minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Days of my smallframe
Lisa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:15 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Okay, that makes a little more sense, maybe. So, how do I drill it out seeing as the extractor is stuck there, or do I go in from the side with the saw and then drill it out? Sorry, I'm a little slow.
Derrick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Man are you slow - I mean are you even moving?

Just kidding!

You should be able to pull the brake assembly out and away from the frame. You might have to use a wide screw driver or hard spatula to pry it off. Be careful not to bend the frame metal.

Once that is away from the frame, you can disconnect it and then you will have access to the inside of the tunnel.
some_dude
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
He did get the fender on almost all by himself though.

That kid is going to have the best material for the "What did you do during summer vacation?" essay.
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:23 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Derrick - You mentioned that you didn't think that the grommet on the bottom was critical. Exactly how not critical? It's not like it's expensive, and I'm placing an order tomorrow, but would delay on hooking up the cables if there was really any reason to wait for it. I really don't want to do that twice. It's not like it makes it water tight or anything, and I'm just trying to make it mobile, not cute, but wondered why it was there in the first place if it isn't really necessary.

I actually wrote down what I hoped to accomplish tonight, but deleted it because I was afraid I'd jinx myself. At the very least, I'm going to make a list of what I need to order tomorrow.
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The grommet is just to keep dirt out of the frame and protect the cables from rubbing on the edge of the hole. Nothing critical. It's your call.

If you were making a beautiful restoration I would say you need to have it.
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Another thing - I LOVE pictures. I didn't ever see this thing assembled, cables and all, and so it is really helpful for me to look at pictures since I don't have an assembled smallframe to compare it to.

Have any of you guys referred to this website, or know if the advice is good or not?

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/niall.king/smallframes/

I know there is plenty of bad info out there, and I can screw this up all by myself, I'd prefer to take advice that doesn't make screwing up even easier.
Matty
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Yeah that's a pretty good site.

some_dude
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:52 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Lisa wrote:
Another thing - I LOVE pictures.

Anytime you need a photo of something specific - I'd be glad to help. My 70's smallframe is remarkably unmolested & could be a good example. I can go out to the garage & take what you need.
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey thanks!
Lisa
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:42 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Nothing much to report, but need a break from spreadsheets.

I worked for 1-1/2 hours last night. The rear brake petal assembly is really a mess. Even though I barely put any force on prying it off the frame, I ripped a bit of the frame. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to get it back on properly. Moving parts move, but connecting parts (those that I need to remove to put in the new cable) are totally rusted in. Once again, green girl is experiencing better living through chemicals (I hope it's better at least). The parts are recieving a regular shower in rust remover/lubricant.

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't move the wiring through to the rear brake light. I pulled a chunk of cable through a few times to see what was blocking the way....big, thick wads of spiderwebs that were almost solid....eeeeeeew! I feel like an archeologist or something digging around inside the frame. The rear brakelight is wired now though!

Unfortunately, I have so much work to do on my house that I'm not likely going to make much progress in the near future. I forgot my list of parts to order at home anyway.

I'm still not frustrated though, which is very strange. I think there is something wrong with me.
Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:41 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I've been looking online for one of those fancy gas cans with the fuel line. I've been calling it a "temporary gas tank" a "mobile gas tank" and a bunch of other things. I've added the words "motorcycle" and "scooter" to the search. I just want to find out how much they are. If they're cheap, I'll buy one so that I don't have to reassemble everythign just to see if the scooter will run and find out that it won't and I have to take it all apart again. I know several of you have them. What do you call them when you bought them online, or did you pick them up locally?

(While this is totally irrelevant at this point as I haven't done any work since my last post, I just feel like I had to take some action, however small. I'm pretty loose in my definition of action these days).
Derrick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:51 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I got mine from Northern power tools. They have a small engine repair shop in the back and they had a used one they just gave me. It came off an old snow blower. I bought an in-line fuel valve there too. Super handy for working on old Vespars and Lambys.
John B.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:08 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

would a gas tank for a outboard motor be what you are looking for?
Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:34 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

DUH. That would be exactly what I'm looking for. Seems totally obvious now. Thanks.
Lisa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Does anybody have a crummy old smallframe tail light that doesn't work that they want to get rid of?

I'm looking for a piece of one, a lightbulb holder spring that is Vespa part 98121. It isn't sold separately from the tail light, which is kindof pricey when I only need one little piece.

Thanks in advance!