minnescoota.com Forum Index
Author Message
<  General Scootering  ~  Blocking assistance needed
nate
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 587
Location: Best Saint Paul

Matty wrote:

So you know Kevins mom?


Ihave just had a new phrase introduced into my lexicon. While internet forums in general tend to rapidly degenerate into massive piles of ad hominem attacks, we seem to have a particular deftness with the ad mominem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raisin Hell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote
Training


Joined: 10 Aug 2007
Posts: 40
Location: Harriet-ish

Or, if you're British, ad muminem.

_________________
2006 Daring Plum Vespa LX 150
Lou
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
ron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:03 pm  Reply with quote
Permit


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 72
Location: santo paulo

or if you're ghetto: ad eminem

_________________
yup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
NathanielSalzman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:22 pm  Reply with quote
Training


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Location: Twin Cities Metro

Wow. I love how the original question STILL hasn't really been answered.

As for who you ride with, I didn't used to care, but after the ride I attended weekend before last I think twice about going on Heck's Angels rides at all anymore. It's one thing to be new to a group ride, which I was even a few weeks ago, but it's quite another to never actually catch on! Seriously, how hard is it to keep up with the group and stay in the damn formation? It's one thing to not quite get it at the beginning of the ride, but if 45 minutes later you're still refusing to keep up with the group, there's just no excuse for that. The group leader pulling the group across oncoming traffic without any blockers was a nice touch too.

_________________
----------------------------------------------------------
Silver 1979 Vespa P200E - Ooh! Polishing compound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
kennylibido
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 352

NathanielSalzman wrote:
Wow. I love how the original question STILL hasn't really been answered.

As for who you ride with, I didn't used to care, but after the ride I attended weekend before last I think twice about going on Heck's Angels rides at all anymore. It's one thing to be new to a group ride, which I was even a few weeks ago, but it's quite another to never actually catch on! Seriously, how hard is it to keep up with the group and stay in the damn formation? It's one thing to not quite get it at the beginning of the ride, but if 45 minutes later you're still refusing to keep up with the group, there's just no excuse for that. The group leader pulling the group across oncoming traffic without any blockers was a nice touch too.


This is archetypal passive-aggressive Minnesotan at work for you. Ride blockers emerge in one of two ways: a) Folks step up here or privately or b) they emerge ad hoc during the ride.

There will be information delivered to each rally participant about riding in formation, being attentive to rally, ride and blocking staff (who are generally barreling up toward the front to sustain the cycle of blocking), and the basic courtesies of riding in general.

I do not fuck around with weasels who don't get it - there are simply too many things that can go wrong with this many bikes on the road at one time in a small space. Rally staff will eject those who don't play well with others.

With that being said, ad hoc blocking is usually a great solution for blocking on-the-fly when required. Trust me, the ride staff always appreciate someone stepping up to block when it's obvious it need be done.

We've pretty much determined the route for this year's "big" ride and it has a few areas where we could use dedicated blockers, but there is, otherwise and generally, a bunch of right hand turns that make for a relatively light-blocking ride.

I still would love to see three or four more folks step up for blocking, particularly the ones who have experience.


Last edited by kennylibido on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ]
NathanielSalzman
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:58 pm  Reply with quote
Training


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Location: Twin Cities Metro

kennylibido wrote:
I still would love to see three or four more folks step up for blocking, particularly the ones who have experience.


I'm more than happy to volunteer, but I could use a primer on doing it right. I think I get it from the Pizza Luce ride two weeks ago, and my Blur can easily catch up, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Let me know.

And actually let me extend that to a willingness to help with Rattle My Bones in any way you guys need.

_________________
----------------------------------------------------------
Silver 1979 Vespa P200E - Ooh! Polishing compound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:47 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

kennylibido wrote:
Rally staff will eject those who don't play well with others.


Except those that are ejected are told by someone else that it'll be OK to show up anyway. Then when asked to leave again they let it be known that they have a giant can of mace and will call the cops because we didn't have a parade permit. If you hit a blocker, esp. after repeatedly being told to watch your riding, you are done and should never be allowed at a rally again. The shitty thing is he'll get someone killed one day. Worse yet he thinks it's "cool"

I love planning rides and think I plan good ones, but I'll never post a ride publicly again because of people like that, vintage or modern, and more than likely never go on others rides either.

And while I'm complaining STOP HONKING YOUR FUCKING HORNS ALL THE FUCKING TIME!

_________________
-Matt
-++-you can't spell jackass with out JKSC-++-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 771

I LOVE riding with Matt! Really I do. He is the ROUTE MASTER! Plus he can ride like a pro not some dumb ass flip flop wearing punk.

That was a killer ride on the camping trip! Lets do it again soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:53 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 812
Location: St. Paul MN USA

Derrick wrote:
I LOVE riding Matt!


I knew it.

_________________
No sometimes means yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 771

dmarquis wrote:
Derrick wrote:
I LOVE riding Matt!


I knew it.


Your just jealous Matt gets my lovin and you don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

Derrick wrote:
I LOVE riding with Matt! Really I do. He is the ROUTE MASTER! Plus he can ride like a pro not some dumb ass flip flop wearing punk.

That was a killer ride on the camping trip! Lets do it again soon.


And the best part is 25% of my rides make Egan seize his Serveta! I don't know why we let him ride that with us, it's not Italian or vintage.

_________________
-Matt
-++-you can't spell jackass with out JKSC-++-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:59 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

dmarquis wrote:
Derrick wrote:
I LOVE riding Matt!


I knew it.


Hey now!

Getting back on topic.... about blocking you need to talk to Chris, his mom is so big she can block all four streets by herself...


Last edited by Matty on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
-Matt
-++-you can't spell jackass with out JKSC-++-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 771

Matty wrote:
Derrick wrote:
I LOVE riding with Matt! Really I do. He is the ROUTE MASTER! Plus he can ride like a pro not some dumb ass flip flop wearing punk.

That was a killer ride on the camping trip! Lets do it again soon.


And the best part is 25% of my rides make Egan seize his Serveta! I don't know why we let him ride that with us, it's not Italian or vintage.


Egan's just paranoid. It's all in his head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 1323
Location: MPLS

Derrick wrote:

Egan's just paranoid. It's all in his head.


Brain seize?

_________________
-Matt
-++-you can't spell jackass with out JKSC-++-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:05 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 771

Matty wrote:
Derrick wrote:

Egan's just paranoid. It's all in his head.


Brain seize?


More like a fart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT - 6 Hours

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
minnescoota.com Forum Index  ~  General Scootering

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB and NoseBleed v1.09