minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  moped law
Ben
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:12 pm  Reply with quote
Noob

I just bought an old moped at a yard sale. it's 49cc and has pedals. Do i need a license plate on it to drive on the roads? I don't have a title for it either. I tried to find legal info on the minnesota state site, but couldn't. Any links that you could point me to?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yup, you need a moped plate and insurance. It's pretty cheap though. Not sure about a title service, though.
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:36 pm  Reply with quote
Permit

I titled a scooter this spring, and it wasn't too much hassle. Go to the DMV and get forms to apply for a title, then bring it in with the bill of sale and a "statement of facts" from the seller. You will need the seller to sign the application form. You will also have to bring in pictures of the front, back, and both sides of the moped.

There's more info here:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/MotorVehicle/dvstitle.html

(You might be able to get the forms online)

They did not ask me for bond $... I think this varies because they don't run across no-title vehicles much so nobody really seems to know what they're doing. The first place I went (Wayzata) said I would have to bond the scooter, but I needed more info from the seller before we could go ahead. The second trip I went to the Ridgedale DMV and they didn't ask for bond. They gave me a title and it cost a whopping $42.75.

(Also, I have a friend who has titled a lot of mopeds; I can ask him if there are any shortcuts and let you know if I find anything out)
kennylibido
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

When Derrick sold me the 61 Lambretta, it came with no title. There's a way to get a title except it requires a little creative license. Anyway, the State did not require that I bond it and sent me back the photos about twelve weeks after I titled it.