minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  A Metropolitan that will kick your scooter's ass
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

no matter how you kitted, piped, jetted or nitroused it. Scroll past his (very nice) Beetle pix
http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Mojo Willy
Moses
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Holy cats!

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Damn! I wonder if you can hang on when you hit the afterburner.... It wouls be sweet for passing cars on the interstate....

Dave
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:49 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The drum brakes would totally be good enough to stop it....

Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Do you guys remember that rocket car at Roy's burn-out fest a few years back? Man, that thing was lame. Lots of noise and it hardly moved. How much fun is that?

I suppose if you like playing on an airport runway. Back and forth. Back and forth.

I would rather just get a jet.
Moses
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Caution: Gratuitous cheap shot ahead.

I was just wondering... why not put a rocket engine on a Baron...

... in the same way we used to put bottle rockets on those C3PO toy figures.

Moses
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:11 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I should have entitled this post TODD CAO'S NEW SCOOTER!

I agree the jet the guy had at Roys (and occasionally at Dulono's) is lame, BUT....When I was at Oshkosh Air Show last year they had two very interesting jets. One was this monstrous 30' long thing up the ass of an 18-WHEELER SEMI TRUCK and, yes, it was on an airport runway, BUT when he turned that engine on, the truck literally BLURRED as it rocketed to something like 300+ mph. God, that was intense.

Then there was a guy with a STUNT BIPLANE that looked exactly like a rickety, open-cockpit vintage prop plane (she had that kind of engine too) but then he would turn on this JET especially in a vertical climb and there would be this UNGODLY ROAR and the thing would accelerate to 500 mpg going straight up unti you could barely see it! Your mind could not comprehend the sound of a Mig 9 coming from this POS.

I know we aren't supposed to be Oohing and Ahhing these aging adolescents pissing away freighter loads of precious fuel, but somehow this seems a more rightous use than the fleet of Hummers and SUVs I see moving mindlessly en masse to the Mall (or the cubicle) every day. (see the op-ed by Friedman in today's Strib!)

Mojo Willy
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

When it comes to total all-out power not much can beat the space shuttle. I can't remember but I think it has about 1 million horse power or something. Maybe it was 3 million. Someone will look it up.
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

that thing got a hemi?
Moses
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
When it comes to total all-out power not much can beat the space shuttle. I can't remember but I think it has about 1 million horse power or something. Maybe it was 3 million. Someone will look it up.

I thought the Saturn V was tops.

Yeah, someone check this out...

;)

...well, the Saturn V pumps out, according to Popular Mechanics, "At full throttle, its five first-stage engines produced a thundering 7.6 million pounds of thrust at liftoff."

Now that would be sweet.

Update -- here we go, via Wikipedia:

Quote:
The three-stage Saturn V had a peak thrust of at least 34.02 MN (SA-510 and subsequent)[3] and a lift capacity of 118,000 kg to LEO. The SA-510 mission (Apollo 15) had a liftoff thrust of 7.823 million pounds (34.8 MN). No other operational launch vehicle has ever surpassed the Saturn V in height, weight, or payload. If the two Russian Energia test launches are counted as operational, it had slightly more liftoff thrust (35.1 MN).

Hypothetical future versions of the Soviet Energia would have been significantly more powerful than the Saturn V, delivering 46 MN of thrust and able to deliver up to 175 metric tonnes to LEO in the "Vulkan" configuration. Planned uprated versions of the Saturn V using F-1A engines would have had about 18% more thrust and 137,250 kg (302,580 lb) payload. [4] NASA contemplated building larger members of the Saturn family, including the Nova, but these were never produced.

The Space Shuttle generates a peak thrust of 30.1 MN[5], and payload capacity to LEO (excl. Shuttle Orbiter itself) is only 28,800 kg.

Last edited by Moses on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moses
Stumpy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

These are just off the top of my head.

Rocketdyne's Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSMEs) operates at greater temperature extremes than any mechanical system in common use today. The liquid hydrogen fuel is -423 degrees Fahrenheit, the second coldest liquid on Earth. When the hydrogen is burned with liquid oxygen, the temperature in the engine's combustion chamber reaches + 6000 degrees Fahrenheit - that's higher than the boiling point of Iron.

The maximum equivalent horsepower developed by the three SSMEs is just over 37 million horsepower.

The energy released by three of Rocketdyne's Space Shuttle Main Engines is equivalent to the output of 37 Hoover Dams.

Although not much larger than an automobile engine, the SSME high-pressure fuel turbopump generates 100 horsepower for each pound of its weight, while an automobile engine generates about one-half horsepower for each pound of its weight.

Even though Rocketdyne's SSME weighs one-seventh as much as a locomotive engine, its high-pressure fuel pump alone delivers as much horsepower as 28 locomotives, while its high-pressure oxidizer pump delivers the equivalent horsepower for 11 more.

If water, instead of fuel, were pumped by the three Space Shuttle Main Engines, an average family-sized swimming pool could be drained in 25 seconds.

The SSME high-pressure fuel turbopump main shaft rotates at 37,000 rpm compared to about 3,000 rpm for an automobile operating at 60 mph.

The discharge pressure of an SSME high-pressure fuel turbopump could send a column of liquid hydrogen 36 miles in the air.

Each of the Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters burns 5 tons of propellant per second.

The Space Shuttle main engine weighs 1/7th as much as a train engine, but delivers as much horsepower as 39 train engines.

It only takes the Space Shuttle about 8 minutes to accelerate to its orbital speed of more than 17,000 miles per hour.
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

so no hemi too bad.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It has been done, luckily the rider was wear an areostitch riding suit....:-)

Dave

Grant
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Mojo Willy wrote:
no matter how you kitted, piped, jetted or nitroused it. Scroll past his (very nice) Beetle pix
http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Mojo Willy

All I can think that they better hope that the jets fire at *exactly* the same rate. If one kicks in more than the other, I am guessing that getting it back to some form of a stright course could be tricky.

And yeah, a Metropolitans' brakes are not its strong point.

I would love to see it in action none the less.
Brad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

and he's doing this to his wife's scooter.

I wonder how much life insurance she has.