minnescoota.com Forum Index
Author Message
<  General Scootering  ~  Culture under assault
Egan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 511

This thread is about as interesting as a boxers/briefs discussion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:21 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

So why do you drink lite beer Egan? Tastes great or less filling?

-Matt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Egan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 511

Cuz I'm portly, husky, chubby, bigger, not the size I used to be, oh most importantly is I can drink MORE of them! So why do people choose a motorcycle over a scooter..hhmmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:36 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

Egan wrote:
So why do people choose a motorcycle over a scooter..hhmmm...


Cuz they aren't cool anymore!

-Matt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Adam
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:01 am  Reply with quote
Permit


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 69
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota

Matty wrote:
But Adam does sign his posts "The Regulars SC" so I think it's fair to assume that people would think he's speaking for the Regulars.

Matt, the links are only included in my posts when I feel they are appropriate to the discussion as to provide people an opportunity to visit the website and forums of the groups being discussed. I mentioned both The Regulars and by description Minn-Max. I thought it reasonable to add the links.

It also appears to me that it is not uncommon practice on the ScooterBBS to provide links for local scooter groups. I for one never assume that everyone who includes such links is speaking with one voice for an entire organization. Didn't realize others assumed they did.

Further, I included early on in my post the sentence, "The local vintage club, The Regulars, are some really nice people and were my inspiration to form a regional riding group for maxiscooterists." The fact I was speaking about The Regulars in the third person, should make it reasonably clear that I was not acting as a representative of the club, or so I thought it clear.

So now I apologize to you, Matt. Sorry that you also see something in my ScooterBBS post that was not intended.

The funny thing to me in all this, my post was positive about The Regulars. I used words and phrases like, "nice people", "were my inspiration", "The Regulars put on a great rally", "I have had the pleasure in participating in it". I said things like being welcome at the rally and I appreciate how sponsors are handled. I truly feel this way and was happy to say so in public.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
some_dude
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 300
Location: NE Minneapolis

Egan wrote:
This thread is about as interesting as a boxers/briefs discussion.


I wish I had read this comment before I spent 10 minutes reading the entire post. There's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.

It's a beautiful day out there folks, what we wait for here in the land of limited summer. I, for one, am logging off the forum & going for a ride.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ]
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 771

Adam, I understand that you were just voicing your opinion. That it quite obvious. Hopefully, the majority of readers understand that as well.

My point is that your opinion is in some part based on assumptions - as you yourself stated. That's were my beef is. Your partisipation in the Regulars has been very limited, if noteable at all.

How can you say the "newbies" prefer to ride rather then talk about their scooters? That implies that the original Regulars did not ride their scooters as much as the "newbies". You assumed that because it was dicussed on this board and that assumption is wrong. I don't think you were ever involved with the original Regulars rides other then the annual Rally - so you have no first hand knowledge of our riding habits.

Have you heard what happens when you make assumptions?

It is your choice to make assumptions but it is also your opinion that loses credibility when you do.

Finally, I must say your desire to define and control elements of the scooter scene reminds me of a simple minded general manager I once had to work for. Your tone and attitude is annoying. Go manage the Minn-Maxers. The Regulars don't need or want a manager.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Adam
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24 am  Reply with quote
Permit


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 69
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota

...My point is that your opinion is in some part based on assumptions - as you yourself stated...

Actually, I said my opinions were based on observation and discussion. The only time I used the word 'assume' was in reference to post by Matt where he stated "...it's fair to assume that people would think..." I used the same word to demonstrate how one could 'assume' people might think otherwise.

"How can you say the 'newbies' prefer to ride rather then talk about their scooters?"

Because a number of them discussed it while I was present earlier this year.

"That implies that the original Regulars did not ride their scooters as much as the 'newbies'."

No, Derrick, you're reading into it an inference that was not there. It simply means, as others have pointed out in the past, many of the people who do not spend the time restoring / repairing / modifying their scooters are not as interested in such conversations. It is a reflection of what these people would prefer to be doing, not an indication of how much riding the original Regulars did in comparison.

"I don't think you were ever involved with the original Regulars rides other then the annual Rally - so you have no first hand knowledge of our riding habits."

Not sure about this. I did join a Regulars ride in May of 2001 and all the people involved except me had vintage machines. It is possible my knowledge of original Regulars riding habits were through forum postings and conversation. However, since I was talking about the current state of the scooter 'scene' in my post to ScooterBBS, none of this is really a relevant point.

"Have you heard what happens when you make assumptions?"

Yes, first time was back in the 60s on 'The Odd Couple' television show. Part of why I choose to observe, probe, and process before forming opinions.

"It is your choice to make assumptions but it is also your opinion that loses credibility when you do."

Good thing I try to avoid making assumptions then.

"Finally, I must say your desire to define and control elements of the scooter scene reminds me of a simple minded general manager I once had to work for. Your tone and attitude is annoying. Go manage the Minn-Maxers. The Regulars don't need or want a manager."

Derrick, are you making assumptions about my desires? To be clear, I have no desire to define or control any element of the scooter 'scene'. I just take part in the elements that I enjoy.

I appreciate your honesty, Derrick, in that you don't care for my style of posting or your interpretation of the attitude behind it. Not crazy about it reminding you of a simple minded manager, but the way you feel is not for me to judge.

Going back to that desire thing, I have none in regards to 'managing' The Regulars. Heck, I don't even manage Minn-Max. I try to facilitate our online presence and assist in organizing our activities, but manage? Not my thing. I just want to have a good time riding with others.

Hope this is all clear now. I for one would like to stop posting on this topic. However, I will continue to reply if I am addressed or if further postings have mistaken impressions about me or what I have posted. I would expect no less from anyone else.

Be well and enjoy what looks to be a beautiful weekend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Brooke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 215

The discussion on the new exclusive minnesota scooter culture board about this thread is even better than the original. When ya'll get the answer right we'll let you know. I think we've figured it all out except for 3 or 4 folks who insist on agreeing with "some people" on this board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Egan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 511

Brooke you speak in a strange way is that an accent? I don't understand but a really agree with you, and not that someone. You knonw that guy at that place with those guys with the things saying stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:55 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

Brooke wrote:
The discussion on the new exclusive minnesota scooter culture board about this thread is even better than the original. When ya'll get the answer right we'll let you know. I think we've figured it all out except for 3 or 4 folks who insist on agreeing with "some people" on this board.


Ohhh nice first post...who are you again??


-Matt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Brooke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 215

dude, don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. You're the most vocal person in the other boards thread!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

SHHHH!! I don't want my underground culture to go mainstream!!!


-Matt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Brooke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 215

Matty wrote:
SHHHH!! I don't want my underground culture to go mainstream!!!


-Matt


I don't think what WE do on scooters will ever be mainstream. At least not as long as the republicans are running things.

Oh, and tell J to bring rope to the next meeting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
John B.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 231

allot or a little?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT - 6 Hours

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
minnescoota.com Forum Index  ~  General Scootering

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB and NoseBleed v1.09