minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Scooter vs motorcycle license
fondej
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:27 am  Reply with quote
Noob

Hi All-

I am looking at buying a 2001 Zuma in Minnesota. In addition to loving to ride, I want to be able to park it for free at my job in downtown Minneapolis. I know that Zumas now have to be licensed as motorcycles but I am wondering if any of you know that if the current title describes this scoot as a moped/scooter will I be able to keep this endorsement or will it in the transaction end up being classified as a motorcycle? Were older sccots grandfathered in to the old law with the new law being applied only to new purchases? The Zuma is 49cc but it has 4HP and the law now requires 49cc and 2HP or less for scoots. If anyone can help me before i take the plunge, I would really appreciate it!

Jan
wheeled
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:23 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

What kind of plate does it have now?
fondej
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:44 am  Reply with quote
Noob

It has a moped plate now.
wheeled
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:17 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

you are fine. Just transfer the title. In the eyes of the state it is a moped. unless you give them a reason to think it is not. You are not going to do that, are you. GOOD. When you ask to transfer the title on your MOPED make sure you have the engine number. Just chant to your self it's a moped it's a moped. over and over. as you wait in line. The over worked underpaid state employee, will think you are crazy, and will not ask you hard questions as long as you have the engine number. Remember... IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED,IT'S A MOPED...
Egan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:54 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

And as far as parking on the sidewalks/bike racks I don't think that you can actually do it LEGALLY but it is sometimes overlooked. Kind of a gamble if you want to risk a ticket or tow.