minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Help needed in getting a scooter
fuzzybunny
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a scooter for riding here in the Twin Cities but need some help. Thing is I don't "live" here, I'm from Toronto, Canada and will be spending the weeks here on business from now until the end of the year and would love a scooter to get me to/from work. So what I'm trying to figure out is the following:

- What kind of license do I need to ride here? I have a full automobile and motorcycle license in Canada but not sure if I need a Minnesota license to register/insure or even rent a scooter here.

- I'm going to see if my Canadian insurance company will insure any scooter I buy/rent here as I already have an insured motorcycle back in Toronto. But if not, any info you guys have would be appreciated.

- Given the above two issues, I'm thinking it might be better to rent a scooter while I'm here. (Plus I think if I buy I may run into issues getting the scooter back to Toronto.) So ideally a 3 month, long term rental that would probably cover the insurance and all that. Does anyone know of such a place here in Minneapolis?

Anyway, any info/help here appreciated. If I decide to buy I'm sure I'll be coming back to you folks for help there too. :)

Thanks!

Steve
dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

fuzzybunny wrote:

- What kind of license do I need to ride here? I have a full automobile and motorcycle license in Canada but not sure if I need a Minnesota license to register/insure or even rent a scooter here.

I am pretty sure that you can ride with the lic. that you already have.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I can speak to the insurance question. Obviously, if your Canadian insurance covers it, that's best, but otherwise it's really cheap to insure a scoot. I've heard Progressive is really cheap, but I use Farmers for everything, and they insured my new Stella with standard 30,000/60,000 liability and comprehensive with a $100 deductible for only $175/year. You need at least the 30/60 liability and uninsured/underinsured driver insurance - required by law - but anything else is optional. I hear you can insure a scooter with just the legal requirements for well under $100/year. My Farmers agent, Steve Wolfson (612-822-1190) rides a motorcycle himself and has been extremely helpful with the whole thing.

Good luck!

dmarquis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:18 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

here is what the Minnesota Motorcycle manual says about insurance:

Quote:
INSURANCE

The No-Fault Insurance law requires all motorcycles registered in Minnesota to have liability coverage for property damage or injury to another party.

Where liability insurance is required, the no-fault injury and uninsured motorist protections are optional. Coverage for damage, loss or motorcycle theft is also optional. Name of insurer and policy number must be provided when registering.
fuzzybunny
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

Awesome - thanks for the info folks!

Does anyone know of anywhere that would offer extended scooter rentals though?
Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:45 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

There are some places that do daily rentals but nothing long term that I am aware of. They are cheapo chinese 50cc scoots as well. At the daily rate It would almost be cheaper to buy a Kymco.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah, seriously I'd probably talk to the guys at Scooterville - if there's any long-term rental available in the area, they probably know. And if not, they can sell you something inexpensive and fun.