minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Scooting on the freeway?
Sam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:32 pm  Reply with quote
Training

So in my travels today I saw quite an interesting site. A "flame colored" (no it wasn't on fire, yet) baron scooter on 94/394. Of course the guy had no helmet and forgot that signaling turns was the state law. I was just wondering if any of you guys on larger bikes (I drive a 90 so it doesn't apply...) actually drive on any of the 94's. I realize that 55/7/10 may be okay on a larger bike but 94?!
nate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I used to take 94 from Saint Paul to Minenapolis every day on my commute. 280 was actually worse, because it wasn't as congested so traffic was going a lot faster. It's also incredibly bumpy north of como.

That's during rush hour, though - there's always at least one lane doing less than 50. Riding 94 during a non-peak daylight hours is a bit scarier, because once it loosens up, traffic gets a bit more hectic.
Brad
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:16 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've ridden 35w/94/394 from Shoreview to Minnetonka on a Saturday morning. I've also blasted down 94 between the downtowns for afternoon meetings. A little scarely, WOT is somewhere between 54 and 62 mph depending on the wind and the grade. Plus 60+ mph on 10" starts getting spooky. I think you need a 200cc to be on the freeway legally.

It can be done safely on 200cc plus (Piaggio BV, People 250, Vespa GT, etc.). Not recommended on anything smaller unless you're desperate to get somewhere in a hurry.

jsyx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm with Nate on this, during the morning/evening rush, 35W, 94 to stp, 55 etc. are pretty managable. And i believe that the state minimum is 150cc+ for "hot free-way action." My biggest concern with rush hour traffic is getting squised in between 2 escalades, getting rear ended on a scooter scares the shit out of me, so much so that i ALWAYS try to look behind me when i'm waiting to turn left on a busy street.
I hop on 94W, north of downtown to go to my practice space once in awhile, aside from the potholes, it's not usually that bad... Not too much traffic ever.
35W south of downtown is usually ok if you stay to the right, but i would avoid the 35W/94 interchange, too many jackasses doing 85 trying to get across 3 lanes of traffic doing 40...
Ideally, i would avoid freeways as much as possible. It's not that you CAN'T ride them, but seriously, if you've done it you know why it kinda sucks...

scootervillain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I used to ride between Golden Valley & Scooterville on 394/94 on a P200, then a Stella. Now I usually ride my Kymco 250 motorcycle.
Last night for kicks I hopped on 394 on a Buddy 125. Got to 74mph indicated in a flat following a short downhill.

UriahB
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I actually kind of enjoy riding on the freeway. It's very exhilirating. Although "spooky" is a pretty accurate description of how it feels when the wind starts drifting your front end around on you. I have yet to get a big semi blast either which I imagine would have you trying to do hail marys at 60 mph. I don't think I would do daily commute either, just too many zombies on the freeways, oblivious to the thin strand which is your life. Have to be at the top of your game.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I only go entrance-to-exit when I'm trying to get somewhere quickly and cutting down on time, and only on the Stella. I'm a little spooked when I get above 50 on the 8" VNB.

View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

If the yahoos on the various varieties of new vespas who were wearing the matching bowling shirts shorts and riding 40mph tops in 60+ traffic on 94 are reading this, you do not belong on the highway. You are idiots.
chris
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
If the yahoos on the various varieties of new vespas who were wearing the matching bowling shirts shorts and riding 40mph tops in 60+ traffic on 94 are reading this, you do not belong on the highway. You are idiots.

I nominate Lisa as Minnescoota Poster of the day!

Chris

Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I find that seaching out and riding the non-freeway routes is one of the best plusses of riding a scoot. It gets you off the beaten path, checking out different neighborhoods, gives you opportunities to stop at stores and shops as an easy part of your commute and is probably safer.
minnetonkajoe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:07 am  Reply with quote
Noob

I ride my stella on the freeways.
I ride my stella on the by ways.
I ride my stella to the zoo.
I ride my stella with a crew.
I ride my stella like a man.
I ride my stella as fast as I can.

nate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:

Did Da Who and The Who make it all the way out here from Denver?
fnirt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff wrote:
I find that seaching out and riding the non-freeway routes is one of the best plusses of riding a scoot. It gets you off the beaten path, checking out different neighborhoods, gives you opportunities to stop at stores and shops as an easy part of your commute and is probably safer.

I absolutely agree. And while it bugs me when one of my little backroads the "chipped" it forces me to find more cool areas.

Someone should start a map of streets that have been recently chipped -- either as a warning to riders, or maybe a challenge.

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brad, in Minnesota you can legally ride on the highway on any legally-registered motorcycle (not moped) that can *maintain* at least the posted minimum (usually 45, sometimes 50). So yeah, just about any 125 or 150 is highway-legal in Minnesota. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I ride on the non-interstate highways quite a lot - 55, 5, 61 are all generally fine. 36 is not a lot of fun but I've done it; 280 can be scary as shit, and I don't recommend it. I've blasted between downtowns on 94 a few times, though it's not a good idea. I don't think I'd ride on either 35 personally, though I know people do.

chris
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It's not displacement that is the issue. It's wheel diameter. So there.

Chris