<  Rides and Routes  ~  Wisconson rustic roads
wheeled
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/motorcycle/rusticroads.htm
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

Sorry to dredge this up from the past summer, but the problem I have with the Rustic road system is these roads generally don't go anywhere, and they often have very slow speed limits, uneven pavement, or no pavement at all.

Wisconsin has plans to turn many of its 2 lane state and national highways into freeways. Some of our highways, like US14, are some of the most scenic riding roads you can find anywhere, and they actually go somewhere rather than meandering a few miles between traveling routes. The county highway system also offers some of the best motorcycling and scootering roads in the state. Most of these are not in danger of development as far as I know, and many are fun, smooth, and twisty roads with 55 mph speed limits.

The US highways have the best 2 lane routes for getting across the state, and if you'd like to ride scooters on them I'd suggest making a few calls or sending some letters to our D.O.T. and let them know that we already have Interstate Highways and we don't need or want more scooter unfriendly roads. With the changes being made to parts of 14, some of the best sections of the Madison to Minneapolis scooter route will be ruined. Construction begins Spring of 2008, the last I heard.