minnescoota.com Forum Index
<  General Scootering  ~  Fuel octane
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:44 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

The only thing I hate Nate is putting ethanol my gas tank. If I hated farmers and America then I'd be hating myself, which I don't.

I think that the best ethanol comes from juniper berries and the agave plant, and this conversation is making me too thirsty especially given that it's only 2 pm. May I buy you a Father's Day drink?

MW
nate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:00 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Better make it two!

Lev. 15:17
Mojo Willy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:21 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Everything goes DOUBLE for you!

Hey, Bartender![/b]
Derrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Interesting discussion on ethanol.

I remember the first time I used it in my car. I thought it sucked. Hard starting, rough idle and loss of power. This is just my opinion. But I pay attention to how things run and my car ran much worse. I thought, how can this be more efficient? Well, I don't think it is. But, this brings me to the whole question of gasoline blends. Just what are we buying at the pump? What is "clear" gas? Have you ever cleaned your carb bowl just to find out that when you let it sit and evaporate you have more "dust" and crud in your bowl? I'm not sure the new blended fuels are user friendly dispite the eco benefits.

I know somewhere someone has written all about how great our new blended fuels are but I guess I don't see how it's all so great.

Taking it one step further - are electric vehicles really that eco friendly? I thought batteries where nasty things that are hard to dispose of when they are spent. What about all the cost of development?

I know gasoline won't be around forever but I'm not sure we have any really good replacements yet.
dmarquis
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:29 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

I think that if an engine was designed to run alchy it would be great... or more likey the carb, but probably the entire design would need to be redone. Look at top fuel dragsters, they run on alchy and nitromethane and they are screaming.... I saw a show on the country of Brazil switching sometime in the 70's entirely to alchy ran cars from GMC. Now they only get like 10% of the country's energy from foriegn oil....

Dave
Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:30 pm  Reply with quote
Licensed

Clear gas, accordining to the little sticker on the pump, is gas with no additives. It is intended for off road, vintage and collectors vehicals only.

There is a efficiency difference between these fuels but it is subtle. Ethanol has about 2/3 the useful energy density of gasoline, so if you were burning 100% ethanol you would need 1/3 more to do the same work, but we don't burn 100% ethanol (or gas unless you are burning clear gas), we burn an 80%/20% mix so if we do the math you would find that 1.00 gallon of 80/20 gas/ethanol is equal to .93 gallons of clear gas. So you get about 7% more ooph per unit volume. This translates almost entirely to better gas milage rather than more horsepower though. The trade off is higher levels of noxious fumes at the pipe, mostly CO and O3 which are prime contributors to smog.