minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  NSR - Need your experienced opinions - FOR REAL THIS TIME!!
kennylibido
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

some_dude wrote:
kennylibido wrote:
I know more about Jets now than I ever thought I would.

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

And now I know even more. Why aren't Puerto Ricans smarter than the rest of us? They have giant heads - from this photo we can conclude that they have heads that account for 1/5th their body mass.

BTW, who the fuck was drinking or smoking what when they called one thing a Needle Jet and the other a Jet Needle? WTF?
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The Jets weren't the Puerto Ricans - they were the ones who were hating on Puerto Ricans.

kennylibido
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I saw West Side Story about 35 years ago and don't remember anything about it except it was a musical - if the guys in the depiction above aren't Puerto Ricans, what the hell are they? If they look like that, they shouldn't be hating on any other swarthy skinned dudes - or is that a point of irony in the movie?

Found out I was wrong about the stock jets on the bike - they're #90, not #98. When I removed the jets, they were stock #90. I put #85 in there and the bike is running about 90% better. I just need to figure out what other associated changes are required to be made because of a jet reduction.

The bike picked up about 10 mph on the top end.
Derrick
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:02 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

That is strange. Maybe those custom pipes are making it breath worse.

Now that would be a surprise...
kennylibido
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

There are "air pods" on the bike as well - the voting body seems to think that there is increased air flow as a result. Some weird synergy is likely causing the bike to require smaller Jets in the aggregate.
Brooke
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

kennylibido wrote:
There are "air pods" on the bike as well - the voting body seems to think that there is increased air flow as a result. Some weird synergy is likely causing the bike to require smaller Jets in the aggregate.

That doesn't make sense but it's possible. The air flow was designed to be well balanced. Foam pod filters will decrease the resistance of air flow. It could be changing something with the air pressure balance at the front of the carb and the subsequent pull of air through the main jet circuit.

After reading some carb information on http://www.groupwracing.com/ (go to the tech area and there's some stuff in the first article.), which is on CB160 race bikes, it sounds like open or pod filters may or may not affect jetting nearly as much as I'd imagine (based on 2 stroke experience).

As a left field suggestion, check your plug heat index and see if the modern plug you are using is a good match to what the bike was designed for.
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Pods are a sonofabitch to get jetted right. It also depends on the type you are running. Emgo pods suck (chrome caps; look kind of like k&n), K&N are overpriced and Uni's seem to only affect the need clip position and the main jet.

Personally I'd ditch the pods, go back to a stock airbox and make sure your mixture screw is set right (see clymers/haynes manual) it's either 1 1/2 or 3 but not in the middle.

If that doesn't work, order new pilot jets as yours could have been drilled.

Also make sure that the needle is in the middle clip position if it's adjustable. If not make sure there are no shims underneath it (small washers).

You can zero your idle setting by turning the idle adjuster on each carb until each butterfly just seats. Then that's as close as your going to get to a sync without the proper tool. Turn each setting up equally thereafter till you reach an optimal idle speed. (900-1100 rpm-ish)

I wave you fuckers.
Derrick
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:48 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I agree the stock air box is most likely better. I bet that's long gone and Joe won't want to spend time tracking one down. The stock pipes are probably better too. But people think a loud engine is a more powerful and healthy engine.

Cynical? Hell yes!
hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The nice thing about jap bikes is they are a dime a dozen. I'm sure ebay has got one on the cheap.

I wave you fuckers.