Brad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

nice, thanks for posting

Brad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

found the scooter
http://collections.mnhs.org/visualresources/image.cfm?imageid=148978&Page=10&Location=collection%20I%2E16%2E%2A

scootervillain
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

From what I could see from the scooter, the placcard on it, and a little digging, it looks to be a Zundapp Suburbanette.....

"Zündapp Scooters (1951-1984)
In 1951 Zündapp decided to take a look at the scooter craze sweeping Italy. After designing a few prototypes based on some of the more popular Italian designs, Zündapp decided that Germany was ready for a homemade scooter.

The Bella is not as curvy as the Vespa or Lambretta scooters of the day, but the elegant design did catch the eye of the ciritcs at the 1953 Frankfurt show.

Characterized by a very large front fender with a slim rear end and a tubular motorcycle-like frame, the Bella had strong resemblence to the Moto Parilla Levrier scooter. The Bella had large 12-inch wheels and was originaly produced in only a 150cc model. Later a 200cc model was released which boasted 10hp.

In 1955 an electric start version of the 200cc model was released as well as a special USA-only model called the Suburbanette. Substantially changed for the American market, the Suburbanette wasn't nearly as popular as the original model and in the end only 370 were sold. "http://www.provost.org/Bella/History.asp

Looks like it was going for $ 395 at the time. Pretty hefty chunk of change for 1955.

Old timer who used to stop in at the shop told about a dealer on Central Ave NE just into Columbia Heights.

P.S. 53 years after Tiny was photographed on the Zundapp, the motorcycle show will roll through town next weekend. See you there!!

Brooke
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I remember going to look at a sweet little Zundapp K50 about 5 years ago in S. MPLS. It was really cool. But, of course with old machines, all the cool parts were in the details with cable oilers built into the levers, awesome pressed steel bodywork rather than tubes and chrome on the tank. The guy had all the original paperwork, it was white with a nice patina and was asking about 500.00. I passed on it.
Spikehead
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

[quote="scootervillain"]From what I could see from the scooter... it looks to be a Zundapp Suburbanette"

Yep, spot on! I owned a Bella 150 for a short time and have seen a fair number of other Bellas over the years, but I've never seen a Suburbanette in real life. Neat looking scoot, but the Bella is one I really want to own again.