minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Earth day question.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

How many "Carbon offsets" are you supposed to buy to ride a vintage 2 stroker? What are you Greenies doing?

I've been working on my TP consumption. Tommi says I should use more then 1 square...
SS180
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:07 am  Reply with quote
Training

Derrick wrote:
How many "Carbon offsets" are you supposed to buy to ride a vintage 2 stroker? What are you Greenies doing?

I've been working on my TP consumption. Tommi says I should use more then 1 square...

I don't know, but if you are only using one square of TP, I would like to purchase some "TP offsets" from you so I can justify my excessive TP consumption.
Matty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

bidet.

Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:19 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was thinking maybe we should all become homeless people on the streets. I bet they have a fairly small "carbon footprint". I guess that's where we are all headed eventually.
Matty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

How about harness the homeless for energy? I'm sure you could figure out a way for them to produce cheap energy.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:
How about harness the homeless for energy? I'm sure you could figure out a way for them to produce cheap energy.

Methane?
-K

Brooke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:

I ride a 2 stroke AS a carbon offset. I do it to make up for all that crank case oil from the four stroke engines I use that gets burned up miles away from the vehicle with the smoke blown out of smokestacks of electricity plants and ship boilers. Think Global. Act local. It doesn't get more local that right under your butt.
Lisa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
I was thinking maybe we should all become homeless people on the streets. I bet they have a fairly small "carbon footprint". I guess that's where we are all headed eventually.

I realize you say this to get my little green underpants in a bunch but hopefully "outside on the streets" isn't the only solution to reducing emissions.

Architecture 2030

As a matter of fact, the founder ,Edward Mazria, is speaking this afternoon at the U of M.

Ironically, you have a significantly smaller carbon footprint than most of the "greenies" here. You're certainly doing better than I am. Hopefully someday I can accomplish something to justify the airline mileage I rack up on my quest to get scary chemicals out of building products. In the meantime, I fully expect that you continue to mock me. It's part of your charm.

Anyway, if you want to get a basic idea of your footprint, this caculator is easy to use, but is pretty general as it really only considers emissions based on modern vehicles.

http://www.safeclimate.net/calculator/

There's a better one around somplace for US-specific energy and different vehicle types but I don't have time to look for it right now.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa,

I only mock "green" people because they make it SO easy. I know people can have an impact but I guess I'm just to cynical to believe they will change. I also think greenies need to do better. I don't believe half of what they say. "Carbon offsets, conserving TP, combining trips and hybrid cars won't "save the planet". That stuff is absurd. No credibility.

I personally think a simple life style that is eco friendly is more enjoyable. (not that I don't pollute) So please don't find it ironic, I would enjoy a change.

Um... sorry about your little green underpants.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:26 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, considering that ANY vehicle causes more environmental damage in its manufacture than in its lifetime of operations, all those people driving around in Priuses and calling themselves "GREEN" should really have bought a used car, even if it puffs out black smoke, than a brand-new-just-for-them "environmental" car. The irony of the "environmentally-friendly" new car for the "build it just for me, so I can discard it when it's five years old" crowd is almost unbelievable.

Not that I'm even remotely good from an environmental perspective; but at least I don't pretend to be so.

Lisa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

It is absurd to think just a few actions will save the planet, transportation is a just a drop in the carbon bucket. That was part of my point. Reducing a personal carbon footprint is something that the average person can actually do to take a little personal responsibility though. That's your favorite!

Unfortunately a lot people don't care to live simple or eco-friendly lives. (People that buy humvees and then pay for the carbon offset are my personal favorites).

My underpants are fine, btw.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:12 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Brooke you need to ride your bicycle more.

I can't believe it, I agree with Tom Lindsey... have you watched the news lately? Almost every time I see a story about the environment they promote a hybrid vehicle. Have they really done their homework on them? I don't think so. Again, they have lost my respect completely and this is just one example.

Lisa, I'm sure your underpants are fine.
Matty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick wrote:
have you watched the news lately? Almost every time I see a story about the environment they promote a hybrid vehicle.

Derrick what kind of companies spend more than anyone on advertising?

It's no coincidence that the "news" ran "stories" on hybrids all weekend.

Hey it's earth day what kind of story should we run, how 'bout one on hybrids? yes! our advertisers will love it!

chris
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I love you Derrick even though your a sour old conservative asshole. I also agree with Tommy that you NEED more than one square. I miss our little political talks.

Chris

Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

chris wrote:
I miss our little political talks.

What do you mean? You just got all pissy and started calling me names.