minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Daring to share the obvious.
Moses
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

G-r-a-v-e-l. Gravel. Tiny little rocks. Bad for scooters. Ba-a-a-d.

Minneapolis is doing its annual road chipping once again. I found out the hard way a couple of days ago, when I mashed into a pile at 42nd North and Lyndale. Fortunately, I only hit a small pile, didn't panic and kept going unscathed.

28th South between Hennepin and Lyndale has also been chipped this week, too.

As a public service announcement: All you first-year scooterists! Be careful. Gravel will remove that new scooter look in nano-seconds. One minute, you are tooling along, looking oh-so-cool. The next minute, you are asking yourself, "Wasn't I riding a scooter just now?" before your knees/elbows/palms/face (wear a helmet, dangit!)/butt hit(s) the pavement. The advice I have heard seems to have worked so far: Take it slow, don't take hard turns or other sudden movements forwards or in stopping (lay off the front disc brake, too), and you should make it through.

With all the recent talk of scooter accidents, I felt compelled to try to nip one usual problem in the bud. Any veterans out there care to share their wisdom (or correct me), go for it, please.

Keep the shiny side up, everyone.

Moses
Yowling from the Fencepost.
Modern thoughts from a vintage brain. (...or was that the other way around?)
Becky W.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:36 am  Reply with quote
Training

It's just more evidence that our various municipalities aren't 2-wheel-aware.

I don't know why the re-chipping crews can't stick a sign in the ground that says WARNING LOOSE GRAVEL. I've almost bit it in my CAR on that stuff, and was glad I wasn't on scoot. It really sucks, because it affects not only scoots and motorcycles, but also bicycles! So everyone, PLEASE be careful. It's bad enough to wipe out on hot smooth pavement, and even worse to dump it on hot sharp gravel. And WATCH OUT for not only the city streets and alleys, but parking lots and driveways too.

If you're worried about your "new scooter look" there's one really easy way around that. Drive a nice, weathered, scratched-up, slightly dented old scoot with some character that actually looks like it gets used! Then new dings are just more battle scars you can tell stories about, and it's less likely to get stolen, too! YAAY! ;o)

"I think Pringles initial intention was to make tennis
balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to
show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But
Pringles is a laid back company. They said "Fuck it.
Cut em up."
My Pal Foot Foot
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:55 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

So they did the street cleaning today to pick up the leaves. Here is a super great tip to save some $$$$ (bucks) and some space in your trash!!! Rake the leaves in your yard onto the street and they will pick them up for free! And watch out for wet leaves on the road they are as slippery as rechipped rock.

I finally ask you. Is there anything better then Handsome Dick Manitoba?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwf-xZzIAE

One word, hot guitar licks + hot pants = unstopable
LOREMipsum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I wouldn't bet on the leaf pickup crews taking care of what you push into the street. It's actually not allowed, at least in uptown.

Back in the day (a year ago this month) as an apartment manager I pushed all of our leaves into the street only to come home from my day job to find a huge pile of leaves and other gutter trash in our front lawn. They'd pushed all the leaves from our side of the street and for most of our block onto our property. I'm talking a pile of wet leaves 2-3 feet tall, 3-4 feet wide and 20-30 feet long. We were already the property that the wind deposited most of the immediate areas leaves on and there was a 50 year old tree-of-some-sort-with-a-shit-ton-of-leaves in the parking lot across the street that I was responsible for as well. Before calling the city I looked it up online and found it to be a no-no. It didn't exactly say that the slack-jawed yokel driving the truck had the right to drop a load on our lawn but I figured I was in the wrong, put down the phone and got to work rakin'.
pemkt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote
Permit

On The topic of gravel: If anybody is ever riding in the Eau Claire area (yeah -- I know, not likely) be aware that they have recently installed a sort of perma-gravel on the roads in front of all the schools. The idea of course is to slow traffic down. However, on a bike it's like shifting from a nice hard surface to a mushy gravelly surface -- not fun. If you're not ready for it things could get bad.

-Tom in Eau Claire