minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  commuters
Brooke
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:36 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

How many people regularly commute by way of scooter? If you do is your ride classified as a 'moped'?

Does light rail and 2.70/gallon gas make it easier to leave your scooter at home?
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Commute? That would require a jobby-job, which lets me out. I have never understood the "commuter mentality" anyway, this lemming horde that swarm the highways twice a day, one little person per SUV, lined up for miles in their little coffins. I do not get it, the only thing I can think of, for redemption, is that the rest of their lives must be worse, therefore sitting in traffic while their life ticks away must seem somehow less painful.

However, ever since I took your advice and got a Buddy, I can't think of a better grocery-getter or errand runner than a smart twist and go! Especially traffic-clogged events, Uptown Art Fair, State Fair, May Day, Brit Pub, Grand Old Day and the like. No parking problems. While I didn't get the MP rating on my plates, I've never had a problem parking by bicycle racks or up on the sidewalk out of the way. I must look so pathetic on it even the potential road ragers in their Hummers allow me to split lanes, that is, to crawl along up to the front of the pack in stalled lines of traffic. If you do it on a motorcycle they might go off on you.

Glad to hear you are commuting. What's yer putt these days? ET?

Mojo Willy
nate
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I go to work every day in order to provide food, shelter, scooters, and other mundane materialistic garbage for my family. It's depessing, and I'm going to die one day, and so are my kids, and so are their kids (if they have kids). It's a pretty hellish existance, but it's pretty tough to back out now.

And I ride my scooter to work every day.* Gas prices and trains don't really factor in. By the time I put on big-brother-mandated insurance, new repair bits, protective gear, etc, I pretty much swallow up any MPG advantages I may have eked out. And I put my (as mentioned above, pretty worthless) life way more at risk on the actuarial tables, which is kind of a drag.

(*unless:
I have to haul something bigger than my cargo net and rear rack can hold.
I'm expected to ferry people to another event.
I'm expected to attend an event at a distance of over 20 miles away, and timeframes don't allow for avoiding major interstates.)
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Travel time by freeway 8 minutes, by scooter friendly route 45 minutes. Extra 74 minutes per day with 2 year old: priceless.
Brad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:28 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

$$ wise, the savings was in parking, gas and insurance - especially if you work downtown. The ride was nice and it saved me buying an extra car when I did it.

Brad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:30 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Oh, light rail and 2.70/gallon gas had nothing to do with the decision really.

hungaryjack1
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I ride every day the weather permits; I don't do it for any reason other than to look like a Badass and enjoy what little of the day I actually can.

I wave you fuckers.