minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Any guess as to how much a lambretta LI150 weighs?
do3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:54 am  Reply with quote
Training

I'm looking into buying one of those tilt-a-rack/versa haul type carriers for my lammy. Any idea how much she might weigh? Since my B125 weighs 220 lbs i was guessing a little under 300 for the lambretta.

thanks
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

http://scooterhelp.com/manuals/li150.S3.manual/27.jpg

do3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote
Training

wow, 231 is much lighter than I was guessing. The carrier I am looking at is good for 400 so plenty of margin there.

Thanks Matty
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

It's not what scooter weighs but what you + your luggage weighs. The carrier weight is very little on its own.

The Li Lambretta frame can carry more weight than just about any other motorbike, which was why it was the workhorse that delivered the morning and evening papers for decades to all the Dublin newstands every day. They had aluminum tubs around the frame, chock full of newspapers, buzzing up and down the streets of Dublin, with the front wheel barely on the tarmac due to the weight of the papers. I wish I had a picture I could post, but I've lost that roll of film and can't find any photos online.

nate
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I don't think he's going to be sitting on the Li while it's on the tilt-a-rack behind his van/truck/car

He's talking about a tilt-a-rack for his cage, which would then be used to carry his bike.

Putting a class 3 hitch on a li 150 and hauling another lammy- now that'd be teh awesome!
GP Kevo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:50 am  Reply with quote
Permit

Oh, my bad. I still don't see why he'd need his car to carry his scooter if he can't fit all his luggage on the bike. Why not use a trailer like this guy?

do3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:28 pm  Reply with quote
Training

I plan to use my Lammy like a dingy for my land yacht SUV. Park in the back of the lot and then scoot up to the side walk or store front.

Seriously though. There are times when it would be very helpful, like for Rattle my Bones. I live out in Jordan and there is no way my wife can handle riding for an hour and a half just to get downtown. My LI is only good for about 50 flat out with me riding solo. Two up really slows us down. Plus most of the river crossings down here are posted 55 or higher.

I'll ride it to work and back (Shakopee) and some days that feels like scooter abuse, let alone a ride to the cities. It took me about 1 hour 15 just to ride up for a TNR and that was on my 65 mph Buddy 125. The carrier would be much cheaper than the gt190 kit+crank+carb+pipe+etc to get me up to the cities in a timely manner. Maybe I'm just too new to the vintage world but I'm just not sure my Lammy is up to the challenge yet.
do3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:31 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Oh and I'm not worried about the hitch, I tow a 4500 lb camper with a 650 lb tongue weight with my Yukon. The Lammy + carrier won't hurt it. I was just trying to figure out which carrier to get.

I agree the class III on the Lammy with a Lammy would be quite a sight. Maybe a Lammy carring a Vespa would look better.
nate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:15 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

you'd have to tow the lammy with the vespa! because lambrettas break all the time and are thus inferior!

hahahahaha