrations on your cute scooter.

I used to be a legal parker - I had a motorcycle permit at the U, I always parked like a car. But then the fucking U decided that it absolutely would not sell me a 2006 motorcycle parking permit in January because I shouldn't be riding in January, even though their website clearly stated that the permits are sold for use January 1 - December 31, at a prorated cost based on when you buy it. That's when I decided, fuck them. And ever since I've been ignoring the parking restrictions. Four months, parking illegally every day, nary a ticket.

YMMV, of course.

some_dude
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Tom Lindsay wrote:
That's when I decided, fuck them.

Umm...no offense, but you're sounding a little frustrated yourself, Tom. Just an observation...
scootervillain
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

He had his bike in the shop today. We can wear people down to the raw nerve ends.
some_dude
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

scootervillain wrote:
We can wear people down to the raw nerve ends.

ooh-ooh...great idea for you to branch out - Herbal therapy and a massage table in the waiting room!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was told by the manager of the Quarry Target that I [b]should[\b] park on the sidewalks, just not right next to the bike racks.

Those are not city sidewalks, they are privately owned. City sidewalks are off limits unless the engine size is 50cc or less (has moped plates).

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

some_dude wrote:
Tom Lindsay wrote:
That's when I decided, fuck them.

Umm...no offense, but you're sounding a little frustrated yourself, Tom. Just an observation...

Yeah, it pissed me off that they would advertise motorcycle permits as potentially 365 days but yet explicitly not sell them until April. They're available now, but I haven't bought one yet. Don't know when I will...

And my frustration has nothing to do with the fine people at Scooterville, who even gave me a ride back to my office in a classic jeepster while my scoot was being serviced, all for the low-low price of $19.80. And they didn't even hassle me about the fact that *I* had jammed all the cables back under the headset cover ever-so-slightly wrong...

So Ed, was it the speedo cable or the speedo itself that you think may be on its way out?

dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What is your speedo doing? Mine is bouncing all over the place until you hit 40 ish....

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

dmarquis wrote:
What is your speedo doing? Mine is bouncing all over the place until you hit 40 ish....

Dave

Well, mine is currently working correctly, as it has always done. But Ed said that while he was in there fixing my lights, he noticed that the {speedo|cable} was damaged a little from jamming the headset cover on slightly wrong, and I might need to replace it.

EvilScooterKitty
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I parked my Stella by the bike racks at several events (Uptown Art Fair, music events, etc.) and have had good luck looking submissively at the cops/secutiry people. Being a fat grey-hair probably helps. They usually look back with that "My God you're pathetic" look and wave me on. My wife, being thin and very cute, just pulls her 125 Vino up to the racks and smiles at "them" no tickets for her either.

Adam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Not that I would ever encourage someone doing something unlawful, but...
    If you do park on a sidewalk or at a bike rack, if there is a way to face your license plate away people passing by, you may reduce your chance of getting ticketed.
I once witnessed a traffic enforcement official ticketing an illegal parked scooter parked at a bike rack. However, she didn't go and check every scooter in the line, only the ones with plates facing the sidewalk. Now for all I know she had already checked the other scoots, but it is also possible that she didn't want to bother squeezing between the bicycles and scooters to look at the plates facing the wall.

Common sense tells us that gambling on people's laziness is a good bet.
fnirt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

And general grumpiness can cause tickets, too.

I parked my Vino in an alley that was blocked by barriers at both ends. Nothing but scoots and motorcycles could get in there, and the only use was apparently a temporary storage area for broken beer bottles, etc.

Vino was a moped, but someone in one of the two buildings got grumpy (after a year and a half of being cool) and had me ticketed. I don't remember what the actual term was, but it was something like "parking on sidewalk" even tho it wasn't the sidewalk blah blah blah. Regardless of my whining, it just proved to me that nothing is immune.

I know people are going to say I'm a noob and back in the 90's NOBODY had scooters, but in the past four years I've seen the gradual increase of scooters of all sized parking at bike racks downtown. Used to be you'd see a bunch of bikes and a scoot, but now it seems like there are a number of scoots at every rack or in every nook and cranny downtown. Which is cool, but it makes me worry that there will be crackdowns from time to time.

And yet the closest legal parking for me on the scoot is 5 blocks away. Nice.

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nate
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The NYC method for parking on the sidewalk involves mounting your plate with velcro, and taking it with you every time you park. Granted, you want to lock the thing down so it doesn't get thrown on a truck and taken.

Tough to get an accurate ticket, but I don't know if I'd claim the bike if there was a parking enforcement officer circling.
scmds
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 am  Reply with quote
Noob

No ticket for me yet, I'm always on the sidewalk, with a P200, although it has moped plates (thanks Brooke). The parking patrol passes by several times a day.

Hey Somedude, I was talking to my boss about parking in front of our building, askn ghim if he cared, he said no he wished there were more Vespa's parked there! Now that the parking patrol has seen mine out ther efor a couple weeks, I was thinking you could probably put yours up on the sidewalk next to mine. The receptionist here has a clear view of my bike so I feel pretty good about leaving it unlocked, plus you could see yours from your office. Yesterday I noticed that the little warehouse across from Lappin Lighting had about ten t-n-g scooters uncreated on the sidewalk that they were putting together, I'm assuming they were bringing them over to that little scooter shop on Washington.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Adam wrote:
Not that I would ever encourage someone doing something unlawful, but...
    If you do park on a sidewalk or at a bike rack, if there is a way to face your license plate away people passing by, you may reduce your chance of getting ticketed.
I once witnessed a traffic enforcement official ticketing an illegal parked scooter parked at a bike rack. However, she didn't go and check every scooter in the line, only the ones with plates facing the sidewalk. Now for all I know she had already checked the other scoots, but it is also possible that she didn't want to bother squeezing between the bicycles and scooters to look at the plates facing the wall.

Common sense tells us that gambling on people's laziness is a good bet.

I forgot to mention this, but yes, I always park with my plate toward the wall, backed as close against it as I can get. If they don't feel like going to the trouble of getting down on their knees against a wall to look at my plates, they can't ticket me. Good added measure of protection...