minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Non-catalyzed Stella Jetting
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Just put on a non-catalyzed p150 exhaust on my stella and was wondering if anyone has a similiar set-up. I'm curious to find out the new jet size for our altitude.
Jeff
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:13 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

you do not need to change anything.

enjoy
Moses
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

hungaryjack1 wrote:
Just put on a non-catalyzed p150 exhaust on my stella and was wondering if anyone has a similiar set-up. I'm curious to find out the new jet size for our altitude.

Well, I did this, jetting it with a 100. Could bring it down to a 98, I think, but I'm too wussy to risk running it too lean. Runs well, definitely more low-end pull, less drop-off of speed on inclines, and can top it at 60mph or hold pretty steady at 55.

Buena suerte!

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Isn't the stock a 94, 100 seems a bit high. I was figuring on a 95 or 96. How many miles have you logged with the 100?
Jeff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I ran my Stella with a Sito plus with a 95 main jet for about 2000 miles without any problem. You do not need to upjet.
Moses
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

hungaryjack1 wrote:
Isn't the stock a 94, 100 seems a bit high. I was figuring on a 95 or 96. How many miles have you logged with the 100?

I believe I put the 100 on at 4700 miles, last year. I am now at nearly 5300. The plug looks a little darker than it did when it ran stock, but it does not appear to be running rich, which is why I may drop it a little bit (to 98).

Moses
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:57 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quote:
The plug looks a little darker than it did when it ran stock, but it does not appear to be running rich, which is why I may drop it a little bit

I wasn't going to say anything but that just doesn't make any sense!

A darker plug is what happens when you are running rich, and if it isn't a problem why are you rejetting?

I'll say it again, not that you are going to listen to me, but when switching to a stock pipe you do not need to rejet. You ARE too rich moses and you should change your main jet, not to 98 but to 94. Your bike will run much better.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:12 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, No. It's turning into the Stella Speed board!

Not all kitted bikes use the same jets. Even if they are the same bike with the same kit you can not assume that they will require the same jets.
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah well Luke Black says"damn thing don't run, whats wrong with this thing? I've hit with a hammer and everything."
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:33 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
It's turning into the Stella Speed board!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great I'll have to stop reading this board too.....

-Matt
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:52 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

hehe.

As far as I know all STOCK stellas come with a 94 main jet right? That's what we are talking about here. Moses hasn't done anything except put a non-catalysed pipe on his.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh ya. Sorry. I can't keep all those Stellas straight! Did you read about that guy that was pissed because someone said "Nice Stella" to him when he was riding his GS160?

Has anyone opened up the cat. on a stock Stella? It must be restrictive if people are saying it's faster with a non cat. pipe. That would mean the jetting would change - maybe just a little.

Either way, I would'nt assume the jetting between modified bikes to be the same. That can get expensive fast. Some people do and seize.

I just kitted my Lambretta and it jetted way different then someone elses Lambretta even though the set up was the same. I recommend using others info as a guide line only. ALWAYS jet very rich to start and take steps down. You really need to get it to four stroke so you have a reference point to work off of. If you short cut this step you can destroy your top end. Remember, jets are cheaper then top ends!

IMO
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I have a stock stella pipe that I would be willing to sacrifice in the name of science...
Egan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:37 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm using mine as a cute little planter out by the garbage cans.
Moses
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Jeff wrote:
Quote:
The plug looks a little darker than it did when it ran stock, but it does not appear to be running rich, which is why I may drop it a little bit

I wasn't going to say anything but that just doesn't make any sense!

A darker plug is what happens when you are running rich, and if it isn't a problem why are you rejetting?

I'll say it again, not that you are going to listen to me, but when switching to a stock pipe you do not need to rejet. You ARE too rich moses and you should change your main jet, not to 98 but to 94. Your bike will run much better.

Sorry, Jeff, but with all due respect to your tuning talents, I'm going to stick with the theory that the Piaggio stock (non-cat) is less restrictive than the Stella stock (cat), but more restrictive than, for example, a Simonini.

Oh, and FYI, I tried to use information on the Sito+ as the upper benchmark, but at the time I was looking into this, it didn't yield as much useful comparative information as the Simonini-to-Stella-stock comparisons. Only a few people had made a Stella-to-Piaggio-stock switch, which also didn't yield enough useful information.

If I recall, most people who have Simoninis are jetting around 102 or 103. The plug with the 100 jet was "a little darker" than the plug with the 94 (and Stella stock pipe) -- from a very light tan to a slightly darker tan. It wasn't "dark" as in oily. A neighbor, who repairs motorcycles for a shop here in the Cities, took a look at the plug and concurred that it looked good. Additionally, I thought I had read somewhere that Genuine uses a 94 to lean out the mixture to get the Stella past EPA standards. Based on all that, it seemed wise to rejet and split the difference between the Stella stock and the Simonini, skewing the jetting toward running a little rich.

I don't mind risking a rich jetting and working down if necessary. Plugs are cheap. Top end parts are not.

My reason for the switch was partly performance and partly effect. At the time, I wanted a better performance than the Stella stock, but I didn't want the noise of the Sito+ pockety-pops or the Simonini fireworks. The Piaggio stock gives me more pull yet sounds very much like the Stella stock.

Cheers.

Moses