minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Who/Where Are You People
Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocketjones wrote:
There are a couple of TNR posts in Events that should give you the basics....

I think I've got the idea now... by the sound of it, there are multiple scooter groups in the area? Is there a list somewhere?

I will probably be able to drop by and see what the fuss is about with you guys this coming Tuesday. Maybe I'll attach a rope and drag the Baron behind me. Should make for a nice light show at least...
Egan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You should read the post from a Blodgerist named Gary Charpentier from a while back. He is the new technical writer(?) for the Barwon. I am sorry for your bad purchase but maybe it can serve as your cause celebre.
As far as scooter groups this board is more of a public forum that supports the usual scooterist. There is the Outlaw Scooter Posse (if they exist is to be determined). The Regulars were a vintage group that has evolved into just a loose group that meet for TNR, and Pizza Luce rides, and the rally in August. The Stella has become a major player on this board. While the some/most(?) old original vintage Regulars have receeded into their garages. I would suggest you look back at the archieves and see for yourself What or who this site is. It would be much easier.

dmarquis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Your more than welcome to come on the TNR rides. I will miss this TNR as I am going to be on vaction, but will be back for the Sunday ride. Yipiee... The TNR is set up so that anyone can lead it. (This has yet to happen) Set route ect.... The Sunday rides are a little more aimed at eating and chatting with a ride later...

Dave
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, come on the Tuesday Night Rides. It's good to have a 50cc back there to pick up all the pieces we lose...

I too will miss this week's TNR. I don't know if I'm even batting .500 this year... See you next week if you like it.

trishie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Quote:
by the sound of it, there are multiple scooter groups in the area? Is there a list somewhere?

You are giving us way too much credit! :-)

We are not nearly so organized as all that.

I get the feeling you're thinking the local scootering "scene" (whatever that is) is more organized or more "clubby" than is really the case. I know that a lot of cities have various clubs, with dues & officers & all that jazz, but there's not too much of that here.

This forum is the primary online gathering place for scooterists in the Twin Cities, so just lurk or post as you wish, and look for information on the announced rides and rallies. Feel free to start & announce your own rides too. As long as there's enough notice given, you'll probably find a few people able and willing to go along.

As you get to know people and ride you may find that, just like any social thing, there are clusters of friends who hang out together and do unannounced things together, but, otherwise.... what you see on this forum is pretty much what there is to know.
trishie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:36 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Quote:
I've been watching the Events forum for the last week or two, but that hasn't been terribly enlightening either, aside from fairly cryptic references like "TNR" and "Rally."

Richard does raise a good point, though. For ongoing rides like TNR and the 1st & 3rd Sunday Pizza Luce rides, it might be a good idea to post a "sticky" with all the relevant info in the Events section. That way newbies can easily figure out where & when they should show up without having to trawl through a lot of posts.

Since I never go on the group rides, I'll pass on the actual implementation of this brilliant idea....
fnirt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

From the Minnescoota website:

Quote:
"The Regulars" is a club for vintage motorscooterists in the Twin Cities area.

Minn-Max:

Quote:
We are a group of folks in the Minneapolis / Saint Paul area who enjoy riding together on our touring class motorscooters.

From the TNR web site: http://fnirt.com/tnr/
Quote:
This is the home of the Tuesday Night Ride, an unofficial Twin Cities group scooter ride. Oddly enough, it's on Tuesday evenings.

The TNR is simple a group centered around a ride. So anyone is welcome. Kevin's even ridden a motorcycle some weeks - but we make him keep it in the back of the group. :)

Sadly, this tuesday it doesn't look like many of the typical TNR riders will be in attendance. But the next week (20th) should be another good group. That's kinda why it's weekly - some people can make it every week, some people can only make it once a month. But it's the same route (with the occasional deviation) every week, so someone should be able to lead it.

As for these discussion areas, I'm not sure who "owns" what. Is the new Rally still a Regulars event? Is Minnescoota and it's forums technically a "Regulars" world? I'm not completely sure. In any case I think we're all thankful that these public forums are here for the people who post about pretty much any scootering topic. I think there's a private vintage section, but I haven't ever heard that officially stated.

Regardless of subculture or clubs, it's all about loving scoots. Isn't it?

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sprocketjones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

fnirt wrote:
But it's the same route (with the occasional deviation) every week, so someone should be able to lead it.

Some of those deviations causing incredible rushes of adrenaline!!!

Anonymous
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

trishie wrote:
We are not nearly so organized as all that.

I think this one line has made things more clear than anything that I have come across so far. The 95% lack of organization to the messageboard threw me off a little bit (and the fact that I thought Minnescoota was a group itself and the Regulars hung out around it...somewhere...er...something), so this has been very enlightening.

And yes - a sticky would be good. :D

Do most of you ride 125/250cc then? I can maintain 40/45 mph pretty easily... Traffic hasn't taken off without me so far, but it was a little rough to keep up on Hiawatha when I was on it a few days ago.
EvilScooterKitty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:56 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

As a recent participant of this forum and group, my impression has been that most everyone here is named Nate or Dave..... and they (even the non-Nate-and-Daves) are fun people. I am waaaaaaay too old and unhip to be a charter member of the inner circle, but have found acceptance whenever I have shown up for a ride.

After over 30 years on two (powered) wheels, I have come back to scootering as just plain more fun than motorcycling is (for me anyway):
http://www.justgottascoot.com/about_us.htm

There's usually a mix of people at the Sunday gatherings - a couple of weeks ago Kevin, Dave (fireball) and I were talking about motorcycles.... yes, the scooter elite puffed up their tails and hissed at us, even waving their paws in the air with claws extended, but we still all jumped on our scooters and rode around together.

Check out a Tuesday Night Ride or 1st and 3rd Sunday gathering at Pizza Luce (Uptown, 2:00), worst case - you'll meet some fun people.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Most scooterists are named Nate or Jeremy.
-K

Anonymous
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

So, maybe I missed something.

I appeared in the parking lot next to the monument off of Summit & Mississippi around 6:45, and sat there until about 7:05, at which point I noticed that no one else with a scooter seemed to be nearby.

Did just no one show up? Or maybe I have the meeting place/time wrong?
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Did anybody go tonight? All the "regular" riders (no insinuation of the Regulars there) had said they wouldn't be able to make it, except maybe Becky, so it's entirely possible you just attended the first non-starter ride of the season. I don't think that ever happened last year, but this was kind of an unusual confluence...

Anonymous
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Oh fabulous. Well... um... at least I'm in the record books. You guys keep a record book right? Of course you do... and now I'm in it. I'll mark this as a victory and see if I can pull it off next week too.
michelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

oh, it happened at least once last year... i recall being at the bandshell by myself. didn't matter, i just rode and enjoyed it. fnirt will tell you it was raining, or some crazy story, but pa-shaw. it was a gorgeous night for a ride.

anyway - i'll be there next week for sure, i was out of town until just recently.

hope to see you there, richard!
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger