minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Everyone OK out there?
Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:39 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Quite a storm eh? Power finally came on for me about midnight. My inlaws lost a 6ft diameter maple and their dog is missing.
Jo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:07 am  Reply with quote
Permit

It was a wild night, but all is OK here (Plymouth) -- scattered branches on the lawn, some flattened tomato plants, but that's about it.

School is cancelled in the district where I work (power still out and lots of trees down). My boss called at 5:00 a.m. to tell me not to come in, and ooh, were my kids pissed that I have the day off and they don't!

I hope everyone's okay and the dog comes home.
Tom Lindsay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:22 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

The nice thing about living in the core is that the suburbs take all the brunt of storms. In south Minneapolis, we had some thunder and a bit of rain, but nothing violent like that...

Hope all you suburbanites are okay...

Egan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:07 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Um, NE Minneapolis and north Minneapolis got smacked pretty hard so that notion of being safe in the "core" does'nt really hold true.

PS a tornado did hit Minneapolis in about 1978-or 80 near lake harriet.

Matty
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:26 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
Um, NE Minneapolis and north Minneapolis got smacked pretty hard so that notion of being safe in the "core" does'nt really hold true

You should know by now that no one cares about North and NE by now Egan!

fnirt
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:35 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

Egan wrote:
Um, NE Minneapolis and north Minneapolis got smacked pretty hard so that notion of being safe in the "core" does'nt really hold true.

PS a tornado did hit Minneapolis in about 1978-or 80 near lake harriet.

Our neighborhood (36th & Pleasant) has a few sections of treeless street from that storm. Even though I believe the city does "deflect" storms from time to time, I always think of those trees when the sirens go off.

Tuesday Night Ride: http://www.fnirt.com/tnr
View user's profile Send private message [ Hidden ] Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ron
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Permit

I left work on the scoot about 9:30pm during a lull and got about 1/2 a mile before getting thoroughly drenched. 30mph on 494 was no fun either!

And by the way - HAIL HURTS!
Brad
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:16 am  Reply with quote
Licensed

In our neighborhood in Shoreview, the power was out until 2am. The power was still out on my scoot in this morning through Arden Hills.

A lot of debris around, but no major damage. The kids didn't have to go to school today.

kennylibido
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:01 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Matty wrote:

You should know by now that no one cares about North and NE by now Egan!

North? NE? I read something about them in a book of mythical places. Right after El Dorito and the Fountain of Vermouth.
amy_irene
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:18 pm  Reply with quote
Training

my satellite television went out for about ten minutes. it was really scary--a whole ten minutes without t.v.! we had the storm in St. Paul and it was scary looking but apparently not as damaging as everyone's talking about here and at my work today.

actually, the radar on t.v. looked as though a huge clown face was coming towards the cities. it was even crying. no, I wasn't high--Nate saw it too so he can vouch for the clown face.

Ron, you're hard core! I can't believe you drove your scooter in that. you rock!
Lisa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:19 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Info about tornadoes and cities (myths and misconceptions):

http://www.tornadoproject.com/myths/myths.htm

Yes, tornadoes hit cities.

They hit suburbs too of course. I just returned to the office after spending a lovely sunny afternoon with a chainsaw in Arden Hills cleaning up two trees that went down in my dad's yard.
jsyx
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:37 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

fer realz...
nobody got hurt in andover where houses were destroyed, but a guy on the north side of minneapolis got crushed by a branch when a nearby tree was hit by lightning.
He died.
I was outside doing the same thing he was, probably around the same time...
i didn't die. Lucky for once.

Kevin K
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:35 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I was working last night when it hit. Then the power went out. Only two of the emergency backup lights worked. We were able to round up whatever customers were left in the store, and got everyone into a group. Once the storm moved through, we let everyone out and waited for other customers to come and pick up their dogs from the grooming area. Two of us had to stay until 9:00 (official closing time). Sitting in the store, in the dark, with the only sounds being that of the squeaking wheels the hamsters were running on...I thought "they don't pay me enough for this shit".

Driving home, I was constantly advoiding debris in the road--including LARGE pieces of business signs, a car bumper and God knows what else. Shingle Creek had flooded over, so there was a couple feet of standing water on Brooklyn Boulevard. There was also a tree down across two lanes.

My neighborhood looked about the same. Debris and tree branches everywhere. Trees down.
A neighbor's fence had blown down so one of my Greyhounds had gotten into the neighbor's yard. Fortunately they have a 6 foot privacy fence around the entire yard. Still, the second storm had already started while I was trying to find Tommy (the dog) and eventually I got him back into the house. We were both soaked, but he apparently had a lot more fun then I did.

Power came back on around 4-5 this morning. Then went out again at 4:30 p.m. Obviously it's back on.

Hope everyone's alright (pets included)!
K