minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  The Rally  ~  No name yet rally (formerly known as Skooter Du)
Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:27 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Back from the dead, with a new name on the way, the rally formerly known as Skooter Du will take place next year, August 11-13.

I will take over the role of coordinator. Matty will be planning another great "big ride," our dear 433 will be our fabulous MC and I *think* we have the gymkhana covered. The format will remain the same, as will many of the venues.

If you loved the rally this year, please come and join the planning fun. There will be plenty of opportunity to get invloved when the time comes. Lots of those that have worked so hard to make the rally a success in the past have earned a long-deserved break and opportunity to just show up and have fun.

If you didn't like the format, I can appreciate that, but this event isn't going to be a whole lot different. Thanks in advance for keeping this forum pleasant for those that are happy with what this event has become.

Watch here for updates.

Thanks!
Egan
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:04 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

If you are doing it in simiar style (album names for rally name etc)
here are P's albums for ya.

For You 1978 Warner Brothers
Prince 1979 Warner Brothers
Dirty Mind 1980 Warner Brothers
Controversy 1981 Warner Brothers
1999 1982 Warner Brothers
Purple Rain 1984 Warner Brothers
Around the World in a Day 1985 Paisley Park
Parade 1986 Paisley Park
Sign 'O' the Times 1987 Paisley Park
The Black Album 1987 Paisley Park
Lovesexy 1988 Paisley Park
Batman 1989 Warner Brothers
Graffiti Bridge 1990 Paisley Park / Warner Brothers
Diamonds & Pearls 1991 Paisley Park / Warner Brothers
O(+>

That'l keep it going till 2020

Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:11 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

You think you're pretty funny, don't you?
nate
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:28 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:33 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Hey the artwork is down already!

Or you could go with a one hit wonder like "Funkytown" less pressure that way...

nate
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I say you just need a new theme every other year. You come up with a theme, and I'll hire a high-powered marketing lab to come up with the second year's theme, based upon target marketing affecting the scooter-crowed demographics. Then the third year, you come up with a new one, and I'll take care of the year after that. Etc.
Lisa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:46 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Now THAT could be an interesting addition to the gymkhana.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Or the Replacements:

Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash
Stink
Hootenanny
Let It Be
Tim
(the album that has "Here Comes a Regular" on it)
Pleased To Meet Me
Don't Tell A Soul
All Shook Down
All For Nothing/Nothing For All
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JoeP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:45 pm  Reply with quote
Training

Another local eighties suggestion. . .

In Combo
Credit in Heaven
Dream Hog
Love is the Law

Only gets you through to 2009.
Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:02 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Fuck it.

Just kill it off...
kennylibido
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:51 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Too many people love Matt's et al's rally to kill it off. That shouldn't even be a conversation point, Jeff.

What would really be sweet is if the various scooter interests in the Twin Cities agreed to disagree and went their own ways as far as rides go throughout the year. The Regulars has taken on its own life and likely will continue to thrive so long as folks step up to announce and lead rides.

I think the vintage crew (I don't recall what that club is calling itself these days) should do exactly what they've been doing which is maintain their own cool thing - I don't view any clubs as exclusive so much as focused. I think I am pretty much a poser who can hang on the fringes of just about any group which is OK by me. I'll go where the ride is.

The truth is that most scooter riders don't give a fuck about anything but the ride and could pretty much, like everything else in life, take or leave the various personalities involved. I consider some folks I've met to be friends and others not. No big deal.

As far as a yearly rally goes, the various groups in Chicago, from what I've gathered, do their own thing but get together to help out with rallies which makes perfect sense - I think of Sturgis where folks converge for a few days to embrace biking madness/weirdness. Too many people love it. Too many. It's a beautiful thing that Lisa's stepping up. Truthfully, I can think of no one better to take the reins. Props.

I think the Prince symbol with the scooter is actually pretty rockin and suggests a logical theme, "The rally formerly known as the Du." That's if Matt doesn't mind the homage. Besides, Mr. Rogers Nelson and his weirdness smack of the Cities and the silliness of scootering. He's a hobbit from what I understand being three feet tall and all. They make him look normal size by getting the camera really close.

This is yet another reason I'm looking for work in the Cities! Count me in for helping out, Lisa. I may not be in the Cities if I can't find work by that time but I will definitely lead the "City" ride again if that is what you wish.

Joe.
some_dude
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:07 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think it's good news to hear that the big rally will continue much as it has been. Thanks for stepping up, Lisa. Count on my help when the time comes.

I also agree with Mr. Libido that while it appears the local scooter community is splintering off, we can all come together to organize & support a big rally once a year.
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:29 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Thanks both!

There are lots of scooterists around now, more styles and such to choose from, and more opportunity to hang with people that that you really have a lot in common with if that's what you choose to do. I think that's great.
morgan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

kennylibido wrote:
I think the vintage crew (I don't recall what that club is calling itself these days) should do exactly what they've been doing which is maintain their own cool thing - I don't view any clubs as exclusive so much as focused.

i didn't know there was a vintage "club" -?- beks organized a couple rides, and there's the parka run, but is there actually a vintage-only "club" in town? be cool if there was. i wish i had the time to start one. kudos to anyone who steps up to organize anything. hat's off, lisa!

i agree with kenny that clubs focusing on one kind of vehicle or another is "focus" and not "exclusion". just saying "scooters only" is a "focus". so why not a "chetak club", or "kymko club" or "matte black rat club" or whatever. it's all just for fun, right? there's enough stellas in town for a huge, stell-o-rama ride or something...

and how 'bout the substitutes sc with those cool t-shirts! having lots of different clubs is cool, then having one big "all scooter" rally at the end of the year to bring everyone together balances it all out.

a lot of towns support multiple scooter communities. it's more fun that way in the end...

Last edited by morgan on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:50 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

I'm not organizing anything but a rally.