minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Dregni's new scooter book
jeremy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:41 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

SOS! Aiuto! Au secours! Hjlp! MayDay (m'aidez)!

Dear Vespisti, Lambrettisti, Doodlebuggers, Cushman addicts, and even modern scooter buffs, I need your help! I'm writing a new scooter book for Motorbooks tentatively called "Scooters and Damn Near Everything You Need to Know About Them" and was looking for advice from hardcore scooteristi. The book will be full of little blurbs covering everything from fashion to flywheels to picking the right scooter to sultry pick-up lines for a ride on the pillion seat. If you have any guidance for beginning and wannabe scooterists, send it my way! The funnier the better. I'll have a whole section of scooter slang, so let me know if you have any good (technical or otherwise) jargon to use. I'm especially looking for advice for these other sections: books, movies, 'zines, racing, websites, rallies/rides, collecting, buying/selling, customizing, maintenance, safety, tuning, and bureaucracy. The best advice usually stems from awkward experiences such as falling on your face during gymkhana, snapping brake cables (and no replacement) in darkest Wisconsin, picking up your date when you have grease to the elbows from fixing your damn lammie, etc.

Lists are good, but so are brief anecdotes about how you learned what you did. I may need to rewrite, edit, or combine with other advice as well. I'll use your name, nickname or leave it anonymous if you prefer.

The deadline is painfully close (of course), so I need any submissions by May 15th. Please keep it short and concise (the book follows the prestigious USA Today style of short snippets for our ADD society). Although Motorbooks wouldn't give me a budget for freelance submissions, I convinced them to give me a bunch of copies of the book. If I use your bit of advice, you get a signed copy!
Scoot on,
Eric Dregni