minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  lubing zerk fittings
morgan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

my first post on the new board but not my first dumb question:

now that my front end of my Rally is all rebuilt and like new, i want to lubricate the "zerk fittings" as per the blue book and the "bob's" book and i've never done it before. i don't have either book in front of me at work here, but i think it's something they suggest every 3-6 months or something? can't recall now.

anyway, i've got the grease gun and the little flexible hose, but i was wondering how much i wanna squirt in there? how do i know when i've got enough in? is standard chassis/axel grease ok?

what do you all think is a resonable lubrication schedule for these little zerk fittings? i average about 2K miles a season...
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

There should only be two zerks. One on the speedo drive and one on the swing arm pivot. Both are not very effective at properly lubing there components. The best way to maintain those parts is to disassemble them, clean them, lube them and reassemble them. Which you have already done. Then don't worry about them for at least 5-6 years unless you drive like a mad man.

Most people put way too much grease in those zerks and just make a mess or wreck things.

You can grease the swing arm pivot until you just see a little bit of grease coming out from under the "o" ring seals. Then stop.

If you put too much grease in the speedo drive zerk you can blow out your front hub seals and destroy your brake shoes. One shot is plenty. If you do one shot every year, you will blow out the seals in a couple of years. The grease does NOT disapear. It does turn to crud and needs to be replaced.

Most stuff requires just a little grease. Most manufactures don't use zerks any more. Probably because people either never use them or use them too much.
morgan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:09 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

...that's good to hear. i think i'll just forget about it for 5 or 6 years, that sounds like fun.

there seems to be a lot in those books that's kind of overkill in terms of regular maintainance, huh?

hey, i had one more question while we're at it. a while back you gave a nice quick description of the best way to degrease and clean an engine. i saved it, and the only question i had was do you need to be at all cautious about spraying degreaser and water on the plastic bits, electrical boxes and wires and stuff? in your description you basically just said, spray warm engine with degreaser, wait a bit, and hose off. in the past i've more painstakingly cleaned around all the plastic and wire-y bits thinking i'd do them harm with the solvent or the water...

am i again being too cautious?
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Use "Gunk" brand engine cleaner and you won't have a problem with it eating plastic stuff. Some other strong solvents will eat plastic so be very careful using stuff like carb cleaners or brake cleaners.

I don't cover anything when cleaning but I don't spray cleaner or water directly on electrical stuff like the stater, CDI, junction boxes, switches or wiring harness. It "should" be O.K. if those things get a little wet. The systems are designed to run in the rain. However, if the water does effect the running of your bike just blast the electrics with compressed air and try to dry them off. You want to run the engine to evaporate the moisture you have applied for cleaning. Otherwise, parts may corrode. If you scooter still does not start, let it dry off for a while and try agian. I rarely have had a problem restarting a washed engine.

Having said all that - if you don't mind spending the time covering those things go ahead and do it. It won't hurt anything. Though, I usually get water in whatever I cover anyway.
morgan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:40 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

as always, you're a veritable fountain of scooter wisdom...
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Am I the only one that thinks that "lubing zerk fittings" sounds like something you'd do to a spaceship?
morgan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

it is...

isn't this the spaceship users group forum??

crap... wrong bbs...

;)
John B.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I thought it was more BSMD.
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I like to wear a rubber suit whenever lubing zerk fittings.

Is that wrong?
wheeled
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:54 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Wow your rubber suit has zerk fittings. how handy is that.