minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  The Rally  ~  Group Riding Tips and General Rules for the rides
kennylibido
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Please take the time to review this information on Group Riding.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=84

Regardless of which ride you participate in, the fundamentals are the same.

As for the "City Ride," I will have fliers for each of you so that we all understand the rules for the ride.

First and foremost, the ride planners and staff are concerned about their safety and yours. We will be riding in staggered formation. Please resume a staggered formation after all stops - do not weave or crowd other riders. This allows blockers to move to safety from oncoming traffic while they move to the front of the pack. Please be respectful of their presence and allow them plenty of room if they need to merge - they will usually approach from the left-side, but will, occasionally, move forward from the right. If a ride planner or staff asks you to do something, please do it. if you are waved through an intersection, please proceed. If you are told to increase or decrease your speed, do so. If you do not wish to abide these courtesies, you will be asked to leave the ride after being given fair warning.

Second, we want you to be comfortable and enjoy the ride. The "City Ride" is about 55 miles and will be lead at about 20 to 25 miles per hour. There will be a lunch and fuel stop later in the ride which means that you will need a full tank of gas when we start at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday. I would recommend that you bring bottled water with you as we will only stop for the fuel and lunch break, which could be two or more hours after we start. Keep in mind that lunch is not included in your rally registration fee - you will be paying for your own lunch - bring cash.

Third. Well, there is no third. This whole thing is pretty simple if you ride safely and consistently.

This is not a comprehensive posting and might have some updated info as Rally Day approaches, so please check back. Matt, I'm sure, will weigh in with some of the things he wants you to know - either here or in a separate posting.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe.
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Well put Joe.

Same rules for the fast ride and I cannot stress enough that not all turns will have blockers, if a car is coming at 55mph do not turn in front of it.

If you have a slower bike please start in the front. If you are too slow, can't maintain 45mph, you'll be told to leave or just be left behind. If you're not sure you should go on the fast ride then please don't. If you're new on two wheels don't, if you've never gone faster than 40mph, please don't go on this ride. If you have a maxi scoot, or a plastic scoot please don't (just kidding)(well maybe) Can it be just a metal bodied manual shift scoot ride?

kennylibido
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have submitted the following points which will be included on the rally flier, perhaps with some modifications.

Please read, understand, and obey.

Safety first
Obey the ride staff
Signal your intentions
Allow blockers to pass and merge safely
Drive through blocked intersections but check for traffic
Ride in a staggered formation
Stop side-by-side, two-wide
Maintain the speed of the group
Do not weave or crowd
Adopt a buddy and stop to help your buddy in trouble
Bring bottled water and cash for lunch